Laughing City
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

If WB wants 25, they should just re-record regardless.
Say the LP sells 50,000 at $10 a pop. That's 500k revenue. Since this is a hypothetical, let's not worry about how much of that is profit. 25% of that 500k is 125k. Likely more than 5 times more than re-recording the album should cost

The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

JBaker wrote:
Say the LP sells 50,000 at $10 a pop. That's 500k revenue. Since this is a hypothetical, let's not worry about how much of that is profit. 25% of that 500k is 125k. Likely more than 5 times more than re-recording the album should cost

Oh, I agree. It just sucks that WB is, once again, holding them back from releasing their album and they aren't even on the label anymore. In the long run, I think it would be better for Eisley and the new label to just re-record it to get out of the crumby mess they're in. Watch, they will go re-record it and WB will still release it without telling them. And yes, from the way Chauntelle made it sound, it sounded like percentage. Also, Chauntelle told us if they have to re-record it, they might go ahead and leak the songs so we can still have them... gutsy, but you gotta do what you gotta do. They'd kind of being screwing over WB/giving them the metaphorical finger.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
pzy
Wookie Luke

The_Paronomasial_Mattoid wrote:
WB wants 40%

The only good thing WB ever did was introduce me to Eisley's music. I'm glad I didn't stick around in LA to work for them, they've somehow gone even further down the crapper than where they were a few years ago.

GOOD RIDDANCE

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

How does re-recording get them out from under the 40%? I guess I don't understand the business enough. I guess the question is where does the obligation start and where does it stop? If they re-record the same tracks, does that make it a new product? Or could WB still say no, we own 40% of that track, which was originally recorded while under contract with us, regardless of how it is repackaged or redone? Any lawyers on the board? Or Boyd (close enough Laughing )... Oh, and how does WB go back on an agreement (changing it from 25% to 40%)? If there was an agreement, then how is that agreement broken without a new agreement? Did they get the 25% in writing? Ugh, I don't know why I even care. I just wish the roadblocks could be removed.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^ Okay, the quick and dirty explanation:

Warner Owns a percentage of Those specific recordings. In some cases the label owns any material, or the rights to release any material recorded while a band is under contract to them.

So, new recordings of songs Eisley wrote and owns the copyrights to don't belong to warner at all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
more detail:

There are Mechanical Rights, Publishing Rights, Performance Rights, and Copyrights.

Mechanical Rights is related to physical rights to print cds/ records, that sort of thing

Publishing has to do with sheet music, lyrics being reprinted etc.

Performance Rights has to do with Live performance for profit, Licensing or music, radio airplay etc

Copyrights has to do with ownership of the Intellectual material, the creation itself, where royalties will go related to all use and profit from said song over the life of it's owners vs. 70 years I think.

I read up on this many years ago via a book written by lawyers called The Musician's Guide to Understanding the Music Business

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
^ Okay, the quick and dirty explanation:

Warner Owns a percentage of Those specific recordings. In some cases the label owns any material, or the rights to release any material recorded while a band is under contract to them.

So, new recordings of songs Eisley wrote and owns the copyrights to don't belong to warner at all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
more detail:

There are Mechanical Rights, Publishing Rights, Performance Rights, and Copyrights.

Mechanical Rights is related to physical rights to print cds/ records, that sort of thing

Publishing has to do with sheet music, lyrics being reprinted etc.

Performance Rights has to do with Live performance for profit, Licensing or music, radio airplay etc

Copyrights has to do with ownership of the Intellectual material, the creation itself, where royalties will go related to all use and profit from said song over the life of it's owners vs. 70 years I think.

I read up on this many years ago via a book written by lawyers called The Musician's Guide to Understanding the Music Business

Thanks!

JBaker wrote:

If they sell 20,000 at $8 a pop, then your math changes quite a bit. They'll be self promoting for the most part, it sounds like. Not much different from how it went with Cominations, which got very little label support. But did they even sell 50,000 of Combinations? I never heard. Has Room Noises hit 100,000 copies yet? Probably not, and that one had a slight push by WB.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Well, it won't technically fix the problem, but the old school solution to this situation is the "Greatest hits" album, or the live album. Toss out a quickie compilation that fans will dig, at minimum cost, use it to buy time for rerecording the third album. Dunno if WB has insulated themselves from that, though.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Depending on the circumstances:

WB would have to release that Greatest Hits ("Best Of" is a more likely title, to cover including album tracks and B-Sides) record since they own those tracks, unless Eisley Re-Recorded them as well.

A live release is MUCH easier, because they can use recordings done PRE and POST WB contract or any song they like (including the NEW ONES Wink )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Or they could just write 4 new songs (or polish off 4 incomplete demos with promise) and release an EP unrelated to LP3, which gives everybody a breath of fresh air, and gives them a little verve before they go in to recapture the magic of LP3 on "tape"

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Also, Chauntelle told us if they have to re-record it, they might go ahead and leak the songs so we can still have them... gutsy, but you gotta do what you gotta do. They'd kind of being screwing over WB/giving them the metaphorical finger.

That's the best thing I've ever heard. Very Happy

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Christophjam
Sea Post King

marshkingsdaughter wrote:
princesstripandfall wrote:
JBaker wrote:
So what if WB won't let them use the recordings?

Get back in the studio and record the album in 3 days.
All the songs are written.
It's not as complicated as it's made out to be.

most of my favorite recent albums were recorded in like...2 weeks. Makes them more genuine, I think, not to go back and fix/tweak/change your mind.

I don't know how long it took her, but I know that Jenny Lewis's album Acid Tongue was recorded all in one take. It's one of my favorites of all time.

I can kind of see both points. I prefer the sound of Eisley live, but recording like that has such a specific sound that would limit the dreamy sound that they try to achieve on record.
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

WB- what complete niggling scheisters.
Especially since its all pretty much pocket change to them.

Business is business though, and if Eisley aren't on a Warner label, they are the competition, and we all know you never give the competition a break.

I hope they do just give them the finger and re-record anyway. Most of my favorite albums were recorded quickly and cheaply- it results in a liveliness that more than compensates for any technical flaws (assuming the band can execute, and can they ever). Neurotically recorded albums always sound dead. They can get out of the corporate music recording mentality and with a tour under the songs get something better down faster cheaper, and much, much better than what they've got, I'm sure of it.

I have trouble connecting with those who prefer their past studio work over live recordings though. I've been saying for years that their best "album" by far is the selection of live recordings from Ventura on the combinations bonus dvd. That dreamy soundscapey vibe originates with the live show, and they do a surpassing job of it live. Its the (major label) studio production that has never been able to capture the vibe with any fidelity that has cost them some success to date, imo.

Especially funny for those of us who can remember how people used to fight over live bootlegs (especially quality recordings from the board) before you could download live recordings so easily on MP3 and Youtube. A good bootleg would go for more than an album, usually.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
there was never anything here worth reading, just a fun game of hangman to pass the time while we wait

Note both of you, be sure to clean off the chalkboard when you're done playing hangman. If the Principal ever came by the room you'd get the teacher in trouble.

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

inorbit wrote:
Especially funny for those of us who can remember how people used to fight over live bootlegs (especially quality recordings from the board) before you could download live recordings so easily on MP3 and Youtube. A good bootleg would go for more than an album, usually.

There's still a record store here in town that tries to do that. I once saw a Coldplay live show that I had just downloaded for free on their racks for $25, crappy looking inkjet liner notes and all. The dude at the counter was like, "Yeah... imports cost more." And I was like, "Yeah, you imported this... from KaZaA." Rolling Eyes

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

wilsmith wrote:
Saellys wrote:
there was never anything here worth reading, just a fun game of hangman to pass the time while we wait

Note both of you, be sure to clean off the chalkboard when you're done playing hangman. If the Principal ever came by the room you'd get the teacher in trouble.

you clever thing you... I was just about to post to tell you it'll be hard for them to clean the board if nimrods keep reposting it.

But you're way ahead of me.

Saellys wrote:

There's still a record store here in town that tries to do that. I once saw a Coldplay live show that I had just downloaded for free on their racks for $25, crappy looking inkjet liner notes and all. The dude at the counter was like, "Yeah... imports cost more." And I was like, "Yeah, you imported this... from KaZaA." Rolling Eyes

That's hilarious; and I bet there are enough older guys around who missed the plot that they sell a few every now and then, too.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

inorbit wrote:
Saellys wrote:

That's hilarious; and I bet there are enough older guys around who missed the plot that they sell a few every now and then, too.

Laughing yeah, we need a "True stories of the Laughing City: Comedy Edition" thread or something.