Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>
oliez
Vintage Newbie

Ha. Yeah...and now I might as well resign my so far important job to the the audiofile Eisley fans (whom seem to have an opinion right on to another)...as long as they use their expertise for good. Here's to The Valley.
Last edited by oliez on Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

Yeah and quit pickin on Daft Punk!!

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

Nowhere Man wrote:

daft punk is fair game--- even if I did just laugh tangelo up my nose.
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

inorbit wrote:
Nowhere Man wrote:

At least do it on Daft Punk's forum so they can see it and go back and change their songs to fit your specs.

inorbit
Laughing Citizen

Nowhere Man wrote:
inorbit wrote:
Nowhere Man wrote:

At least do it on Daft Punk's forum so they can see it and go back and change their songs to fit your specs.

Confused I feel misunderstood....
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

inorbit wrote:
Nowhere Man wrote:
inorbit wrote:
Nowhere Man wrote:

Confused I feel misunderstood....

me too, I shoulda put a Razz

norad
Vintage Newbie

oliez wrote:
Sorry Nora to confuse you...It's been a while since I've been back here...and to come back and see everyone debating the new recording's volume again really set me off...

Oh no I'm not confused. I actually agree with what you said. It just seemed that the response to your post came off as very rude (and the one after that). Thus my "what the heck?" response. But maybe it was supposed to be funny? Cool
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Uh, as far as I understood the Compression & recording discussion related to the Topic itself, indifferent of Eisley, since it was only brought up in reference to the way amazon super-compresses the clips (which some thought was unflattering for these songs) and grew into a sub-topic.

On the other hand, there have been positive and negative reactions to the songs, and that's to be expected anywhere. I think the Volume of posts on the FB comments might drown that out a little bit, but I don't think it was the "audiophile" in particular downing the songs. Off basic recollection, most of the lukewarm folks were NOT participating in the compression discussion that emerged. It just so happens, a lot of the people who are active musicians, or have been, like to "talk shop" on the subject, and the LC is one place where we congregate and do that, and where better than discussion of a Recording and it's quality?

That said, I think folks snapped back a little cause it seemed like Oliez was bashing the audio discussion and lumping it in with a general criticism of Eisley discussion from long ago, which it was not. They were independent discussions on the some thread, so to be outed as a kill joy seems unwarranted and I don't think rebuking the comments dissing audiophiles, and the current LC populace as out of touch and insignificant because Facebook and twitter exist was out of place. I'm a follower of Eisley on FB too, and Boyd's responded to my comments too, and other boardies too, some don't have the same UIDs on FB as they do here. Trashing someone cause they're on the board a lot seems a little naive, cause they may have a presence everywhere the band is. If you go to Myspace even, there's a series of convos with folks up there after Boyd updated it that were lengthy exchanges, touching on stuff no one asked here, or maybe even FB, that go no mention elsewhere. I just stumbled on it looking to stream a song, so there you go. It just seemed like Oliez way a little self-righteous (intentional or not) calling others out for being Elitist. Pot vs. Kettle at best in my book.

And yeah, I loved the clips, I said so, posted pictures, and I'm an Audiophile, that is a fan of Eisley, that participated in the discussion of both topics on this thread, that follows Eisley on Twitter & FB too. I've written about them at http://www.playbackstl.com and will again soon to promote the new record. Do I count now?

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Dang, I would have chimed in a lot sooner if I could have. I don't think Oliez was out of bounds at all, and I happen to agree with most of his points. If we have the freedom to criticize the band, then we have the freedom to defend them, too. Just because someone doesn't agree with your contrarian opinion doesn't mean your free speech has been oppressed.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
Last edited by TheAntrider on Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:29 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

everyone is writing way too long for me to read everything, but i do have some comments on some bits it read.

how does compression fix tuning?

what is your basis on saying analog recording costs more?

inorbit
Laughing Citizen

Its true, I may have been slightly more acerbic than necessary last night, although I don't think I started out that way and, in fairness, the exchange does loose something in light of the post edits and deletions.
...and once it became apparent how hard he was gonna bite, the temptation became irresistible.... I'm not superhuman, comeon... any mortal would have done the same at 3 o'clock in the morning

But I don't think anyone accused Oliez of "being out of line", per se.

And personally, I just happened to be on the boards a lot the last couple of days because I'm doing some particularly tedious work that involves periodic waiting for stuff.
Last edited by inorbit on Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:16 am; edited 3 times in total
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Oh my God, the last two pages of this thread. Laughing

oliez wrote:
If this place will keep any calm with the new record, someone on the inside needs to keep us all in check.

Hahahahahaha, really? If you want a picture of the future of the Eisley forum, imagine a boot stamping on a human face—forever.

Seriously though, you're speaking in nebulous terms that have no relationship to what's really happening in this discussion or on the forum at large (you said yourself you haven't been here in a while), and it makes you sound like a tool.

I'm not sure what you think the opposite of "calm" would be when the new record comes out, but if it includes one or two people posting about how they don't like the production and/or songwriting on The Valley (which is likely the most exciting thing that will happen), that's not exactly the end of the world.

Yes, the moderators don't have much time for moderating or weighing in on argumentative threads nowadays, but unless someone starts swearing at someone else (which hasn't even happened in this contentious thread--unless you all did some of that in the posts that got edited/deleted), it's really not a problem. People can disagree calmly. They can even have arguments calmly (see also, this thread until you posted). They don't need to be kept in check for having opinions.

But you said it yourself--who needs forums when you have Facebook and Twitter? I'm sure when The Valley comes out, Eisley will realize this forum no longer serves any purpose for them and they'll delete it to avoid any further calamitous discussions about compression and how much we want Eisley albums on vinyl. Then you can tweet with Boyd about what a great decision the band made in deleting this community.

TheAntrider wrote:
Just because someone doesn't agree with your contrarian opinion doesn't mean your free speech has been oppressed.

No, when someone implies that people with contrarian opinions need to be censored or kept "in check," that's when our free speech is in danger of being oppressed. Just because people don't agree with your positive opinion doesn't mean their posts need to be moderated.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
Dang, I would have chimed in a lot sooner if I could have. I don't think Oliez was out of bounds at all, and I happen to agree with most of his points. If we have the freedom to criticize the band, then we have the freedom to defend them, too. Just because someone doesn't agree with your contrarian opinion doesn't mean your free speech has been oppressed.

I don't think he was out of bounds, it just seemed like ( and I don't feel personally outed or anything) he was mixing apples with oranges, and if I wanted to be miffed for that reason, I have grounds to take offense just as much as he did. I'm just saying no one has the high ground in the argument. It just looks more kosher to me if people don't lump things in together that shouldn't be when making criticisms or arguments, just for clarity's sake. If you're gonna get upset by something, make sure you're perception isn't distorted*. I say this as someone who has make a life of misreading and then vehemently criticizing other people's arguments, and thing being corrected or conversely, miss-stating my arguments and vehemently defending them to only find out I was in agreement with said person, and there was a misunderstanding about my intent.

So yeah, no villains here, and oddly enough, if recall the people most critical of the songs just didn't like the songs and musical direction, had nothing to do with compression. That's why I say splitting hairs when making these kinds of arguments is important.

oliez wrote:
Wow...

This went from a discussion of the new Eisley album (which most of us have been waiting years for) to the analog vs. digital debate that this forum has been having for years...
I've been on the board just shy of 3 years and this topic came up once in that time, again, in a discussion that was completely independent of an Eisley release in particular, and just a riff on the subject inspired partially by a RS article on the recording of Metallica's Death Magnetic released digitally & on cd vs. the Rock Band (or was it Guitar Hero? ) version. Hear it came up in a discussion of Amazon.com samples and their method, not The Valley's quality. And Inorbit is as new to the board as I am, so we weren't even there, so to to get lumped in with an "old tired debate" as to was portrayed, is well, new for us, and I've never even bothered to discuss it anywhere else (real or digital world) at any other point of time, only here, only twice, independent of criticism of Eisley. Just talkin' shop

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Last edited by wilsmith on Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:32 am; edited 1 time in total
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

oliez wrote:

We all know that Eisley CAN NOT afford to to record in analog. Been there...debated that...

Oh yes, I forgot how obscenely expensive 8-tracks are these days...

And was there ever any discussion of digital vs. analog in this thread?

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

JBaker wrote:
oliez wrote:

We all know that Eisley CAN NOT afford to to record in analog. Been there...debated that...

Oh yes, I forgot how obscenely expensive 8-tracks are these days...

And was there ever any discussion of digital vs. analog in this thread?

Only if you count me talking about why tracks are recorded so "Hot" nowadays as being a bi-product of going digital. Otherwise, that was more something that came up in the In Rainbows + OK Computer mashup thread, when Saellys mentioned having it on Vinyl and it being recorded to tape, that confused the mess outta me Laughing

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>