Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

inorbit wrote:
cynlovescandy wrote:
In my feeble but honest opinion:
Compression is like auto tune. It's an effect. It's often used to correct small pitch/volume errors, but ultimately, it's an effect.

Beg to differ- not the same: Up to a point, they both give you cheesy... But go a little further with the autotune, and you get daft Laughing

Dangit! It took me years to get that friggen song out of my head! Laughing

boone
Vintage Newbie

Come on, you know The Daft used a vocoder for that. Or, as they'll probably eventually change the name to: Manual-Tune.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

"Manual-tune" reminds me of my old car. Every time I stepped on the clutch, the CD player would go to the next song. I miss that hunk o junk.
johnip
Vintage Newbie

cynlovescandy wrote:
"Manual-tune" reminds me of my old car. Every time I stepped on the clutch, the CD player would go to the next song. I miss that hunk o junk.

hahaha I wish my car would do something like that! All it does is vibrate violently and rattle bolts and things loose. Rolling Eyes

Laughing Citizen

cynlovescandy wrote:

Dangit! It took me years to get that friggen song out of my head! Laughing

I know. Insidious, wasn't it?
----
edit: and it and a couple of other miserable earbugs from that era came along just around the time I'd spent the better part of a decade getting rid of this one-
(but if you're susceptible to earbugs you're better off not clicking through.)

boone wrote:
Come on, you know The Daft used a vocoder for that. Or, as they'll probably eventually change the name to: Manual-Tune.

Think that one is almost all Antares abuse. For comparison though, pretty sure this one was "manual tuned". Smile
not come off like some sad old raver or anything
->edit... Anway, these days everyone's doin' it
Last edited by inorbit on Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
oliez
Vintage Newbie

Wow...

This went from a discussion of the new Eisley album (which most of us have been waiting years for) to the analog vs. digital debate that this forum has been having for years...Debbie Downers...

----

We all know that Eisley CAN NOT afford to to record in analog. Been there...debated that...

We ALL know that Eisley would love to record/mix/master/release in analog, but there is no way in "these days" without the funding of labels that have the facilities or $$$.

Eisley has recorded an album and they want to give it to us. I'm more than ready for any new music this band wants to release...be it recorded/mixed digitally/in analog.

I can not wait for the new record and the 30 second clips have done nothing more than made me more anxious for the new album (they all sound great). I'm beyond happy/elated/etc. that Eisley has the ability to release (physically and digitally) another album through any label. Another HUGE thanks to Equal Vision for signing the band and releasing the album so soon.

As far as the S. Stevens' recording, I pull the availability of sources card on this one...We're talking about a family band from the middle of nowhere Texas that just wants to put out records for no other reason than just for people to hear...from this, who knows what might come...A whole new beginning is starting now...Hopefully you all can pull the "hipster card" and say "I knew them when"...

Welcome all new comers to the forum brought in by Eisley compressed releases of The Valley found on Amazon.com...the more the merrier...the more, the more records Eisley has sold.
Last edited by oliez on Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:39 pm; edited 3 times in total
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

^ because remember, our discussion about this is serious business...
(especially now that all the newer fans are over on facebook)
oliez
Vintage Newbie

inorbit wrote:
^ 'cause remember, our discussion about this is serious business...
(especially now that all the newer fans are over on facebook)

Ha. Yes. Because what we say here is taken to heart by the band...(ha...)

You all think that the band cares that you all disagree with the dynamics of the new songs? Speak your mind because it falls on no ears...the forum has seemed to become a place just to complain about everything the band does...no matter the intentions of the topics. There's always something to complain about...and nothing productive is brought about anymore.

I'm enjoying the fact that a new album will be released in a few months...with basics once thought to be a "forum first" (like the color of vinyl) going to facebook...

Eisley doesn't need this forum anymore...and I'm glad they don't. As positive as posts start out...they always end negatively by people who think they know better than the band/their label...

Who needs a forum with facebook/twitter? I've received more response from Boyd from twitter than I ever did through here.

Laughing City has become a place for people of Room Noises/Combinations-Eisley fans to relive the "good ol' days". I can not wait to see what happens after this spring...Here's hoping this site will be over ran with new fan...bring on the noobs and people excited about learning about Eisley and the music they've made before The Valley.
Last edited by oliez on Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:58 pm; edited 4 times in total
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

^ sounds productive. Glad you're taking care of the really important stuff over there. Keep up the good work. Its especially critical that you be able to get timely responses from Boyd, given the importance of your endeavors.
norad
Vintage Newbie

What the heck. Confused
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

Not at all. It think it's critically important to the success of the band that someone assume the roll of monitoring the boards here to ensure that the negative elements are brought up short as quickly as possible. After all, Boyd can't be everywhere at once. I'm sure you're good work is much appreciated.
oliez
Vintage Newbie

inorbit wrote:
Boyd can't be everywhere at once.

agreed...and that someone should be involved in the forum...the band/boyd can't do it all now that things are starting to go off again with all the promos....5 people and a dad/+some can only do so much...If this place will keep any calm with the new record, someone on the inside needs to keep us all in check. Sorry Nora to confuse you...It's been a while since I've been back here...and to come back and see everyone debating the new recording's volume again really set me off...
Last edited by oliez on Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

oliez wrote:
inorbit wrote:
Boyd can't be everywhere at once.

agreed...and that someone should be involved in the forum...the band/boyd can't do it all now....

Well, sounds like you're the man. And you've made a good start. Thanks for straightening things out for all of us. I'm sure you'll do an outstanding job of ensuring that only affirming remarks are posted from here on. Especially as the moderator seems to be neglecting this duty so badly at this critical time.

It is, of course, most important that the LC side of things be kept calm.
Last edited by inorbit on Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
boone
Vintage Newbie

oliez wrote:
Wow...

This went from a discussion of the new Eisley album (which most of us have been waiting years for) to the analog vs. digital debate that this forum has been having for years...Debbie Downers...

Wait. Dude...what? Nobody was talking about that. Compression and lack of dynamic range are not a digital issue; analog compressors have been around for seventy years. The so-called "loudness war" has been traced back to the early seventies. Cool your jets.

And, for what it actually was, the discussion was really civil. Everybody's opinion and information was freely shared and discussed, and appreciated. You came in all negative.

Quote:
We all know that Eisley CAN NOT afford to to record in analog. Been there...debated that...

We ALL know that Eisley would love to record/mix/master/release in analog, but there is no way in "these days" without the funding of labels that have the facilities or $$$.

Again...what? Why do we all know that? It's patently untrue. It doesn't cost any more to record an album on tape. It's just a different process. Rosewood Studio has a 24 track, so there were the resources. They just didn't want to.

Why didn't they want to? Don't know. But all their albums (even the bajillion dollar Room Noises) were recorded digitally. I guess they like the convenience. Or maybe it just doesn't matter to them, really. But they're always kind of tweaking on the songs, especially in the mixing phase, which is a lot easier to do digitally.

Quote:
As far as the S. Stevens' recording, I pull the availability of sources card on this one...We're talking about a family band from the middle of nowhere Texas that just wants to put out records for no other reason than just for people to hear...from this, who knows what might come...A whole new beginning is starting now...Hopefully you all can pull the "hipster card" and say "I knew them when"...

I'm pretty sure Sufjan Stevens records digitally, too. And, for the most part, from home. He uses real instruments and analog synthesizers, but so do Eisley. And I don't know why it takes more resources to make things sound less compressed. You don't need to defend them, dude, they're just doing things the way they want them to be done. And, according to a handful of Boyd posts, the band seems to like "slight" compression, and were forced to go a more heavy-handed route on earlier albums by powers unnamed. Their new material seems to reflect that.

I'm not sure why you're being so aggressive. Everybody was having a good time until you showed up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

tsk tsk boone. You're not being a team player. It is essential that the board be kept calm. And stop being negative and debating the specifics of the recordings. How is Oliez supposed to do his important job without your cooperation? Didn't you see his post? And it is important for us all to remember that the label always knows best, as he so cogently reminded us.
Last edited by inorbit on Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>