Laughing City
Kit
Sea Post King

princesstripandfall wrote:
Kit wrote:
JBaker wrote:
To be honest, I lost interest in Eisley because it took them so long to put out Combinations.

So long? Two and a half years is practically "rushing it" nowdays. Back in the 60s and 70s, yeah it wasn't unheard of for a band to release a new album every year. But today, a lot of bands wait as long as 4 years or longer to release new material. Eisley's little 2 1/2 year wait was nothing.

very few albums fall into the category of "long wait" after one has survived the delay of Extraordinary Machine.

Yeah Fiona Apple definitely drags her feet between records. Extraordinary Machine was worth it for me though. That's a top 10 record of the last decade for me.
princesstripandfall
Lost at Forum

Kit wrote:
Kit wrote:
JBaker wrote:
To be honest, I lost interest in Eisley because it took them so long to put out Combinations.

So long? Two and a half years is practically "rushing it" nowdays. Back in the 60s and 70s, yeah it wasn't unheard of for a band to release a new album every year. But today, a lot of bands wait as long as 4 years or longer to release new material. Eisley's little 2 1/2 year wait was nothing.

very few albums fall into the category of "long wait" after one has survived the delay of Extraordinary Machine.

Yeah Fiona Apple definitely drags her feet between records. Extraordinary Machine was worth it for me though. That's a top 10 record of the last decade for me.

It's in my top 5, easy.
I do really love the original Brion version though,
so my "favorite" is a hybrid mix of both.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^ Free Fiona!!! Surprised

I agree with both of you, and I still hadn't heard the Brion Mixes till I got the Hook Up on the LC last year or so. I believe it was either the Poster from the state directly south of mine, or directly north. Both have good taste, and one had a link to the goods. I see why people prefer the more Organic Brion versions, but I lived with the Elizondo mixes first, so there you go. When this record came up earlier, I ended up reading some good interviews, and she's open to finishing the Brion versions... someday.

And how many years was that, from 99' to like 05' or something??? I think it's been trumped by Dr. Dre's Detox (01-???), Sade's in genera(92'-Y2K) (02'-10'), and G N R's Chinese Democracy (94'-07) it was in production that entire time!!! Shocked who am I kidding, I don't care about Dr. Dre or Gun's and Roses. Sometimes being a devil's advocate ain't worth the taint it leaves on your brain

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Kit
Sea Post King

I actually think there are a few spots where Elizondo's mixes worked better; the best example being "Get Him Back". But yeah, I prefer Brion's "O' Sailor". Also, I liked "Tymps" better when it was called "Used to Love Him" and had Brion's production.
Nightmare
Vintage Newbie

I agree with JBaker honestly. I lost interest because of the wait as well.
Joined: 28 Apr 2005 | Posts: 3505 | Location: In your dreams
princesstripandfall
Lost at Forum

I wouldn't say I've *lost* interest,
but if we get another ten-track album, and
"Smarter," "The Valley," "Ambulance" and "Be Kind"
are four of them, I might cry.
Laughing
I love those songs, I do, but at this point I'd say
that "The Valley" and "Ambulance" should be dropped from the album to make room for other songs, or I will overplay them and their magic will be lost.

That's just me though.
sukieinthe_g
Golly, Poster

Laughing
that "The Valley" and "Ambulance" should be dropped from the album to make room for other songs, or I will overplay them and their magic will be lost.

That's just me though.

Ah geez, I didn't even think of that. Now I'm depressed about this new album. Sad

The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

sukieinthe_g wrote:
Laughing

That's just me though.

Ah geez, I didn't even think of that. Now I'm depressed about this new album. Sad

look on the bright side, the recordings of those songs we have aren't the final cuts, just the production tracks

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Puh Lease Confused Rolling Eyes

For all the Room Noises lovers we have in this crew, and 4 of those songs were on the 3rd and 4th EPs we know as Laughing City and Marvelous Things, and I had those for Nearly Two years before Room Noises came out.

Truth be told, don't cut those songs, just make the record longer. Combos was roughly 38 minutes long, My personal taste has found that 45-50 minutes is the album length sweet spot. That's enough room to produce an album long enough to include those 4 plus an album's worth of unheard material. And bear in mind that a disk can hold 79 solid minutes of music... No need to cut, just extend in length Tori Amos style.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

that's not a bad idea. they should add some of their 40+ demos that are solid that aren't already re-recorded for the album

princesstripandfall
Lost at Forum

wilsmith wrote:
Puh Lease Confused Rolling Eyes

For all the Room Noises lovers we have in this crew, and 4 of those songs were on the 3rd and 4th EPs we know as Laughing City and Marvelous Things, and I had those for Nearly Two years before Room Noises came out.

Truth be told, don't cut those songs, just make the record longer. Combos was roughly 38 minutes long, My personal taste has found that 45-50 minutes is the album length sweet spot. That's enough room to produce an album long enough to include those 4 plus an album's worth of unheard material. And bear in mind that a disk can hold 79 solid minutes of music... No need to cut, just extend in length Tori Amos style.

There's no need for eyerolling,
did you see my Laughing ?

I just meant, if it came down to Ambulance and The Valley vs. newer material, I'd take the newer. Wow.
oliez
Vintage Newbie

I've been thinking about this for a while...

The Fire Kites EP has been out for over 1/2 a year now...and as "up on the curve" Eisley wants to be on releasing new material...Ambulance and The Valley (as great as both songs are) have been out for too long to include on a full length album in the current "music scene". To include them on a physical album just because they're done doesn't do anything for music critics/fans/overall music enthusiasts (especially those who have kept up with the band).

I agree that the inclusion of the EP songs on Room Noises didn't help the overall sound of the album and I would think the band would agree given their current and past hesitation to play most of the EP songs (Telescope Eyes and Marvelous Things) during tour dates. The new mixes were interesting, but it didn't add to anything to what we/the audience wanted/needed to hear from the then "new Eisley". I promise I will quickly skip over the two already "mixed" released songs if they're released on the new album, wanting to listen and embed myself in the new ones.

As much as I've loved and embraced this band, I think it's time thing are thought of/done differently...Let it be known that, for me, Ambulance is my favorite Eisley song. Stacy's voice and lyrics have become something I never expected them to become (as well as Sherri's, although she wasn't as showcased in the EP as much Stacy was). The overall organization of the band has grown farther than I thought was possible for the family. To include Ambulance and The Valley in the next full length release without doing a complete overhaul of the songs (which would be unneeded) would be, as I see, a mistake.

--

That said, I hope the band doesn't make any decision on what they read here and I will always stand behind anything this band does. I believe in their dedication and desire of "real music" and I do hope they release an album this year. If they don't, the songs they've already recorded for the next record could quickly lose their place in their current lives and quickly could be forgotten.

Right now is an interesting time for Eisley.

As far as I'm concerned, Eisley NEEDS to release an album this year (be it digital or physical). Combinations was received very well by critics, magazines and in smaller radio demographics (I heard Invasion many times in Kansas City). As "sweet" as some of the personal stories might be, since then, as far as the industry is concerned, they've dropped off the radar completely. Radio doesn't care that they've gone and got divorced, remarried, married, engaged...They don't care that they've been "taking a break"...They might not even remember.

EISLEY is still a name that most people in the music industry know. I hope the band acts on it before it's too late and they're just known for the minor "hits" they've had or even worse, for the people they've married...

--

My friends (who have only learned of the band post '07, through the band's marriages/relationships) and I have had some interesting conversations on the future of this band...they have potential beyond any other band I've followed. I hope they take advantage of (from what I've seen) an industry who wants to hear more MUSIC from the band Eisley...and hopefully without the influence of "a major".
Last edited by oliez on Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

i predict that we will know the status of the album on wednesday when the tour info gets released. just my thought, but i could be wrong. i think this album needs to be released on itunes, as well as with a thousand or two physical copies in sleeves for their upcoming tour to cornerstone. that way they can make money as well as continue on with their home studio they've been talking about. it may also well be time for them to start from scratch again and record a new lo-fi album in their house. i think signing to an indie label could be their best bet at the moment. right now with the state of eisley i think they're so close to making it and yet if they make a wrong step, it could be the end of industry success.

either way, i think the album needs to be released this year so they can start recording new material that's relevant to their current lives.

The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

also i'd like for them to record more song per album in the future and not just songs that they feel are necessary to reach out for a broad audience, but the songs they like. i think a few good tracks were lost during combinations due to this concern (the mainframe, lady get away, before, aristicats, ect.), but boyd has said that pleasing the industry is also not the main priority now

oliez
Vintage Newbie

The Man In The Moon wrote:

either way, i think the album needs to be released this year so they can start recording new material that's relevant to their current lives.

I do not agree with this at all...

I think they need to find themselves in their current place before releasing any new album. They recorded a lot (before the break with WB became public)...I think releasing an album just to "get these songs done with" is the wrong answer.

I hope they think about the new songs and stories before they're released. This is a great checkpoint for the band to be at...see if the songs they have are worth releasing and having out there forever. They're current public/personal/professional lives are still relevant to the story of the next record.

The Man In The Moon wrote:
also i'd like for them to record more song per album

I hope they record more song for b-sides...not for the full length. I think the track numbers for their albums have been perfect although most songs seem to be the same length.

Here's to having a base for Eisley to release b-sides along with their future hit singles....which will be released on 45rpm vinyl....(right?)