Laughing City
boone
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
The new vinyl will look rad peeking out of my messenger bag, wearing my plaid shirt and riding the fixie... drinking PBR of course.

Or on my $10,000 Clearaudio turntable with a $1,500 Grado cartridge into a $3,000 Whest phono stage, into A $4000 Woo Audio 300B tube amplifier, into $8,000 Rethm speakers with $200-per foot interconnects.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

mr pine wrote:
no sense in buying vinyl to look at it.

That's my philosophy too. I dropped $80 that I really couldn't afford at the time on the In Rainbows discbox, and in ten years it won't be worth anything because I've played the poop out of it. I've got autographed sleeves for several albums, but that doesn't stop me from listening to them. That's why they exist.

If Eisley want to drop a ridiculous amount of money on a vinyl pressing, I think they should get twice as many sleeves printed as actual LPs pressed so the people who want big album art to frame can have it and there will still be plenty of vinyl around for the folks who can and would listen to it.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

boone wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:
The new vinyl will look rad peeking out of my messenger bag, wearing my plaid shirt and riding the fixie... drinking PBR of course.

Or on my $10,000 Clearaudio turntable with a $1,500 Grado cartridge into a $3,000 Whest phono stage, into A $4000 Woo Audio 300B tube amplifier, into $8,000 Rethm speakers with $200-per foot interconnects.

If you are going to spin digitally recorded vinyl, you might as well buy a PS1 at a thrift store for $10 bucks and run the audio into your preamp.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
boone
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
boone wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:

If you are going to spin digitally recorded vinyl, you might as well buy a PS1 at a thrift store for $10 bucks and run the audio into your preamp.

Tell that to a guy with a $5,000 CD player.
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

boone wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:
boone wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:

Tell that to a guy with a $5,000 CD player.

Have you ever tried the PS1 CD player theory? I have a couple old PS1s, but I'm not enough of an audiophile to know the difference in quality.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
boone
Vintage Newbie

I'm not much of an Audiophile. I do love nice, warm tube and MOSFET amps and good speakers, though. I've been looking for a unique home theater setup, and have had to comb through a bunch of needlessly expensive stuff.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

For a while their the best audio I'd heard was using an Aux RCA input to play a discman via a mini-to RCA adapter out of a Combo-unit from the 70s with the Turntable, 8-Track, Tuner, which is on top of the TV in this picture (the turntable is cut off in this shot:

I had another unit that had a cassette player in addition to the other parts, it was a newer (early 80s) unit and didn't sound as nice. That one was labeled solid state, but it was so warm and powered up & down nice and slow (whatever was on would fade out), so I'm betting there was at least a Pre-amp tube in there for something. It came with these wicked loud shelf speakers that were frayed, so I lucked up and got some nice sony speakers (of the same vintage) that also had RCA ends, and used the floor speakers from my other combo unit (also pretty ancient) but well balanced, ( 3" inch dome tweeters, 10" inch woofers in the Realistic speakers, a radioshack brand, from the newer unit, and 4 inch tweeter, and 2-8" woofers in each of the sony speakers). I gave it to my Ex in 08'. Ms. Take Neutral

It cost my $0 as it was given to my mom by a coworker (the tubey one). The Realistic one with the cassette & speakers cost me nothing, but to get it. I did donate $25 electively to the Baptist Student Union that was giving it away. That one I gave to the DJ I recruited to replace me when I left my college, so she could listen to all the Vinyl singles and LPs we got for our Hip Hop specialty show (literally dozens a week). Last I heard she still has it. It had RCA outs (and the speaker jacks were RCA outs, so you could use them too, at your own risk, like an attenuated sub-amp, so I see why she kept it, she can use it with any stereo with an aux as a record player.

Oh jeez, I geeked all the way out right there, talking bout stuff room years gone by. Anyways, I have a record player, but for my Mom's old records and occasional finds that are cheap or out-of-print or vinyl only. I still buy cds, and didn't stop buying tapes till 99' Razz I wasn't giving up till they lowered the price of cds, and then they raised the price of tapes and came out with MP3s, sealing the deal. And the stereo I have now, I bought of Chuck Rinehart (RIP)
who ran the record store I worked at. It's an early 90's Phillips stereo surround sound amp and single cd player. My bandmate was giving 4 1980s Phillips speakers, each 30" high, in wood inclosures, with Horn tweeters and 15" woofers & tone controls, cause she knew we were in a band and thought we could use them. Ironically, Chuck kept his speakers for his new Tuner and cd changer, but the ones he had were sorta like these, cept with more embellished enclosures, so I took em' and used em', replacing the pair of sony floor speakers I bought in 98' to go with Chucks old unit. He sold the Tuner and cd player to me for maybe $170 and It cost me $20 bucks to get some repairs done to the Tuner, and I payed $180 (in 12 month installments) for the speakers back then. I was earning Minimum wage working 10 hours a week and lived off toasted garlic bread, microwave burritos, explaining my high cholesterol now Laughing so I guess that's how I afforded it?

Anyways, I've gotten 12 years out of the set up, and repurposed a lot of the other electronics I've come across since then to others. To this day people still bring me their old speakers from shelf systems and what not for me to use, to no avail. I just ended up setting up matrix stereo on the amps of people I knew who had A/B speaker outs (mostly older tuners and amps at my jobs).

This is what happens when I don't get enough sleep and people start talking about stuff I've spend a 3rd of my life being deep off into.

Embarassed

*that was my 2nd guitar, a silvertone archtop that my buddy Mike King III of Delta Strings guitar shop hand wired a pickup for. There was a short that made it have this bass-ey Octave below sound that inspired me getting a peavy delta blues 1*15 with my tuition refund back in the day so I could play with my drummer buddy sans bass player (a constant for us back then). Eventually the short killed it, and when he fixed it, it sounded like a really nice jazzy archtop. I gave it to a friend's son so he could practice acoustic but rock out through an amp if he wanted. It was wicked in it's prime. So yeah, I went through a "givin' under-appreciated stuff away face" which was probably only so because I didn't have the internet at the time, or I would've milked all the offers I got to sell it from all these Boomers who'd make me offers AS I WAS PERFORMING Evil or Very Mad

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area

<< prev | goto page