Laughing City
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

So... Here's my "I was too old to even bother considering Hillary Duff music I might listen to if I had any self respect as a 29 year old man." perspective:

I always took Hillary Duff as a Mandy Moore redux, albeit a more successful one. And at the same time I think Hillary's success musically was built on the back of Michelle Branch breaking through, but maybe I'm wrong about that?

The music industry isn't kind to Women with dignity that don't undercut with heavy doses of libido enticement. It only seems to get worse across the board cause now it seems they trade-in the old lease after a few years to the new model, even with the mainstream pop female acts, with maybe 3 or 4 exceptions. There's a reason why Mya is on Dancing with the Stars and not touring her new album, and it's this: How many of you knew she had a album released last year?

The thing is, as far as music careers, I think Eisley has faired better in the long run because they're still at it. Last I checked Hillary is doing guest appearances on the WB right? As far as can be told, the album (2007's Dignity) did ok* though, but maybe I'm wrong if I think no one's chomping at the bit for her to release a new record?

I guess I'd have to troll on her board to find out. But I guess I just don't see her as relevant and in Eisley's case I do, because their potential is still sky and their execution is getting more and more precise, and though many folks are bemoaning the more "mainstream" sound, they still have the talent and ability and this is only 3 tracks** from the record. What album of theirs didn't have at least 3 tracks we'd hoped (or feared if you're that hip) would be hits in the mainstream?

I think it's premature to discount them on their creativity or potential successes. I'm looking at it like this. This is a quasi-warm-up tour, the EP is a pre-release single to gauge the marketplace. Come February things will be building towards the SXSW and that's when we'll really know what's up.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dignity_(album)

**I just realized that at this point we've all heard some version of 5 tracks from the album in "non-snippet" form. Shocked

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Last edited by wilsmith on Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

I don't think the EP is to gauge the marketplace. If it were, it's poor planning. The people that are going to buy the EP are Eisley die-hards. A market that they're already familiar with and have bought their first two CDs already.

And don't you ever degrade Mandy Moore again.
Ever.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^ That's what I meant, it "should" be a way to gauge the Marketplace as far as how invested and committed existing fans are to the band at this point after two years with no release and over a year since the last tour. So I don't disagree with you on that. It's just you took me to mean the overall marketplace, I just meant the Eisley Marketplace, maybe I should have said Fanbase?

Meanwhile. You got me confused with the other Wil... this one:

I did not degrade that woman. But he did.
Wink

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Kimbrtones
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
Go Away and Taking Control both had all the markings of mainstream hits, and nothing happened in that camp.

You can thank WB for this! Rolling Eyes
StuartBuck
Sea Post King

What's to stop those songs from becoming "singles" right now? I hear older songs on the radio all the time. "Best of the 80s, 90s, and today," is the catchphrase on stations that I typically listen to.

Would it help if we all called our local radio stations once a week or something to request an Eisley song?

princesstripandfall
Lost at Forum

wilsmith wrote:
Last I checked Hillary is doing guest appearances on the WB right?

Last I checked, The WB changed to The CW.... in 2006.

Laughing

To be fair, she was an actress first.

I'm not like, a resident in Camp Hilary...but, she's the only famous person who shares the spelling of my name and doesn't annoy the crap out of me, so, you know, gotta love 'er.

Oh, and...if we requested a song, which one would it be?
My vote's on The Valley.
But I don't listen to the radio.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

StuartBuck wrote:
What's to stop those songs from becoming "singles" right now? I hear older songs on the radio all the time. "Best of the 80s, 90s, and today," is the catchphrase on stations that I typically listen to.

Would it help if we all called our local radio stations once a week or something to request an Eisley song?

The songs they play on those "Best of the 80s, 90s, and today" stations were generally singles back when they were originally released. Those guys play old stuff, but old stuff that was popular.

My best guess is that if you tried calling your local ClearChannel (or whatever they're calling themselves now) or similar mainstream rock station to request Eisley, the DJ would tell you they don't have any Eisley songs. The stations can, as I understand it, only play whatever they've been sent from the labels--and I'm guessing that sending promo copies of Combinations to every major market is just another thing WB has neglected to do for Eisley.

But there's no harm trying. I'm sure if Laughing City members launched a campaign to call their local stations (and more importantly, call each other's local stations so it looks like there's a population of fans in each place rather than just one loon calling every week), we could get some Eisley on the air.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

there's nothing wrong with music sounding mainstream as long as it's still good.

production wise eisley maybe compared to other pop acts, but stylistically, they're too indie and experimental for that. also, if none of you guys noticed there's a good deal of experimental vocal work and music arrangement on ambulance and the valley.

i'm pretty sure the reason why they didn't tour with hilary duff is for one, they're not that pop or mainstream. indie pop is not the same as mainstream top 40 pop. also, by touring with her they'd put a disney little kids image on themselves that they would not be able to erase. yes, touring with big pop acts and big disney acts could get you famous fast, but it's singing a deal with the devil as everyone would forever think of you as the little disney pop artist sell out.

another thing, since day one everyone has been worried that eisley would sell out and become too mainstream or pop. why are we so worried about that? i'm pretty sure they know what they're doing and they've been doing it long it enough to know what to do and what not to. just chill and let the band do what they do, they're not stupid.

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^ I dig a whole lot of that argument right there Cool

princesstripandfall wrote:
wilsmith wrote:
Last I checked Hillary is doing guest appearances on the WB right?

Last I checked, The WB changed to The CW.... in 2006.

Laughing

Embarassed Bang, you got me Laughing (and I mean BIG laugh)...

It's cause we throw WB around so much on this board (usually under the bus) and then I was riffin' and mentioned the OC with was on the CW when it was the WB... and since I haven't watched that network since they stopped airing Joss Whedon shows, well there you go.

but that was a good one. Well done. Mr. Green

As far call-ins and requests, a college station call-in effort might fair better and get Eisley on the radar of CMJ and the Gavin report in those regions, which could translate in them trending in spins, and then bleed over into the mainstream rotation if it gets that far. Otherwise, a tastemaker/ on air personality at K-Rock in LO ( I forget their actual call letters) or an equally large station in another huge market is the easiest way to brake into the mainstream rotation.

Last edited by wilsmith on Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

Kimbrtones wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:
Go Away and Taking Control both had all the markings of mainstream hits, and nothing happened in that camp.

Yup, I think that's where most of the blame for Eisley's lack of "explosion" goes.

And Wil, The OC was on Fox, so you fail again. Razz

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

The Man In The Moon wrote:
another thing, since day one everyone has been worried that eisley would sell out and become too mainstream or pop.

We have? Confused I can tell you that I have never even entertained the notion. I don't really see that being discussed in this thread, the point of which thus far has been that Eisley haven't even had a chance to sell out yet.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

There's been instances of songs becoming big hits a year or so after it was actually released, and then a re-release was done. There's one in particular I'm thinking of, but I can't place the artist.

I don't think it could hurt any to do any of what's mentioned above, though. Might even be helpful, especially to set up for LP3, which might see the same fate as Combinations as far as promotion goes.

And I think someone asked earlier, but when exactly is their contract up?
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

JBaker wrote:
Kimbrtones wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:

Yup, I think that's where most of the blame for Eisley's lack of "explosion" goes.

And Wil, The OC was on Fox, so you fail again. Razz

^ It was??? Shocked Laughing

That's what I get for lumping it in with Dawson's Creek, Seventh Heaven, One Tree Hill, and Everwood etc.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

tahruh wrote:
There's been instances of songs becoming big hits a year or so after it was actually released, and then a re-release was done. There's one in particular I'm thinking of, but I can't place the artist.

I don't think it could hurt any to do any of what's mentioned above, though. Might even be helpful, especially to set up for LP3, which might see the same fate as Combinations as far as promotion goes.

And I think someone asked earlier, but when exactly is their contract up?

It happened with Who's Gonna Save Your Soul, Harder to Breath and Cable Car, Jewel, Maroon 5, and The Fray respectively.

tahruh
Vintage Newbie

The creator of The OC also created Gossip Girl, which is on the CW. They're basically the same show, different coasts, so you're not way off.