Laughing City
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
Yoko didn't play guitar. I could make a joke about singing voices, but he's got Yoko licked there too. He can sing in different ways, well, I just happen to not like them all. He's a plus, not a minus, the way many felt Yoko was.
I definitely do not see him as a plus. We've been down this road, though. But to be fair, I don't "see him" that much. In Smarter obviously, and I think the style of Sherri's songs are a bit inspired, but yeah, I don't think of it as a Yoko thing. I agree with Jamie, though, and think it could be if their side project didn't exist. And that's not really to slight either of them. They're both musicians, they're in love, they want to collaborate... Makes sense, really. So long as it's on their own time! - Entitled fan. Wink

Also, hi Libby. Personally appreciate your post. I, too, think Oxygen Mask is genius. It and I Wish are serious standouts, as I've stated numerous times. Razz
Jain
Sea Post King

libbylives wrote:
One of the voices is so warm and seamless and the other girls voice (Sherris?) is really nasally and pushed sounding.

It definitely seems like both song writers might be able to go bigger places if they went at what they did full force in their own directions instead of trying to mesh them? Maybe the edgy stuff could go more mainstream and the mellow-70s-pop feel be a real indie success? I know as more of an indie listener, I am turned off by the edgy-90s-early 2000 reminiscing.

Favourite tracks: Ambulance, Oxygen Mask (genius!), Kind.
Least favourite: Smarter, Sad, Better Love

Aside from the fact that I disagree that Sherri's voice is at all nasally, I'm confused by Sherri's songs being likened to 90s-era rock.

The chorus in Ambulance (a Stacy song) is ultra-reminiscent of the whole early-mid '90s angry women rock period, a la Alanis Morissette or Fiona Apple.
I don't hear any of Sherri's songs even coming close.
mermaidentwinedshrubbery
Sea Post King

Sherri's voice is shrilly and nasally. Don't know how anyone couldn't understand that. It works for her, though, so whatever. Smile

I am a Stacy fanboy, though. Her voice can do no wrong. And it's only getting better with age. I sent her a creepy message long ago telling her she should persue her own thing if Eisley ever broke up. Glad to know she's starting early. Smile
Joined: 10 Jun 2005 | Posts: 192 | Location: Castle Rock, CO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

omg eisley is not cannot break up.

My creepy fan gibberish aside...

Sherri's song writing style has always been more guitar driven, pop punkish, whatever you want to call it. I don't think it's been heavily influenced by Max.

Telescope Eyes, Tree Tops...

She also writes playful songs like Marsh King's Daughter, Plenty of Paper, 192 Days.

libbylives
Sea Post King

Hey, didn't mean any offense at all. Like I said they both have their own things going for them - and i really think BOTH would be more successful if they went more full force in those individual directions, that was all.

What I mean by 90s-early 2000s was that guitar drive pop/punk/emo influence. I hear that some in her guitar driven rhythms, vocal delivery and melody choice.

I don't think Ambulance sounds very 90s-chick-rock simply because Stacy's vocal is so different from that style. It's so clean and not that gritty.
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

ks1990 wrote:
bigideas wrote:
Is this the first time the songwriters took sole credit? I thought in the past the entire band shared songwriting credit.

I think it's interesting how they're not credited as a group anymore. I was perusing their ASCAP entries, and all the songwriting is credited to the group as a whole (except for Garron).

is there a way to tell on that site when the songs were copywritten?
there are not that many that we havent heard of. but i wonder the frame of some of them.

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
mister_joseph
Golly, Poster

part of that wonderful "major label contract" is that any song recorded while under contract--even if it is not released--belongs to the label. some labels are more lenient than others; there are instances of unbelievable harshness: for instance, the band School of Fish's leader was constantly writing songs; he submitted (from what rumor says) nearly a hundred compositions for consideration (due to the label saying, "go and write another song for the record"--a polite way of rejecting an album/telling the artist there is no "hit"), until eventually the label says, "you don't have it, we're dropping you" -- and then keeping all of those songs and not letting him have them back.

as to those ASCAP listings--it looks like Eisley signed as one "entity" when they signed to WB, as opposed to individuals. thus, Garron wouldn't appear on any legal contracts....

ks1990
Lost at Forum

mr pine wrote:
ks1990 wrote:
bigideas wrote:
Is this the first time the songwriters took sole credit? I thought in the past the entire band shared songwriting credit.

I think it's interesting how they're not credited as a group anymore. I was perusing their ASCAP entries, and all the songwriting is credited to the group as a whole (except for Garron).

is there a way to tell on that site when the songs were copywritten?
there are not that many that we havent heard of. but i wonder the frame of some of them.

I'm not sure. I'm assume they're probably copyrighted as they're submitted to the label.

BTW, they registered their first two albums worth of material with ASCAP. Does anyone know what company they registered The Valley? I checked BMI and SESAC, but couldn't find anything.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

wilsmith wrote:
Yoko didn't play guitar. I could make a joke about singing voices, but he's got Yoko licked there too. He can sing in different ways, well, I just happen to not like them all. He's a plus, not a minus, the way many felt Yoko was.

Also didn't mean to make a dig at Yoko. Laughing I was just trying to reference historic infighting involving significant others in music history.

Edit: Also, Chauntelle, Garron and Weston make significant contributions to songwriting via their respective instruments. Without the dynamics added by their work, Eisley's music would lack yet another dimension that makes them special.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

pitch black room?
is michael's song the original title of telescope eyes or the first song stacy wrote? interesting, just looking at come clean it looks like jon was taken off, but garren wasn't added like someone else said.

Retrovertigo
Sea Post King

bigideas wrote:
is michael's song the original title of telescope eyes or the first song stacy wrote?

They're different songs. I don't think anyone here has ever actually heard "Michael's Song", we've just heard of it's origins.

The duality of Eisley is probably why I keep listening. I've always felt it, even early on. It's why they're hard to pigeonhole, it sets them apart from other female acts. It keeps me from completely tiring of them, maybe.

The only reason people argue over it on this forum is because barely anyone can say they love one lead without taking a dig at the other.

If you look at their most "popular" or well-known songs it's pretty much split down the middle.

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Retrovertigo wrote:
The duality of Eisley is probably why I keep listening. I've always felt it, even early on. It's why they're hard to pigeonhole, it sets them apart from other female acts. It keeps me from completely tiring of them, maybe.

The only reason people argue over it on this forum is because barely anyone can say they love one lead without taking a dig at the other.

If you look at their most "popular" or well-known songs it's pretty much split down the middle.

Indeed. The digs at the less-favored member are what strike me as most pointless and silly.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mister_joseph
Golly, Poster

TheAntrider wrote:

Indeed. The digs at the less-favored member are what strike me as most pointless and silly.

hey, they can't all be Weston!

Polaris
Sea Post King

I feel Weston and Garron are (obviously) kinda overlooked in comparison. :?Makes me a little sad for them, but then again, they're part of Eisley, which is pretty awesome.

The duality and harmony of Stacy and Sherri definitely was part of what drew me to Eisley in the first place. I would not want them to ever break up the band.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

mister_joseph wrote:
TheAntrider wrote:

hey, they can't all be Weston!

So true ... so true.