Laughing City
John Locke4815
Sea Post King

to hit the high notes during Invasion at the Pure Volume gig, particularly during the beginning. (I am comparing this to the studio version)... Is this because she's a bit rusty, or were those high notes that were pitch perfect on Combination's a result of auto tune? She's a fine vocalist, so please don't take this as a criticism. I mean Elton John struggled to hit the high notes live back in his heyday.
Joined: 18 Mar 2010 | Posts: 140 | Location: the dub side of the moon
juan_diego
Sea Post King

It varies from show to show. Sometimes she can hit the high notes no problem, sometimes she can't. SXSW was a week long thing so I'm sure her voice was tired. There have been times where she has lost her voice and not been able to sing at all, at which point Stacy had to take over.
John Locke4815
Sea Post King

Stacy sounds pitch perfect throughout.
princesstripandfall
Lost at Forum

I've noticed this on many songs for years, but if I mention it...because the way she uses her voice worries me... people are like, "you jerk, sherri is a perfect singing human!" (dramatization) Wink
John Locke4815
Sea Post King

who is your avatar? Regina Spektor?
princesstripandfall
Lost at Forum

yep
princesstripandfall
Lost at Forum

oops sorry double post!
Last edited by princesstripandfall on Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:50 am; edited 1 time in total
happyface
Sea Post King

I have the guts!
Stacy vs. Sherri (vs. Chauntelle)
Joined: 23 Aug 2009 | Posts: 251 | Location: The Gold City, Puerto Rico
John Locke4815
Sea Post King

Perhaps they could re arrange the harmonies a bit, so Sherri does not have to strain her voice to hit notes that are almost out of her range. She's fantastic in her range, but stacy can get higher...

Bono wrecked his voice in the mid 90s trying to hit notes he could no longer reach (that and cigarettes). If you listen to POP, his voice is sometimes reduced to a whisper. It took years for Bono to recover his voice.

Also her guitar seems a bit out of tune, so that must have been distracting.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

John Locke4815 wrote:
Bono wrecked his voice in the mid 90s trying to hit notes he could no longer reach (that and cigarettes). If you listen to POP, his voice is sometimes reduced to a whisper. It took years for Bono to recover his voice.

Chain-smoking plus too much red wine will do that to you. Leonard Cohen's voice dropped a register for the same reason, but just between the Live in London DVD and the show I saw last November, he's really bouncing back. I would argue that a) Bono has never recovered his voice, only learned how to work within his limitations, and b) the worn out vocals of Pop gave the album most of its emotional power.

Sherri doesn't smoke or drink, but I've noticed she does put everything she's got into her singing. That's really effective for live performances, but not necessarily great for her endurance. I get worried when she loses her voice while they're on tour--I don't think she paces herself.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
happyface
Sea Post King

God bless Tree Tops
Joined: 23 Aug 2009 | Posts: 251 | Location: The Gold City, Puerto Rico
John Locke4815
Sea Post King

Saellys wrote:
John Locke4815 wrote:

Chain-smoking plus too much red wine will do that to you. Leonard Cohen's voice dropped a register for the same reason, but just between the Live in London DVD and the show I saw last November, he's really bouncing back. I would argue that a) Bono has never recovered his voice, only learned how to work within his limitations, and b) the worn out vocals of Pop gave the album most of its emotional power.

Sherri doesn't smoke or drink, but I've noticed she does put everything she's got into her singing. That's really effective for live performances, but not necessarily great for her endurance. I get worried when she loses her voice while they're on tour--I don't think she paces herself.

I think Bono's voice recovered, but were never the same as they were doing Zooropa when he could go to the stratosphere.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

John Locke4815 wrote:
Saellys wrote:
John Locke4815 wrote:

I think Bono's voice recovered, but were never the same as they were doing Zooropa when he could go to the stratosphere.

Those were the days.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Christophjam
Sea Post King

Stacy's voice did sound good, but I noticed that she kept touching her in-ear, which suggests their monitors were wonky. She stopped playing her keys at the end of the Valley

I also noticed that on the youtube version of Sad, that Sherri stopped playing guitar midway through the song.
sukieinthe_g
Golly, Poster

Christophjam wrote:
Stacy's voice did sound good, but I noticed that she kept touching her in-ear, which suggests their monitors were wonky.

Eh, she always does that.