Laughing City
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

I posted this in the "LP3" thread but decided it needed it's own thread.

Podcast and Playlist for 01/02/11 featuring Smarter

http://www.kdge.com/pages/ac.html

Click on the link after Listen to Part 3 that says "Click Here". It starts at about 0:45.

I'm liking it a lot, like, a whole lot. The beginning is reminding me a little of "Sea King" with the organ coming in but it definitely takes a different direction. I love the bridge and the effect on Stacy's vocals during it, too. It's been on repeat since I found the link, I'm not gonna lie.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
norad
Vintage Newbie

Thanks for posting the link! SO excited!!
Last edited by norad on Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
kulvir
Laughing Citizen

I have been avoiding listening to the new songs being performed so the new album would be fresh but I couldn't resist listening to this. Wow.
princesstripandfall
Lost at Forum

As someone who was not the biggest fan of Smarter (and having been at Baylor when it premiered),I have to admit I am really impressed by the album version. I absolutely love it. I *am* concerned about how it will translate live because their mix tends to get really muddy and I don't know if they can pull it off without drowning eachother out (vocally and instrumentally) but...we'll see! Wink
marshkingsdaughter
Golly, Poster

The only thing I don't like about this song is the weird gap at the end between the sort of bridge and the final chorus (the part where Chauntelle sings). I know that the live version of the song that I have on my iPod leaves that out. Maybe I'm just used to hearing it a different way, but every time I listen to the official version of "Smarter," I'm let down by that part.

But that's a personal preference/issue. Otherwise, the song is totally

http://inconnumag.com
kLafied
Laughing Citizen

Love love love!
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

princesstripandfall wrote:
As someone who was not the biggest fan of Smarter ... I have to admit I am really impressed by the album version.

+1

And I just have to say that Sherri's vocal performance on this song is inspiring. Powerful, emotive, crisp, and spot-on.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Hmmm... sounds just like the :30s on Amazon on my speakers, which is... GOOD! Razz

I just wish it was the track that closed the album but I understand that it's probably going to be a single, so it NEEDS to be upfront.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
kathymunster
Golly, Poster

i agree, i wasn't really feeling smarter when they first started playing it.
but i really like the album version.

-Mae West
marshkingsdaughter
Golly, Poster

wilsmith wrote:

I just wish it was the track that closed the album but I understand that it's probably going to be a single, so it NEEDS to be upfront.

I kind of like "Ambulance" as the final track anywhoo, because it sounds like it would lead really well into "192 Days," which would be Very Happy if we get that as a bonus track.

http://inconnumag.com
Jain
Sea Post King

I like Eisley. I really really do. And after feeling nothing for most of the songs on Combinations, I was really hoping The Valley would turn all of that around. I know the Eisley of Room Noises is long gone, so I wasn't holding my breath for that, but albums that follow a lot of internal trouble and turmoil tend to be really great, and so I had high hopes.

However, I think my love affair with this band is coming to an unfortunate end. I really dug the live version of "Smarter" - I was expecting it to be one of my favorite songs on the album - and I truly want to hear what all of you seem to be hearing.. but I don't.
Sherri's voice doesn't carry nearly the same amount of emotion that it does - as it should - in the live versions (particularly the first one), and and I know it's cliched to comment on something like this, but I don't care at all for the production. For lack of a better word, it sounds very produced. All the parts (instruments, vocals) sound detached from each other, the vocals in the chorus and bridge sound very processed, and Sherri's vocals during the chorus aren't really allowed to breathe to make everything sound natural (the "you" in "I'm smarter than you" is just cut, and not allowed to bleed into Stacy's oooo's).

And then I can't really judge a song based on a short 30-second clip, but "Please" and "Mr. Moon" were the only two that sounded promising from the clips on Amazon. I'll still buy the album, but... Sad.

I had more to say, but I don't want to rain anymore on everyone's parade. At least I still have Room Noises to keep near and dear to my heart, which I always will.
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

Jain wrote:
I like Eisley. I really really do. And after feeling nothing for most of the songs on Combinations, I was really hoping The Valley would turn all of that around. I know the Eisley of Room Noises is long gone, so I wasn't holding my breath for that, but albums that follow a lot of internal trouble and turmoil tend to be really great, and so I had high hopes.

However, I think my love affair with this band is coming to an unfortunate end. I really dug the live version of "Smarter" - I was expecting it to be one of my favorite songs on the album - and I truly want to hear what all of you seem to be hearing.. but I don't.
Sherri's voice doesn't carry nearly the same amount of emotion that it does - as it should - in the live versions (particularly the first one), and and I know it's cliched to comment on something like this, but I don't care at all for the production. For lack of a better word, it sounds very produced. All the parts (instruments, vocals) sound detached from each other, the vocals in the chorus and bridge sound very processed, and Sherri's vocals during the chorus aren't really allowed to breathe to make everything sound natural (the "you" in "I'm smarter than you" is just cut, and not allowed to bleed into Stacy's oooo's).

And then I can't really judge a song based on a short 30-second clip, but "Please" and "Mr. Moon" were the only two that sounded promising from the clips on Amazon. I'll still buy the album, but... Sad.

I had more to say, but I don't want to rain anymore on everyone's parade. At least I still have Room Noises to keep near and dear to my heart, which I always will.

Oh, I totally understand. However, there are some things that can be pulled off live that don't sound as good once put into a studio produced song. It seems harder (to me) to be able to put that emotion on to the album, for them. They've always played more passionate live and I think maybe the way their vocals are mixed might have something to do with that. But I know it's harder to translate a song that sounds very passionate and honest once you start recording it.

I do home recordings (crappy ones, to be honest) and I feel like half of the time I can't seem to get the emotion across that I want to. It doesn't always turn out the way you want it to and sometimes you've got to accept that you can have a solid recording, maybe not as emotional as you want it, but leave the punch to the live performace and blow them away live.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
mikep0922
Lost at Forum

Love it! Can't wait to hear it on my favorite radio station! Because I'm sure I will! Smile
Jain
Sea Post King

The_Paronomasial_Mattoid wrote:

Oh, I totally understand. However, there are some things that can be pulled off live that don't sound as good once put into a studio produced song. It seems harder (to me) to be able to put that emotion on to the album, for them. They've always played more passionate live and I think maybe the way their vocals are mixed might have something to do with that. But I know it's harder to translate a song that sounds very passionate and honest once you start recording it.

I do home recordings (crappy ones, to be honest) and I feel like half of the time I can't seem to get the emotion across that I want to. It doesn't always turn out the way you want it to and sometimes you've got to accept that you can have a solid recording, maybe not as emotional as you want it, but leave the punch to the live performace and blow them away live.

Hmm.. I definitely understand where you're coming from, in terms of it being difficult to translate emotion on a recording. And I would like to give give them the benefit of the doubt, but on the other hand, Sherri's cover of "Heartless" came off as very heartfelt, and at least seemed to have a lot of emotion behind it. I thought it was a beautiful cover. And then her alternate version of "White Christmas" that she recorded with Max made a more powerful impression on me than the album version of "Smarter", which just seems silly, since the latter actually stems from severe heartbreak.

I don't know. I want the band to be successful, so I hope it's just me. But I can't help but feel disappointed..
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

You know, if anything I think they made Smarter sound less raw so that it would sound more like Eisley as they have been known, mixing the guitars down, highlighting the piano and vocals. I personally think that's why so many people prefer this version, it sounds "more like the band" that we've known.

I will say this, as far as I know, the Studio version of Smarter was done before the first live performance in Colorado, so what we've heard up till this point was never what was recorded...

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area

goto page
 | next >>