Laughing City
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

The_Paronomasial_Mattoid wrote:

I'm not talking about these types of artists. A lot of these are still pretty much, indie. Of course not all are. I was more refering to the music that is popular now and always lingering on the radio. Rap and all that jazz.

Most indie artists are like Eisley, in the way that honestly do care about their fans. But Eisley is still the most humble and nicest, that I've seen, in a long while.

I wasn't throwing that cast list out at you specifically, but since everyone was making qualms about Personal lives vs. Professionalism vs. Success, I figured when I mention that movie ( All We Are Saying ) I need to highlight the aspect of it that got my attention, the scope and profile of the subjects of the film. These interviews are candid, not Talk Show verbiage. They are very human, and humanizing, much closer to what some have sniped at Eisley for, and the artists in this film have mostly been people who've gone Many Times Platinum and been at the Apex of their success in their genres, or witnesses to someone close to them doing so, and many have also experienced the career killing lows as well.

That said, to isolate Eisley like they are engaging in some taboo has more to do with people not knowing just what else is out there in terms of disclosure from other artists.

Doing interviews for my journalism stuff, I've found that if you get the opportunity to contact an artist directly, if you ask thoughtful questions, you will get answers the kind of answers you'd get from any decent person, if that's what they are. If they are honest and open, they will give you those kind of answers. Most people don't make a career, or past time, of asking, so they only see what makes it through editorial. "Mystique" is an illusion that's kept up until there's enough interest in a Biography. People are People. Don't believe the hype.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:

I'm not talking about these types of artists. A lot of these are still pretty much, indie. Of course not all are. I was more refering to the music that is popular now and always lingering on the radio. Rap and all that jazz.

Most indie artists are like Eisley, in the way that honestly do care about their fans. But Eisley is still the most humble and nicest, that I've seen, in a long while.

I wasn't throwing that cast list out at you specifically, but since everyone was making qualms about Personal lives vs. Professionalism vs. Success, I figured when I mention that movie ( All We Are Saying ) I need to highlight the aspect of it that got my attention, the scope and profile of the subjects of the film. These interviews are candid, not Talk Show verbiage. They are very human, and humanizing, much closer to what some have sniped at Eisley for, and the artists in this film have mostly been people who've gone Many Times Platinum and been at the Apex of their success in their genres, or witnesses to someone close to them doing so, and many have also experienced the career killing lows as well.

That said, to isolate Eisley like they are engaging in some taboo has more to do with people not knowing just what else is out there in terms of disclosure from other artists.

Doing interviews for my journalism stuff, I've found that if you get the opportunity to contact an artist directly, if you ask thoughtful questions, you will get answers the kind of answers you'd get from any decent person, if that's what they are. If they are honest and open, they will give you those kind of answers. Most people don't make a career, or past time, of asking, so they only see what makes it through editorial. "Mystique" is an illusion that's kept up until there's enough interest in a Biography. People are People. Don't believe the hype.

Oh, I get that. I'm not saying I know about every musician out there. But out of the bands and artists that I do know of, the indie and classic/oldie ones seem to be the most humble.

I read an interview with Mary Costa recently, she voiced and did the singing for Aurora on Sleeping Beauty. I was utterly amazed at how humble she still is and she's been in the business for so long. It's really crazy.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

piperjay23 wrote:

I am not smarter than anyone here. I would never claim to be. It's odd that people can't hold an intelligent conversation or banter without trying to undermine someone by calling them elitist or arrogant. That is so French Revolution. Get over yourselves.

Laughing You get over yourself. Razz You've definitely claimed to be smarter. You make somewhat valid points sometimes but it's you undermining yourself.

piperjay23 wrote:
They will grow and they will attract more fans. And those fans will be just as important as you all are today.

Now as far as new fans not posting because of fears of being bashed, I hope that's not the case but I don't blame them. There's some scary witty people here that are even ruder than you that I don't dare post against haha. Hmm.. there is one girl that I think quit posting because I made fun of some Regina Spektor lyrics she liked, it was really just a joke, I like Regina Spektor just fine. I guess I should pm an apology to her but I'm still not sure that's the reason she quit posting.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

A lot of those people on the list are "big" as much as "classic", too.

Also - you forgot to put Imogen Heap on that list. She's secluded, but just enough. The process of her making her new album has been very long but she's really kept her fans in the loop.

I just cut and paste the list from IMDB, with wiki might have a bigger list... Oh, there is no wiki! Some of the folks might have gone uncredited as well...

Yeah, there are some RnR HoF'ers, but keep in mind some of them were not huge money makers or universally accepted. Even more so, a lot of those artists are trying to survive as performers now, outside of their heyday, sometimes with limited or no support from labels. I think their struggles say even more about what's going on. The more contemporary artists they mention are generally very successful, in some cases more for their celebrity than major commercial breakthroughs. The thing about Eisley is, as a few have mentioned already, they are making what some will consider timeless or classic music as a contemporary band. All We Are Saying shows the universality of the experience artists on all those levels are going through.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
A lot of those people on the list are "big" as much as "classic", too.

Also - you forgot to put Imogen Heap on that list. She's secluded, but just enough. The process of her making her new album has been very long but she's really kept her fans in the loop.

I just cut and paste the list from IMDB, with wiki might have a bigger list... Oh, there is no wiki! Some of the folks might have gone uncredited as well...

Yeah, there are some RnR HoF'ers, but keep in mind some of them were not huge money makers or universally accepted. Even more so, a lot of those artists are trying to survive as performers now, outside of their heyday, sometimes with limited or no support from labels. I think their struggles say even more about what's going on. The more contemporary artists they mention are generally very successful, in some cases more for their celebrity than major commercial breakthroughs. The thing about Eisley is, as a few have mentioned already, they are making what some will consider timeless or classic music as a contemporary band. All We Are Saying shows the universality of the experience artists on all those levels are going through.

I meant to put aren't. They are big, but in a classic manner. That's what I meant. Dang my typo's.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:

dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I meant to put aren't. They are big, but in a classic manner. That's what I meant. Dang my typo's.

If you'd of said that, I would have still played devil's advocate and been like:

Well the majority of those classic artists consistently went Gold in their prime, which was like going Platinum 10 years ago in the Music Businesses prime, when there was no-such thing as pop as a genre in and of it self. Singer Songwriters were considered Pop, as were balladeers and rock bands. If we go back 25 years and earlier, Pop actually really did mean Popular, but could be any kind of music. Now, Iggy Pop and Patti Smith, those are two who skirt that line of success and art really well, but they both have, at the least, Rock anthem for their generation to their credit.

All that said, a lot of classic stars in this movie were big in their heyday, who now operate on the same level as the smaller bands of this day an age, if they're fortunate enough.

grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

I think the reason I'm such an avid fan is because they're real. There's no veil with them hiding behind analyzing every move before they make it or any information they put out. They aren't fake, by any means, and they are so humble.

If anything, the blame goes on the fans who abuse that privilege of being in the know. I feel so blessed and privileged to have found a band that actually takes to heart messages that were sent their way, letting them know that we, the fans, are by their side for better or worse. That when they hurt, we hurt. When they overcome a trial or something huge happens, we all celebrate with them. It's not the most useful way to use your time, but I think it's pretty dang special and I cherish it.

I wasn't planning to post in this thread but I must chime in with mikep0922, this bit is pretty awesome.

emilytheanteater
Sea Post King

i think eisley's perfect just the way they are. =)
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

emilytheanteater wrote:
i think eisley's perfect just the way they are. =)

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

mikep0922 wrote:
Dorky? No way! I think you nailed it! Especially that last paragraph! It made me want to cry! Smile

grain thrower wrote:

I think the reason I'm such an avid fan is because they're real. There's no veil with them hiding behind analyzing every move before they make it or any information they put out. They aren't fake, by any means, and they are so humble.

If anything, the blame goes on the fans who abuse that privilege of being in the know. I feel so blessed and privileged to have found a band that actually takes to heart messages that were sent their way, letting them know that we, the fans, are by their side for better or worse. That when they hurt, we hurt. When they overcome a trial or something huge happens, we all celebrate with them. It's not the most useful way to use your time, but I think it's pretty dang special and I cherish it.

I wasn't planning to post in this thread but I must chime in with mikep0922, this bit is pretty awesome.

Haha, thanks. It's true, though. I really meant it what I wrote right there.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:

rmlawrence
Vintage Newbie

piperjay23 wrote:
And yes, the last time I posted something controversial on these forums, the place erupted with activity. So in some odd way I might be an accidental unifier. And in another way, much of the "hate" I have gotten might simply be because some people here have posted 10,000 times and have yet to say anything thought provoking or useful to or about the band. They hate me because they can't articulate a meaningful thought outside of what bagel they had for breakfast or what crap homemade song they just put up on myspace.

But I'm comfortable with it...whatever it is.

I certainly don't hate you; that would be harsh. But I think one of the problems I have with what you say is that you present few facts and you sometimes present assumptions (and opinions) as fact.

You said, "I own a small business that generates a lot less revenue than Eisley." Care to give us some numbers? How much revenue does your business generate and how much revenue does Eisley generate? What is the threshold for "a lot less"? There are other questions I can ask but I'll start with those.

You called yourself a "fixer" in that first post but you didn't offer any fixes with regard to health insurance. You expressed shock that they didn't have any, but you didn't turn that shock into anything constructive. In fact, you never even told them to get insurance. You could have directed them to the plan you use. You could have directed them to people who might be able to find a plan suitable for them. But you didn't. You only addressed that problem.

I'll stop with that about your original post.

You said, "some people here have posted 10,000 times and have yet to say anything thought provoking or useful to or about the band." Every member with anywhere near that number of posts became a member at least three years before you became a member. Did you read most of their past posts? Had you been lurking for years before you finally signed up? I suppose it's possible you were exaggerating when you used the number 10,000. But as a person who has been lurking and who advises others to blog less for the sake of their business, how much time do you really devote to reading all the posts made on this forum? If you do spend much time here reading posts while still being able to get health coverage for your family and employees then there is the possibility that time spent blogging isn't the entire problem.

You said, "They hate me because they can't articulate a meaningful thought..." How many hate you? Perhaps you're confusing hating what you say or hating the way you say it with hatred toward you. Maybe it's not hatred. Maybe it's annoyance or frustration.

Perhaps some do hate you but not because they can't articulate a meaningful thought.

Perhaps a lot of people come here because they want an escape from articulating meaningful thoughts. I'm sure there are many other forums for reasoned discussions or debates. Maybe they go there when they're not here.

You can't make a statement like "because they can't articulate a meaningful thought" as fact without running the risk of upsetting people. You said, "I am not smarter than anyone here. I would never claim to be." However, saying that people hate you because they can't do something implies that they hate you because you CAN. And because of that, people might believe you think you're smarter... without you actually ever saying so. It certainly comes across that way to me.

I've posted nowhere near 10,000 but I have been a member here for over 6 years. How do you know I've never presented a meaningful thought? Heck, how do you know I hate you? Just as you can criticize Eisley without hating them, many of us can criticize you without hating you. A lot of people might not even disagree with your thoughts, but your methods don't seem to be winning very many people over. Of course, your goal isn't to get our approval; it is to help Eisley. But if that was your one and only goal, you should have chosen to send them messages privately or you should have chosen to respond only to Boyd and Kim and not the rest of us.

I don't know what I'm talking about any more. (And there's no way I'm going back to proofread this message... which bugs me immensely.) It's almost 1 a.m. and I have to be up at 5:30 and I think I upset my wife... on Mother's Day, no less. Maybe I should continue to stay away from this forum. -sigh-

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

rmlawrence wrote:
piperjay23 wrote:
And yes, the last time I posted something controversial on these forums, the place erupted with activity. So in some odd way I might be an accidental unifier. And in another way, much of the "hate" I have gotten might simply be because some people here have posted 10,000 times and have yet to say anything thought provoking or useful to or about the band. They hate me because they can't articulate a meaningful thought outside of what bagel they had for breakfast or what crap homemade song they just put up on myspace.

But I'm comfortable with it...whatever it is.

I certainly don't hate you; that would be harsh. But I think one of the problems I have with what you say is that you present few facts and you sometimes present assumptions (and opinions) as fact.

You said, "I own a small business that generates a lot less revenue than Eisley." Care to give us some numbers? How much revenue does your business generate and how much revenue does Eisley generate? What is the threshold for "a lot less"? There are other questions I can ask but I'll start with those.

You called yourself a "fixer" in that first post but you didn't offer any fixes with regard to health insurance. You expressed shock that they didn't have any, but you didn't turn that shock into anything constructive. In fact, you never even told them to get insurance. You could have directed them to the plan you use. You could have directed them to people who might be able to find a plan suitable for them. But you didn't. You only addressed that problem.

I'll stop with that about your original post.

You said, "some people here have posted 10,000 times and have yet to say anything thought provoking or useful to or about the band." Every member with anywhere near that number of posts became a member at least three years before you became a member. Did you read most of their past posts? Had you been lurking for years before you finally signed up? I suppose it's possible you were exaggerating when you used the number 10,000. But as a person who has been lurking and who advises others to blog less for the sake of their business, how much time do you really devote to reading all the posts made on this forum? If you do spend much time here reading posts while still being able to get health coverage for your family and employees then there is the possibility that time spent blogging isn't the entire problem.

You said, "They hate me because they can't articulate a meaningful thought..." How many hate you? Perhaps you're confusing hating what you say or hating the way you say it with hatred toward you. Maybe it's not hatred. Maybe it's annoyance or frustration.

Perhaps some do hate you but not because they can't articulate a meaningful thought.

Perhaps a lot of people come here because they want an escape from articulating meaningful thoughts. I'm sure there are many other forums for reasoned discussions or debates. Maybe they go there when they're not here.

You can't make a statement like "because they can't articulate a meaningful thought" as fact without running the risk of upsetting people. You said, "I am not smarter than anyone here. I would never claim to be." However, saying that people hate you because they can't do something implies that they hate you because you CAN. And because of that, people might believe you think you're smarter... without you actually ever saying so. It certainly comes across that way to me.

I've posted nowhere near 10,000 but I have been a member here for over 6 years. How do you know I've never presented a meaningful thought? Heck, how do you know I hate you? Just as you can criticize Eisley without hating them, many of us can criticize you without hating you. A lot of people might not even disagree with your thoughts, but your methods don't seem to be winning very many people over. Of course, your goal isn't to get our approval; it is to help Eisley. But if that was your one and only goal, you should have chosen to send them messages privately or you should have chosen to respond only to Boyd and Kim and not the rest of us.

I don't know what I'm talking about any more. (And there's no way I'm going back to proofread this message... which bugs me immensely.) It's almost 1 a.m. and I have to be up at 5:30 and I think I upset my wife... on Mother's Day, no less. Maybe I should continue to stay away from this forum. -sigh-

I have sorely missed your posts. I know you put a lot of time and effort into them, maybe more than necessary, but you have a way of laying things out in a logically airtight manner that's inspiring. Smile

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^^Yeah, that was a pretty precise deconstruction of the original post. Now that I think about it, on some level I thought the point was going to be about Health care Reform as the fix. Why? Cause of the mention of politics and party affiliations in what felt like a condescending manner, this coming from a moderate independent. Maybe not? But in retrospect, this all feels somehow burdened with the baggage of politics, merchantilism, and differing standards or aspirations for success.

In Canada the govt. has programs that offer grants to bands so they can make their music and promote it. I know that the Dears and Land of Talk took advantage of them.

http://www.canadacouncil.ca/grants/

they even have one for non-Canadian touring acts to tour up there:

http://www.canadacouncil.ca/grants/music/se127227196662968750.htm

oh well... Neutral

stumple13
Sea Post King

I think Eisley should keep things the way they are
and if they decide to filter information to us differently, i'm fine with it, as long as it isn't because some "fan" disagrees with how they do things
Living the life they do, isnt as glamorous as everyone makes it(unless your signed by disney)
but its still a life(and a beautiful one at that), that makes a whole lot of people happy.

Eisley reigns supreme!
Very Happy
piperjay23
Sea Post King

Not knowing the current organizational structure of the band....

Incorporate in the State of Texas. Make it a holding company for all things Eisley. Everything from intruments, strings, hotel rooms, meals, web fees, batteries for the camera, any cup of coffee where Eisley was discussed, etc would be tax deductible expenses to the corporation, not the individuals.

Write a charter with a board of control which would most likely consist of the owners (band members).

Then make everyone critically associated with the band (Boyd) an employee, including the playing members.

Compile the list of employees and apply for a group health plan. Not sure what rates are like in Texas, but a 25 year old female, single, no children for premier level coverage in Ohio is about $225 per month in most groups of 5-15 employees. That expense is federally tax deductable. At a 30% federal tax rate, the real cost at the end of the year is about $157 per month.

More than 15 employees and the rates go to a grid that becomes a flat rate per person determined by the overall health and welfare of the insured group as obtained from the insurance applications (i.e. diabetes, cancer, depression smoker y/n). That is why small-mid sized companies prefer to hire healthy young people with no kids...to keep the group rate down. That is also why it is illegal to ask any of those questions in a job interview.

I like "Trolley Wood Holdings, Inc."

I'm trying to be constructive here. My OP was what you'd call a "response Piece." Maybe it worked. I really don't care if you like me or not.

I am not licensed insurance agent (anymore). The above information was supplied for discussion purposes only. Consult a licensed insurance agent for accurate rates and legal parameters of group insurance.