Laughing City
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

Polaris wrote:

The second verse played out in my head like this; a couple gets into bed, (and I don't mean in a sexual way) and almost immediately, "without waiting till the bed was warm", the husband/boyfriend brings up this topic. "He closed his eyes and said 'I'm feeling torn.'" I feel the verse illustrates how quickly he brought up the topic that night, not how quickly he might have left.

Exactly what I thought. And I also wondered at first why she didn't say "bed was cold" but after thinking about it, this makes perfect sense. She's saying he was ready to bail right after getting married, essentially.

grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

I love during 'Please' how Stacy repeats I, I, lost, lost, trust, trust, just, just, etc. but then slips in 'surprise' to rhyme with 'disguise.' They have included less fantasy within their lyrics on this album but have gotten a lot more clever with they way they use words. I guess that's a fair trade.
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

MyPioneer wrote:
well, I agree with what was said just above me, but it could also be that a bed is something a couple share, and can be a metaphor for many things... a bed being warm, isn't neccessarily two people doing y'know 'whatever' in it, it's just two people sharing that bed. Their marraige was fairly short, (I don't wanna get in to the details) and I think the bed not being 'warm' is representing how short that marriage was, and how quick he began to feel 'torn' and left.
This. I didn't even remember the context of that lyric, and for some reason was thinking this was the song about whatsherface.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^Yeah, I didn't even realize what had been implied initially. I was just thinking of a shared bed being a symbol of marriage (or cohabitation in my case) and the significance of the warmth of another person on those nights when the room is chilly. It makes a big difference in terms of how long it takes for a bed to warm up, & that made the statement even more poignant to me. Makes me think of my old signature: Measure Twice, Cut Once.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Last edited by wilsmith on Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
StuartBuck
Sea Post King

OK, I get it now! I had had the image of someone lying in a warm bed, leaving, and then immediately (before the bed got cold) going off with someone else. But if the image is of a cold bed that hasn't even warmed up yet, that is actually a more powerful image.
johnip
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
^Yeah, I didn't even realize what had been implied initially. I was just thinking of a shared bed being a symbol of marriage (or cohabitation in my case) and the significance of the warmth of another person on those nights when the room is chilly. It makes a big difference in terms of how long it takes for a bed to warm up, & that made the statement even more poignant to me. Makes me think of my old signature: Measure Twice, Cut Once.

Sorry to pick on you Wil, but this is why I couldn't stand that literary analysis crap we did with poetry and stories in school. Folks get so deep into what sort of symbolism is carried in each word, that it always seemed to me they missed the whole point of the thing. You know, that whole "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" shtick.

Vintage Newbie

Laughing I said it was Conjecture. And I was taking it literally (the cold bed line meaning exactly that a cold bed, and when I say symbol of marriage, I only meant that sharing a bed has customarily been associated with being married, or that a couple are in a significant relationship) and just pointing out that it's a really loaded statement. My post ^up there^ was just specifying that I didn't realize that whoever brought the line up was implying it had to do "marital relations". I didn't ever read that into the lyrics.

But yeah, I totally understand an knew I was "going there' I sorta am peevish about that stuff too, which is why I got out of the poetry circuit and moved on to songwriting back in my Spoken word poet, poetry slam attending days Embarassed

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Last edited by wilsmith on Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:00 am; edited 1 time in total
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

The first lyric from the album's material that really caught my ear was:

"I walked all night and typically thats fine, but I might try sleeping for a bit"

I don't pick apart other peoples lyrics, and interpretations and suppositions are only relevant personally, but that line always struck me as just good.

The rest of that verse is pretty good too.
kristinebazan
Sea Post King

these are hands down my fave lines from the entire album:

oh you remember me
doubled over on the floor we start to read
and all the poetry convinces me
you were stolen from the waves at sea

eventually i'd like to get some eisley lyrics stamped on me. i was thinking something from blackened crown. but the lines above have really stuck w/ me lately. :]
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

kristinebazan wrote:
t
eventually i'd like to get some eisley lyrics stamped on me. i was thinking something from blackened crown. but the lines above have really stuck w/ me lately. :]

I don't know... Blackened crown was pretty timeless and classic lyrically imo.

For all the stick they took about seemingly immature/fantasy lyrics, thats about as mature as anything. Simple, but hauntingly poignant. As good as the Valley is, that one is hard to beat.

And the amazing thing is, how old was she when she wrote it? 12? 14 maybe?

Especially arrangement they pulled together for the combinations tour, its still some of there best work ever, I think.
kristinebazan
Sea Post King

inorbit wrote:
kristinebazan wrote:
t

I don't know... Blackened crown was pretty timeless and classic lyrically imo.

For all the stick they took about seemingly immature/fantasy lyrics, thats about as mature as anything. Simple, but hauntingly poignant. As good as the Valley is, that one is hard to beat.

And the amazing thing is, how old was she when she wrote it? 12? 14 maybe?

Especially arrangement they pulled together for the combinations tour, its still some of there best work ever, I think.

totally agree w/ you. i'm sure i'll stick w/ blackened crown. it's still one of my fave songs of theirs after all these years.
Mylovelyislostatsea
Sea Post King

"And do I fail to know what's in your eyes?" from Watch It Die is my favorite.
magicaljadestorm
Sea Post King

Caley wrote:
Here's mine... I'm sure after I listen to the album another 30 times, I'll have an even bigger list.

I WISH:
"I watched you from afar, a blazing burning star.
I came alive, a new design.
The tree of life is what you are."

MR. MOON:
"I might console you, but look at my sisters,
brilliant like fireflies
up in their bedroom."

Every time I hear the bolded parts, I'm always like, "Damn! Great line!"

EDIT: I just realized this... In three posts, I'll be Lost at Forum finally. It's only taken 5+ years! LOL.
Those are my favorites as well. Especially the one from Mr. Moon
Foolish boy. Don't you know anything about Fantasia? It's the world of human fantasy. Every part, every creature of it, is a piece of the dreams and hopes of mankind. Therefore, it has no boundaries. ~G'Mork