Laughing City

Are your parents divorced, and how old are you?
Yes. 18-22
5%
 5%  [ 4 ]
Yes. 23-26
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Yes. 27-30
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Yes. <18
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Yes. >30
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
No. 18-22
48%
 48%  [ 35 ]
No. 23-26
8%
 8%  [ 6 ]
No. 27-30
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
No. <18
16%
 16%  [ 12 ]
No. >30
9%
 9%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 72

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I wouldn't have liked these two songs if my parents had not divorced:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkqOf94mr-w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moidPfDvRic
and that vid even quotes Pantheon's infamously erroneous statistic to start things off.

Anyways, it's obvious that getting let down by your parents can make you an easy mark for emotional songs about family issues, even by mediocre bands, that a generation too late to be relevant in the long term.

Oh well...

Yeah, my Mom and sisters used to clobber my from time to time, maybe cause I looked like my dad to them. Then I outgrew them all by age 12, and there blows stopped hurting, and so they stopped swinging things at me. Things got better after that. For some reason I lost my will to stand up for myself outside of home though, and became a super pacifist... meh...

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

my parents are disgustingly in love.
i come home sometimes and they're making out on the couch.
i tend to vomit a bit when that happens.

i think they argue sometimes, just to add some variety.
They met in highschool, my mom was 18 when they got married, my dad was 21.
They had kids right away.

I think they really are soul mates, if that exists.
More than that, they understand that love is a choice.
It's an action, not a reaction.
It's a verb, not a noun.

The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

Nightmare wrote:
hisownshot wrote:
Nightmare wrote:
My parents have been married for 25 years or so and they're still happy. I've talked to my dad a lot about it because I'm recently engaged and he said that he attributes a lot of that to a conscious decision he made that he would always put his wife and family first before anything else. I think that is really the trick. A lot of people have a selfish view of marriage, and jump ship at the first sign of trouble. Obviously that's not the case every time, but it is a growing trend. I don't personally believe in "falling out of love" as a justifiable reason for divorce, especially when there are children involved. A relationship takes hard work. I know there are probably going to be times where my wife will hate me and I'll hate her but forgiveness and change and sacrifice are really the keys to a marriage. From what I've noticed. There are legitimate reasons for a divorce, but it is not a cure-all.
I sort of disagree with that. My parents seem to always be arguing, and over stupid little things. My dad drinks a little too much, definitely works too much, gets grumpy too fast and blames everything on my mom. I don't think they're in love anymore, and I definitely don't think staying together for the children (there are four of us) has made anything easier other than financially. All of my siblings and I have struggled with our father, granted things could be much worse, but I think that most of these issues resulted from falling out of love, and I think would it would have been easier on us children to not have to see or hear their arguments. I know this especially holds true for my sister. It hurts us to see our parents in an unhappy relationship.

I can see where you come from and where you drew your conclusion from my post but that wasn't my point. I mean that simply falling out of love doesn't constitute a divorce (people getting just bored, etc). Your situation seems more like an emotionally abusive relationship. I'm no authority by all means but this is kind of what I'm studying in college right now. I think that those problems definitely need to be addressed, ideally through complete change and forgiveness. Sure much easier said than done. And there will always be people (I'm not saying this is your case) that refuse to change. It's hard and heartbreaking. But to the main point of my original post, it's work. Marriage is something that needs to be something that both parties work at. It sounds very dreamworld-esque I know, but the ideal marriage is when both parties work hard to fulfill the needs and wants of the other. This sacrifice and love makes it a lot easier to hold through the hard times.

I completely agree. And I don't think it helps that Hollywood has, sort of, glamourized divorce and have almost shown it in a light that it's perfectly fine to just give up on your relatioship. For the most part, you would fight for a friendship if it was starting to fade away, would you not? I just don't understand how people just "get divorced" for reasons that could easily be worked out.

Now, with abuse and adultery I understand. Not only does it break your trust, it hurts you and breaks the commitment that you both made.

cynlovescandy wrote:
my parents are disgustingly in love.
i come home sometimes and they're making out on the couch.
i tend to vomit a bit when that happens.

i think they argue sometimes, just to add some variety.
They met in highschool, my mom was 18 when they got married, my dad was 21.
They had kids right away.

It's a verb, not a noun.

I think that's awesome. My parents are sort of like that. They joke about almost everything with us. It's gross, but it's nice knowing that they still love eachother. My parents pay for me to go out to eat or see a movie so they can have alone time. Haha.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

cynlovescandy wrote:
It's a verb, not a noun.

I love hearing about other parents like that. My parents are best friends, despite being two very different people with occasionally conflicting personalities. I really think they've only been together so long because they understand that it's supposed to be hard. It's inspiring. Smile

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
cryptictonight
Lost at Forum

My parents have been married...27 years? I think.
They are still very in love.
And that is not to say that they haven't had rough times... I can remember a fair share of fights and disagreements. there was one period, specifically, where our family was confronted with a difficult issue, and my parents had to work through some things in their relationship. But I think the most important thing is that I saw them work through it--and it is this deep respect and mutual devotion they have for one another that has really made their marriage.
I feel very blessed that they have given me such a beautiful example of true love.

uncreative
Vintage Newbie

I must say that I'm somewhat surprised by the results of the poll. I know this isn't a scientific poll, but I thought the divorce rate would be higher. It's a pleasant surprise, but still a surprise.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Yeah, us "Broken-Homers" are a distinct minority around here, or just slow to vote. But the results for this poll are twice a lot of the pop culture ones, so that's saying a lot. I'm surprised to see so many people grumpy about their parents being together. I know there are reason's to wish they weren't, abuse, dysfunction...

anyways, you don't what you've got until it's lost. That's all I'm sayin.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Last edited by wilsmith on Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total
ladiosadice
Lost at Forum

My parents have been married 31 years.
I would consider they got married pretty young. My mom was 26, my dad was 24. (And now this is when everyone says how strange it is my mom is older than my dad Rolling Eyes ).
I can't really say if they are happy or unhappy together, but they seem pretty content. They never argued a whole lot when I was growing up. They get frustrated with each other and can generally work through it.
I think if anything, they have pretty common communication issues. My mom wants my dad to listen to her when she talks about her day, and she thinks he isn't listening.

A few years ago I watched this presentation done by a Linguistics professor at Georgetown University. It was all about the differences in how men and women communicate. It was really fascinating.

I think when you're aware that men and women expect different things from communicating it can help in avoiding tension in a relationship.

And I swear in that moment we were infinite
BLOG l FLICKR
Dan and Sam
Golly, Poster

My parents have been married for 54 years... pretty cool Wink
Lost Account 14083
Sea Post King

hisownshot wrote:
My parents have been together for something like 29 or 30 years, but sometimes I wish they'd get divorced, as awful as that sounds.

There were times in my parents marriage where I thought that they were going to get divorced. But my parents got over their rough patches (what relationship doesn't have their rough patches though?) and will be married for 25 years this december.

They got married in their early 30's and they had dated for like 3 years and they overcame a lot (and boy do I mean ALOT) in their first couple of years of marriage, so it kind of comes as a no-surprise that they have stuck together all these years and I admire that so much.

I do have some friends that got married REALLY young *cough*19*cough* and they only knew each other 4 months before they got married and their marriage is sinking faster then the Titanic.

There is a definite correlation between the two, but I think that it also depends on the people involved.
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

skylitveil wrote:

They got married in their early 30's and they had dated for like 3 years and they overcame a lot (and boy do I mean ALOT) in their first couple of years of marriage, so it kind of comes as a no-surprise that they have stuck together all these years and I admire that so much.

I do have some friends that got married REALLY young *cough*19*cough* and they only knew each other 4 months before they got married and their marriage is sinking faster then the Titanic.

There is a definite correlation between the two, but I think that it also depends on the people involved.

I think that also is dependent on what Hannah was saying on the first page - that alot of it is about knowing who you are as a person. It's only after you understand yourself you can truly share that with someone. I can think of older couples who got married after dating for about four months. They're mid twenties, and I have no reason to even suspect that they would get divorced (that said, they did all know eachother for at least three years before dating).

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
soupey
Sea Post King

my parents are still together and I think will always be. I mean, neither of them has ever dated anyone else. they got together in college and have been together since. it's funny though because they're very opposite. my mom's a sarcastic athiest from a sarcastic, very finnish family. (finnish people are very unemotional and stoic and stuff) my dad's a semihardcore catholic who is also a scientist who comes from a warm loving, big family. total opposites.
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

soupey wrote:
my parents are still together and I think will always be. I mean, neither of them has ever dated anyone else. they got together in college and have been together since. it's funny though because they're very opposite. my mom's a sarcastic athiest from a sarcastic, very finnish family. (finnish people are very unemotional and stoic and stuff) my dad's a semihardcore catholic who is also a scientist who comes from a warm loving, big family. total opposites.

One of my brother's friends growing up was Finnish... they served him beer with dinner when he was 12. Shocked Cool Laughing

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
soupey
Sea Post King

Pantheon4 wrote:
soupey wrote:

One of my brother's friends growing up was Finnish... they served him beer with dinner when he was 12. :shock: 8) :lol:

hahahaha well I guess we aren't THAT finnish then

sukieinthe_g
Golly, Poster

wilsmith wrote:
I'm surprised to see so many people grumpy about their parents being together. I know there are reason's to wish they weren't, abuse, dysfunction...

anyways, you don't what you've got until it's lost. That's all I'm sayin.

I was surprised to read that too. I don't know everyone's situations, but still. That's a rather intense thing to wish. Maybe it's warranted, though.