Laughing City
Kylee Janai
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
well, the thintg is, she has her own part she plays at the same as far as the solo riff. Now, for the rhythm part she's playing along with him as far as the chords.

Now, they could ditch the keys and Stacy could rock out on guitar, or Sherri could do that part now that they've had time to rehearse etc? Or not.

haha yeah, i listened to the song and i was like wait.. unless she was an octopus she couldn't play two different parts. das when i realized i was thinking about 'taking control' because didn't chad write that part that chauntelle obbvvviously plays now? i thinkss so.

anyhoo... i really really really hope they play it this tour, i love that song so! ha maybe collin can learn that part ..err something!
oliez
Vintage Newbie

I can't get over how glad I am that the Rhodes is back in full force. Stacy's keys in Kind blows me away. I'm glad they found a way to use the Rhodes in their sound evolution. That(those) tour(s) without the Rhodes was(were) heartbreaking...I forget how many it wasn't there. I saw them at least once without the Rhodes there and a couple where it was second fiddle to the generic keyboard that couldn't hold a candle to the red beast.
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

oliez wrote:
I can't get over how glad I am that the Rhodes is back in full force. Stacy's keys in Kind blows me away. I'm glad they found a way to use the Rhodes in their sound evolution. That(those) tour(s) without the Rhodes was(were) heartbreaking...I forget how many it wasn't there. I saw them at least once without the Rhodes there and a couple where it was second fiddle to the generic keyboard that couldn't hold a candle to the red beast.

^^^^^ wholeheartedly agree.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Kylee Janai wrote:
ha maybe collin can learn that part ..err something!

Can't lie, I was thinking that too, but then, he's got the age restrictions to deal with, and honestly, isn't he further down the seniority list of guitar players that could play on that one behind Todd & Christie??? If they were available that is.

But yeah, they've got a quiver of Axe wielders they could call in, and I guess, Christie could play the keys on any of there songs if she was taught right??? If so, Stacy could then play more guitar???

Totally speculating in a semi-ridiculous/ slightly serious way Laughing

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Kylee Janai
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
Kylee Janai wrote:

Can't lie, I was thinking that too, but then, he's got the age restrictions to deal with, and honestly, isn't he further down the seniority list of guitar players that could play on that one behind Todd & Christie??? If they were available that is.

But yeah, they've got a quiver of Axe wielders they could call in, and I guess, Christie could play the keys on any of there songs if she was taught right??? If so, Stacy could then play more guitar???

Yeah, but I'm desperate! Laughing I was thinking Todd, but what's he doing now a days at the show? I wonder if he could pick up that part. I know a lot of bands use guitar techs or someone similar.
juan_diego
Sea Post King

I'm sorry, I probably missed something somewhere in the depths of Trolley Wood and will probably get bashed for even asking, but.....

...Why can't Sherri just learn and play either Chauntelle's or Max's guitar part for Smarter? Do we doubt her guitar abillities? Confused

marshking
Sea Post King

wilsmith wrote:
Kylee Janai wrote:

even though Collin couldn't get in for that one Spanish Moon show in Baton Rouge cause of his age, they planned the MMMWT and the new fall tour around no age restrictions for that and fans. There are a few 18+ shows, but he could just NOT play "Smarter" for those shows.

And about seniority--yeah Todd would rock it, but he's a luthier, husband, and sound guy. I don't know if he'd dig playing with them, especially since he's constantly tweaking sound (venue sound sucks sometimes cause of Eisley's demanding vocal and instruments). And even though Christie is older and has been doing music and playing guitar longer than Collin, from what I've seen and gathered he's a more advanced guitar player than her. She mocks her guitar abilities sometimes (though she's got wonderful rhythm) and doesn't ever play "solos." When I saw them play together, Collin took care of all the electric guitar, lead, and solo sections of Christie's live performance. Having said that, I think he'd be a pretty good candidate for "Smarter" live if Chauntelle HAD to play her specific part to make the song sound "right."

But the tour starts so soon and they are big believers in "if things aren't perfectly rehearsed, we don't play," so I doub't they'd try to add it in and teach Collin a part if it wasn't already on the list.

Last tour, they knocked 10 Sint Blues Clues after like a show or two because it was too difficult for them to all get perfectly together. I hated that. I don't care if they are frail and imperfect--that's what makes Eisly beautiful live. And "Ten Cent Blues" is one of my favorites and I was SO looking forward to it, then they just skipped it. They need more confidence in themselves. Everyone looses rhythm sometimes and has imperfections live, that's human and wonderful. Weakness is a key element to art.

but anyways, I just rambled SO MUCH. I'm so sorry, LC dudes and gals. I just thought my input might be useful for this hypothetical trying to figure out how they could play "Smarter," hah.

In a nutshell, I was really just saying Collin is good enough to do a heavy solo, that he's opening for them everynight so age isn't an issue, that they probably won't add it in now since the tour is starting so soon, and that they should embrace the songs they don't feel completely comfortable playing live, like "Ten Cent Blues." I have a feeling they are keeping TCBs for this tour though, since they played it at Brewtones (even though they played it at the first two shows last tour and still kicked it due to difficulty)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Todd played Lead guitar at the Christie full band show at Brewtones back in the day where Chauntelle Weston and Garron joined in for the fun, so I think he's up to the task if need be. No slight to Collin, it would be awesome for him to play it too.

Who knows, Sherri might too Confused

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Kylee Janai
Vintage Newbie

juan_diego wrote:
I'm sorry, I probably missed something somewhere in the depths of Trolley Wood and will probably get bashed for even asking, but.....

...Why can't Sherri just learn and play either Chauntelle's or Max's guitar part for Smarter? Do we doubt her guitar abillities? Confused

I doubt anyone is, I know I'm not. I just have never imagined Sherri playing guitar for this. Maybe because I haven't actually seen her play a part for the song, but also, to me, it's kinda like "Combinations" where it's just really all about those words and singin' them out loud and proud.. just sayin'.
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

I used to wonder whether Sheri was actually playing at all; they usually mix her so low. Had begun to doubt her guitar actually had electronics in it.

But someone posted some vids that sound like they were standing right next to Sheri's monitor...
So it seems she does actually play a reasonable rhythm guitar... not quite Johnny Marr, but...

Never heard her play any leads though.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Wow, I like that song so much better with Sherri's guitar upfront. Those chord voicings are awesome. I know where to try and stand next time I get to see them live Very Happy

Unregistered
Laughing Citizen

marshking wrote:
And about seniority--yeah Todd would rock it, but he's a luthier, husband, and sound guy. I don't know if he'd dig playing with them, especially since he's constantly tweaking sound (venue sound sucks sometimes cause of Eisley's demanding vocal and instruments).

Todd tweaks sound at the shows with Mark? Confused

Kappa962
I LIKE KNOBS, FADERS

Todd doesn't mix FOH, but he is a great guy to have around at sound check. Since he isn't mixing monitors on this tour he's able to be out front to help tweak everything in better.

Sherri's guitar can get lost in the mix very easily, but we're trying very hard to avoid that on this tour. Sometimes you have very little control, though. Tonight, the mix had no definition at all on the sides of the room, but was harsh in the middle. All you can do is try to find a compromise that makes both locations equally mediocre.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^ Laughing well said... been there done that back in my A/V tech days at UM-St. Louis and it's many poorly staged locals for shows and speaking engagements.

inorbit
Laughing Citizen

wilsmith wrote:
Wow, I like that song so much better with Sherri's guitar upfront. Those chord voicings are awesome. I know where to try and stand next time I get to see them live Very Happy

Agreed- It would be good to hear a bit more of her- I like her phrasing; I think they sound better with both the rhythm guitar and bass mixed a bit higher than they have been a lot of the time, especially the bigger shows. I think I remember they used to do it that way more before. Warner influence?

'course, if they did, they might be accused of playing "jangly 90's music" by some- not to mention any names.

I like that song very much any way I can get it though, and the arrangement for the Combinations tour was really effective- Same for Blackened Crown... kind of disappointed they don't seem to be using either of them again this tour- I think they were very successful last time around. Maybe for an encore? Perhaps?

oh yeah- guess what that ric actually works too!

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>