Laughing City
Dan and Sam
Golly, Poster

Hey all... There's another Room Noises vinyl LP listed on eBay at a little over $4.00

Go get it!!! Very Happy Good luck Wink

Last edited by Dan and Sam on Sun May 02, 2010 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
marshkingsdaughter
Golly, Poster

It's so worth it, people. The sound is remarkable, and the cover looks so cool all blown up and up close. I paid like $50 for mine and I think it was worth the price.

http://inconnumag.com
Congratulations
Sea Post King

Thanks for the heads up. I'm watching it, and we'll see what happens.
Joined: 31 Dec 2007 | Posts: 335 | Location: Northern Virginia
golly_sandra
Vintage Newbie

^ Ditto. Confused
I've been hopeful the last few times one appeared on eBay.

inorbit
Laughing Citizen

One of these days one of you kids will have to explain to me the perceived advantage of distributing digitally recorded music on analogue media.
marshkingsdaughter
Golly, Poster

inorbit wrote:
One of these days one of you kids will have to explain to me the perceived advantage of distributing digitally recorded music on analogue media.

It just sounds better.

http://inconnumag.com
Unregistered
Laughing Citizen

marshkingsdaughter wrote:
inorbit wrote:

It just sounds better.

At my house it sounded better to me too because my parents have these grand old speakers that sound full and together hooked up to my grandmother's turn table. And also because the bigger cover is amazing to look at Smile ; it makes it sound better. Smile And there isn't a pause button on her turn table. That changes the atmosphere and makes the album sound better! Smile

Nightmare
Vintage Newbie

I'm not going to lie I don't understand either.
Joined: 28 Apr 2005 | Posts: 3505 | Location: In your dreams
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Well, for those wondering, skip the audio fidelity discussion of Vinyl vs. Digital media and consider this:

Vintage Speakers that are paired with record players are usually better compared to modern ones with similar db ratings. Especially since most modern systems have shelf tweeters and a sub, or tweeters with a small sub packed in them, instead of large full range cones, 10-12" usually, and a good tweeter. And given it's 2010, even those 3 ways speakers that were all the rage in the late 80s and early 90s are better than the Digital sets as far as having a warm acoustic range (vs. digital clarity and accuracy).

And, there's this: People really into vinyl are cheap and used handed down heirlooms, get stuff from the pawn shop, or are audiophiles. In the case of the cheapos, they get the benefit of vintage product being superior to modern product, in the cases of the latter, they are willing to spend the money to get better modern audio set ups, and heavy gram vinyl with deeper grooves.

There there's the whole psychological aspect of perception, and the very really aspect of ambiance that comes for the needle picking up the dust and friction and adding that to the sound.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
lessthaninfinite
Sea Post King

wilsmith wrote:
There there's the whole psychological aspect of perception, and the very really aspect of ambiance that comes for the needle picking up the dust and friction and adding that to the sound.

This is what it is for me, though I wouldn't exactly consider myself a vinyl aficionado. Along with the pops and the crackles, I personally just think the process of putting on a record and placing the needle and all that is more fun than clicking a play button on the computer. It just feels more interactive and more rewarding somehow, I can't really explain it.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^well for one, the way sound is captured on a record and relayed through a phonographic system makes more sense. It's a matter of friction, vibrations, magnetism, and more vibrations.

it's a process you an observe and feel, even interact with directly. Digital is 1s and 0s, lasers, reflections, spinning, and what not, a lot less tangible. but everything is energy, everything's a vibration/ frequency. It's a nebulous area theoretically, and yet, our thoughts are just bursts of energy. Then again they are capture via corporeal media just like records.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

inorbit wrote:

It just sounds better.

At best it sounds exactly the same. An album that was recorded digitally, then pressed to vinyl, will have the same quality through a top of the line needle-and-speaker combo as a CD copy through a top of the line stereo. Same source, no loss of quality, same sound.

Obviously you like it better, and I can get behind that--almost all my vinyl is a duplicate of albums I own on CD. I like big album art and I like to have to flip LPs over. I like the way the speakers on my vintage turntable crackle when I start it up. It makes the music a special, more involving event. But it doesn't mean it sounds better.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Better - as in preferable, or more pleasing, to that person?

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
Better - as in preferable, or more pleasing, to that person?

I mentioned the distinction (liking it better), but that gets us into statements of fact ("It just sounds better") versus statements of opinion ("I just like it better").

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

It just sounds better [to me].

There, fixed. Laughing