Laughing City
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

http://www.eisley.com/journals/trolleywood/_38261/#c

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
kLafied
Laughing Citizen

Yeah.. I'm a little annoyed he brought up my "infidelity" comment. I wasn't trying to say it in a mean way, it was just a trend I noticed after listening to clips/full songs such as "Smarter," "Ambulance," "Sad," and "Please." (Am I wrong?) I buy every single album/EP the band puts out, merchandise, go to every show I can, and spread the word about the band to all my friends (I've introduced people through my youtube and post every newly released song on my facebook as recommendation.) I've also always respected the band by NOT talking/asking about their personal issues on here. Maybe it was going a little too far, but if you're gonna release songs, why can't I comment on the content of the lyrics? It makes me not want to post on here anymore... didn't know I was being judged negatively on the things I said by the band and then being "slapped on the wrist" through a journal. It made me feel bad for something I don't think I should feel bad for.
Last edited by kLafied on Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
princesstripandfall
Lost at Forum

Definitely a little heavy on the snark-factor.
It's a bit strange to bring something up with such specific reference and then say you're "not going to go there." Why mention it? Rolling Eyes

Regardless, I'm grateful that the ole journal got used. I usually just skim the entries because they tend to be very redundant, but I appreciate the effort and the "hey, the band still lurks!" shout out.

*crickets*

Yay, Trolleywood!
kLafied
Laughing Citizen

Maybe I'm overreacting, but I've never had a comment of mine acknowledged by Boyd/the band on here before, and I just find it sad that it was on probably the only negative comment I've ever made about them.
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

I'd be a little irked, myself.

I was, of course, being indirectly referred to, but meh. It's true that I wasn't aware the band still read the forum, but I can't apologize for any of my comments.

It's a bummer that they end up focusing on the negative critiques, but I don't think it does anyone any real good to constantly have smoke blown up their ass.
Last edited by tahruh on Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

Hmmm.

I don't think Boyd meant it that way.
I think he was just pointing out that it's kinda scary releasing an album, and not wanting your work to be misunderstood.
It's obvious that the album will be influenced by "infidelity". I think Boyd was pointing out that there is a lot more to the album than just that. For example: finding love again, coming to terms with changes... a million things happen during the process of healing a broken heart, and this album will be about all of those intricacies.

It sucks that he used you as an example, but I think he just wanted to point out that the band was nervous about how people would respond to their newer, more honest and vulnerable songs.

Does that make sense?

This isn't to say you shouldn't be annoyed, I just wanted to provide an outside opinion.

kLafied
Laughing Citizen

cynlovescandy wrote:
Hmmm.

I don't think Boyd meant it that way.
I think he was just pointing out that it's kinda scary releasing an album, and not wanting your work to be misunderstood.
It's obvious that the album will be influenced by "infidelity". I think Boyd was pointing out that there is a lot more to the album than just that. For example: finding love again, coming to terms with changes... a million things happen during the process of healing a broken heart, and this album will be about all of those intricacies.

It sucks that he used you as an example, but I think he just wanted to point out that the band was nervous about how people would respond to their newer, more honest and vulnerable songs.

Does that make sense?

This isn't to say you shouldn't be annoyed, I just wanted to provide an outside opinion.

That might be so, but my entire comment was saying how I loved the 30 second samples, and then threw in something like "they're almost all about.." I don't know hah, whatever.

cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

^ it's true. It's so weird how a person can give a compliment, and it can be filtered as criticism.

I don't think anyone thought you were being mean, girl. Honestly.

This is probably a bad example, but one time my old band was reviewed by the local paper. It said my vocals were Sarah Maclachlan-ish. It wasn't an insult, but it made me mad, because I was totally NOT going for that sound. Then I started thinking "how do people think my music sounds?" I freaked out. I wasn't mad at the paper for saying it, but I was a bit disheveled.

olimario
Laughing Citizen

I missed KLa's "infidelity" commentary. Can somebody link or recap?

Regardless, fans are going to have their own opinions and interpretations of music. I don't think they should ever have to feel judged for it.

On the flip side, we don't know Boyd's intent so I wouldn't feel attacked or judged until you know how he meant those comments.

I like this community a lot. I don't get ripped to shreds for all of my stupid opinions.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^ {edit} It was only like a little bitty sentence in a bit where we were all talking about the sound-clips before the one person got on our talking about audio quality and file formats... It was just 1 sentence, in a two sentence post, on page 12 of 20 in the LP3 thread. (I went and dug for it just for you!) I think we broached that subject, more when I posted the EVR Bio and we got into breaking it down and all that mess about whether it was emo or not...

Kaila, I didn't even remember it was you who mentioned that, or if anyone else mentioned that. I think it's the idea, not the source or intent that maybe struck a raw nerve. But I don't know the depth of the thought, but I think he was just pointing out things that stood out and were concrete evidence of their reading posts up here.

But it did strike me that Boyd was keeping it real, and forthright. He wrote that to the LC. That is Eisley speaking directly to us, I mean, content wise that was not some E-blast stuff at all. In some many ways, he expressed the care we have shown, and how much it matters to them. Nothing hurts more than an unexpected or unflattering observation from someone we care about.

What you're feeling is probably not unlike how they feel when we get snarky around here. I know I've said some things about the songs I don't like that I would be less likely to say if I were meeting them in person, where I would be more inclined to be complimentary and gracious. If I get called out in a Trolleywood post, I'm probably overdue (Ten Cents Blues threads...).

But you know, it may be a good thing that we get a little apprehensive about being called out on what we say and do around here. We are guests after all. I'm not saying marshal law, but maybe in general things will be more thoughtful "across the board"?

{edit} You know though, I don't think anyone on the board is going to be judged by one sentence or a passing observation they made about a few song clips. I just don't see this crowd, or the Duprees being that kind of folk. And I'll be honest, I feel guilty now cause, A. I made this thread B. I went off like a horse's-ass in that thread and made fun of you BF's name and didn't know what I was talking about. I know I'm not at some serious fault, but after a while, you get self-conscious when you feel you're always stepping on someone's toes inadvertently. Also I don't want to be knee-jerk defensive and be an overprotective fan. The scary thing is, So many of us have music out there, linked here, if Eisley (or any of us where's pantheon4 been all this time btw? ) felt the desire they could do the same thing to us we do to them (in regards to commentary on our music &/or visual art and writing) and it would be a major case of walking in the next person's shoes. The thought humbles me, but i'm a mediocre based on the recordings I share, so it's to be expected

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

kLafied wrote:
Love love love!
Ps. I love it, it's gorgeous
Officially pre-ordered!!
I told myself I'd only listen to it for one day... I've listened to it every day since, and 4 times in a row just now. Darn!
Umm... Just got my print today, and Sherri threw in an extra print for free since she lost the original one I ordered, plus a postcard apologizing! I love her.
Gosh I need this album to come out, I can only play Ambulance and the Valley so many times in one day!
I wish I didn't know about this because I'm assuming it's going to be a long while before any of the music is released, and I'm already dying to hear it! I love Stacy so much, especially after hearing her sing "Silver Spring." She's definitely a role model of mine...argh I can't wait!
I'm so excited!!!
I think I've watched it (Ambulance Live Cornerstone Video) about 50 times already..
I cried in defense of Eisley!

kLafied wrote:

This definitely made my day... "Watch It Die" and "Oxygen Mask" sound really good.
They're definitely almost all about infidelity though.
You disgust me you horrible fan!
Nah don't feel sad (and cry). I don't think you were being singled out, just something that came to mind at the time maybe.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

how come her post about infidelity gets noticed but mine about how every one of their songs is about how the white man tries to bring the brother man down goes unnoticed? Again.

whatever.

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
olimario
Laughing Citizen

What's wrong with what she wrote?
Can't see a problem with it.
freakinalex
Lost at Forum

mr pine wrote:
how come her post about infidelity gets noticed but mine about how every one of their songs is about how the white man tries to bring the brother man down goes unnoticed? Again.

whatever.

Because no one ever notices the brother man.

uncreative
Vintage Newbie

Wow, how does it feel to be under a microscope, kLafied? Haha.

But seriously, don't feel bad, there is absolutely nothing wrong with anything you've said. And don't let it make you not want to post here anymore! You're one of the better posters on the LC.