Laughing City

What do you play, Do you Record Your Music?
piano/ keys
20%
 20%  [ 5 ]
guitar
48%
 48%  [ 12 ]
bass
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
drums
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
woodwind
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
brass
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
strings
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
I have recorded my music
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
I perform my music publicly
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 25

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

So, vote for your instrument, if and how you record, and leave a little info and/ or a how to on your set up (software, hardware, equipment).

Obviously, if you are voting, you're a musicians.

My info about recording:

I was all analog using a tascam porta2. Tapes are harder to come by these days, but for learning how to multitrack and record solo it's a great foundation.

When i went digital I used freeware, and I favor Kristal for multitracking live with a band and effects and Garageband for just using the mic on my computer and getting solo acoustic takes.

Wait, how come I can't vote more than once Confused

the fix: I got none. just go with your primary I guess? My bad, that's what I get for trying to be lazy and all encompassing.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9638 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Last edited by wilsmith on Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nightmare
Vintage Newbie

I played bass for a while and switched to guitar. I haven't really recorded my music...though I did borrow a karaoke machine to lay down a couple tracks for some songs I put on a tape for a girlfriend a while ago.
Joined: 28 Apr 2005 | Posts: 3505 | Location: In your dreams
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

i play guitar and therefore also bass.

i can play piano too. but minimal.

i suck at drums.

i want to learn to play mandolin

and I do record my music when I can.

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Primary Instrument (that I study classically at Uni): Percussion- orchestral (snare drum, timpani, bells/xylo, etc), Marimba/Vibes, Drumset, hand drumming

Secondary instruments: Voice, piano, guitar

When I do home recording, I use an extremely under-utilized Presonus Firepod (8 digital preamps, I normally only use 2) into Audacity via Firewire. When I do live recordings for concerts, I use a couple of large diaphragm condensers into a badass two channel preamp (the brand escapes me at the moment), which is fed directly into a Tascam CD-R recording unit.

I perform live all the time as a percussionist in orchestras, jazz groups, percussion ensembles, chamber groups, and solo literature.

I don't play pop music as much live, but somebody uploaded a cell-phone video of me playing at a recent Battle of the Bands competition. I'm not sure if you can view this if you aren't on facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1356282834910&ref=mf

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

i play guitar, piano, cello, bass, glockenspiel, and synth

i perform whenever and wherever i can

record most of my music on garageband or my friend's closet

i'd love to learn how to play drums and/or get a drum machine and experiment with it.

also, need more pedals. a lot of musicians are poor partially because good pedals cost a ton of money =P

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
Lynn
Golly, Poster

A little guitar, a little piano, a little singing. I don't record yet. At least not anything fit for listening. On my computer mic (my acoustic guitar sounds horrible through it.. And my piano is not in the same room, so I record it on my phone, which sounds even more horrible) I just record... ideas. Drafts of songs maybe.
Very few, because I cannot find time for this at all. I need to be alone at home and I cannot even find the time to practice (the instrument, I'm not even thinking about practicing with actual songs), what's left for recording..
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Why is this thread male exclusive? I was gonna post something about crashing this sausagefest, but Lynn beat me to it.

I primarily play electric and acoustic guitar, and I record using GarageBand and a Line6 TonePort UXII interface. Only got an SM-57 right now. But between all that I can track some very decent demos.

It is very, very rare that I play out, and I actually bailed on the last show I had lined up because I wasn't remotely ready and I was in a terrible headspace. But lately I've fallen in love with music again and want nothing more than to book another mini-tour and play anywhere and everywhere I can.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
freakinalex
Lost at Forum

I can play drums, but I'm not great at it. To be honest, most of what I've played on drums in the last few years is on Rock Band/Guitar Hero, and I'm probably better at that than actual drums just cause I have a visual representation of what I'm playing.

The only drum kit I actually own is an ION electronic kit that works with the game, but the only brain I have is the one that plugs into the Xbox, so other than Rock Band's freestyle mode, I can't use it for actual drumming until I buy an actual drum brain. And as a poor college student who doesn't have a practical use for an actual drum kit at the moment, I probably won't get one anytime soon.

I also used to play the alto sax, but it's been so long that I'd probably have to practice it for a while to be good at it again. I was first chair for a while in middle school though, if that counts for anything.

As for recording stuff, I've used GarageBand a lot in my audio classes, and we use Adobe Audition to record voice/edit stuff for the school radio station, so I'm pretty familiar with how those work.

The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

I play piano, guitar, accordian, glock, marxophone and harmonica. I'm gonna start getting other instruments soon, like a ukelele, and figure them out. I've really been wanting a kazoo at the moment. I can sing, how well, I'm not sure. I can play drums, but not very well.

My sister loves hearing me sing. One thing that's kind of weird is that I sound better live than I do on recorded (atleast, with the equipment I have at the moment.)

I'm starting a course this next semester at my community college for Audio Engineer and I can use their studio as much as I like. I'm taking full advantage of that and am gonna have friends and family come record with me. Pretty stoked.

One of the best things about it is that I'll get to produce my own stuff and not have to find someone to. The course is crazy cheap, it's quite a steal. It's said that you can record an entire album by the time you're done with the course, so I figured that alone would be worth taking it.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
Why is this thread male exclusive? I was gonna post something about crashing this sausagefest, but Lynn beat me to it.

It took your post... and then coming back to catch my typo... talk about dropping the ball... MY Bad Embarassed

Oh and guess I should offer up my list of sins:

Guitar, Bass, Drums, Singing.

Use Alesis Firewire Mixers for digital into Audacity or Kristal on PC, and Garageband or Audacity on the Mac side. I use all kind of inexpensive mics, but get the best sound from two low cost Condensers, a wide diaphram MXL (phantom power via an ART tube preamp for warmth) and a Nady condenser sans phantom power (battery power) through the preamp.

I've recorded using everything from answering machines (of the tape variety that require pitch control to playback on a regular speed tape recorder) old school tape recorders with their included condenser mics (great full room sound on those suckers), and used everything from headphones to those little walkman speakers as mics over the years.

I used to do a lot more playing out, solo, and with the band, and am working back to it. When I buy a house I'll be building a DIY studio and teaching myself keys in the downtime, as well as recording for a friends jazz project and an attempt at doing delta blues type Gospel record as Fat Possum record might do it.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9638 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Cendrillon
Golly, Poster

Hahaha, I was wondering why you were being gender specific.

Um, I played percussion in school for...6 ish years, I decided not to do band this year, but when I'm in college if there's a low key ensemble I can join, maybe I'll get back into it.

I've been taking guitar lessons for a few years, I don't feel like I'm very good, I'm not very confident and don't practice as much as I should. My teacher thinks I'm very good for some reason, and I dunno if all of his other students are just terrible, or he's impressed with my music reading ability and sight reading, or maybe I'm better than I think...

cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

I both record and perform with piano, guitar, and my vocal chords.
guitargirl
Laughing Citizen

I play the violin and still take lessons. I started (in orchestra)when I was around 12 and started taking lessons regularly when I was 16 or 17. I'm now 21 and I hope that I keep playing my entire life. I'm working on Lalo's Symphonie Espagnole and two Bach Sonatas, No. 3 in C IV. Allegro assai and No. 2 in A minor IV. Allegro.
I have a nice violin that my parents bought me when I was a senior in high school. My bow is pretty special because the wrapping is whale bone, a material that isn't used anymore in new bows.
I took guitar and bass lessons for a few years but I haven't played either since. Finger picking was my strength when I was playing.
I don't record but I probably should to pinpoint my weaknesses. Cool

j'ai pas envie d'être un robot, métro boulot dodo
-Kelli
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
uncreative
Vintage Newbie

I was a kick-ass clarinetist (is that an oxymoron?) from 5th-12th grade. Unfortunately, I no longer own a clarinet and haven't played since I graduated... almost 5 years ago. I miss my high school band days, actually.
johnip
Vintage Newbie

uncreative wrote:
I was a kick-ass clarinetist (is that an oxymoron?)

Course not! I played clarinet and bass clarinet till 10th grade when all my friends quit band. That was almost 9 years ago. Shocked It was fun, and I was decent - never practiced outside of school, but I could play all the songs fine. Razz I was always first chair too with the bass haha.

I've got a drum kit and more guitars in the house than I can count (most are my dad's), but I don't really play either anymore. Confused We had an out of tune piano up until a few years ago that I used to poke around on playing theme songs and stuff by ear. It sucks, but I don't really have time to play an instrument these days. School, work, photography, and internet forums wasting all my time. Wink

Oh... Does whistling count as being a musician? Cuz I do that all hours of the day haha. I'm pretty dang good at whistling...