Laughing City
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

Sherri tweeted. EV is taking care of it. Smile
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

juan_diego wrote:
Alright let me get the deets on this. Tell me if I'm right.

I've been aware of Sherri's cover of Heartless since she released it for free on her Tumblr. If, I recall se wasn't too crazy about it and recorded it just playing around, but Collin and Christie were the ones who LOVED it and convinced her to share. It was like, last winter I believe.

So what has happened now? I don't watch The Voice, to be honest I don't even know what the premise of the show is. All I know about it is Adam Levine and Christina Aguilera are involved.

I do remember Sherri saying on the livestream they did a few weeks ago that this girl basically ripped off Sherri's cover. So I'm guessing this girl won the show? They released songs via iTunes to pay tribute to her? Using SHERRI'S cover without permission, and selling it without paying her royalties?

AWWWW HELL NAH!!!!!

Dat sh*it don't float in my bowl.

She didn't win. The released every finalists songs each week for a number of weeks. It wasa fun twist on a singing competition where the contestamts were picked for teams by stars without being seen, hence the title.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
woman4life
Golly, Poster

I didn't watch the show, haven't heard either cover, but I am familiar with Dia Frampton. She is local (well about and hour and a half from here.) She did well on the show (not sure, but I think 2nd?) but she didn't win from what I recall.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Christian
Sea Post King

wilsmith wrote:
do not be afraid. wrote:
Honestly, i don't think it sounds anything like Dia Frampton's version, apart from the obvious similarities resulting from it being the same damn song. The arrangements are completely different, their voices are completely different, everything is completely different, except for the fact it's two sort of “indie”-ish girls singing “Heartless.”

I honestly wouldn't mind paying 99˘ for it, if I knew the money was going to Sherri…

But the idea to do a stripped down, melancholy version of the song with a soft female vocal, it didn't exist to my knowledge prior to Sherri's. So, the issue isn't the similarity literally, but the concept.

Also, I think the style of the vocal and delivery is similar enough to warrant calling it a jack move.

I agree with do not be afraid./disagree with you, wilsmith. I've heard many, many covers of this song. Almost every single one of them either slows it down, makes it acoustic/indie-sounding, or both. While all of these covers have been men singing, I don't think Sherri has any right to make any "digs" at Dia for performing her cover.

Sherri may have been the first female I heard singing this song, but Dia's is very different in my opinion. It's a bit faster, has more going on in it instrumentally, and a lot of the notes are different. They are simply both females singing the same song.

Unless Dia has in some way acknowledged that she was influenced by Sherri somewhere, I think Sherri should let it go. She had an idea, published it for free, and then someone else came along with a similar idea that ended up more mainstream/widely released. That sort of thing happens all the time. It's nothing more than a coincidence. Every time she makes a dig on tumblr, Twitter, etc., she just sounds bitter.
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

perhaps the two should contact each other so there won't be too much miscommunication

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
norad
Vintage Newbie

I'm pretty sure the coaches chose the songs the contestants were to sing. Blake Shelton chose Heartless for Dia. I might be remembering that wrong though. Cool
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^ i missed that episode and caught the replay where they were all raving about it.

Christian wrote:
wilsmith wrote:
do not be afraid. wrote:
Honestly, i don't think it sounds anything like Dia Frampton's version, apart from the obvious similarities resulting from it being the same damn song. The arrangements are completely different, their voices are completely different, everything is completely different, except for the fact it's two sort of “indie”-ish girls singing “Heartless.”

I honestly wouldn't mind paying 99˘ for it, if I knew the money was going to Sherri…

But the idea to do a stripped down, melancholy version of the song with a soft female vocal, it didn't exist to my knowledge prior to Sherri's. So, the issue isn't the similarity literally, but the concept.

Also, I think the style of the vocal and delivery is similar enough to warrant calling it a jack move.

I agree with do not be afraid./disagree with you, wilsmith. I've heard many, many covers of this song. Almost every single one of them either slows it down, makes it acoustic/indie-sounding, or both. While all of these covers have been men singing, I don't think Sherri has any right to make any "digs" at Dia for performing her cover.

Sherri may have been the first female I heard singing this song, but Dia's is very different in my opinion. It's a bit faster, has more going on in it instrumentally, and a lot of the notes are different. They are simply both females singing the same song.

Unless Dia has in some way acknowledged that she was influenced by Sherri somewhere, I think Sherri should let it go. She had an idea, published it for free, and then someone else came along with a similar idea that ended up more mainstream/widely released. That sort of thing happens all the time. It's nothing more than a coincidence. Every time she makes a dig on tumblr, Twitter, etc., she just sounds bitter.

Okay, if were gonna take sides, so be it. Razz

Anyways, i think sherri's quips are tongue in cheek, just off of the banter she usually puts out there live and in various vids.

I will be the first to put it out there that prior to sherri the only version of Heartless i heard was Kanye's. I didn't hear another until Dia's, so in my anti-open mic, anti-singing show, anti-youtube cover videos, life style there are three versions, and Dia's sounds more like Sherri's than Kanye's.

i liked Dia's performances for the most part, but she doesnn't have one of those overpowering voices. i rooted for her despite the Heartless controversy. oh well, to each their own. if i'd heard that many versions of the song i'd be sick of it, so i'm lucky i only have the two in my collection to remind me of my own gutwrenching betrayal by a love the year that came out. hooray me Exclamation Wink

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

I haven't read any "digs" at Dia, from Sherri. I thought she was just mad at the creeper who was selling her song on iTunes.
golly andrew
Laughing Citizen

norad wrote:
I'm pretty sure the coaches chose the songs the contestants were to sing. Blake Shelton chose Heartless for Dia. I might be remembering that wrong though. Cool

Dia chose it. She told a tale of how she often jogged to it and knew all the words. Shelton chose "I Won't Back Down" for their duet because he remembered Petty is her favorite.
Joined: 23 Mar 2005 | Posts: 1919 | Location: In a glass case of emotion
norad
Vintage Newbie

golly andrew wrote:
norad wrote:

Dia chose it. She told a tale of how she often jogged to it and knew all the words. Shelton chose "I Won't Back Down" for their duet because he remembered Petty is her favorite.

Aaah okay. I remembered Blake chose something. Laughing
ks1990
Lost at Forum

Plus, for all we know, Dia might not even know who Sherri is, much less heard her version of the song.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

They were on Warner Brothers, via at Sire, at one point, and I came to know their names from them Sloshing it out on tours with Emo and pop punk bands on the regular (often wondering if they were just another band with an ironic name or really two women named Meg and Dia). So it's fair to say they were label mates, and apparently got slightly similar treatment as Eisley.

At some point I remember noticing somewhere they were Eisley fans/ aware of Eisley, maybe it was facebook, maybe it was myspace, I forget... but anyways, let the wiki speak

wikipedia.com wrote:
Dia was the runner-up on the first season of The Voice on NBC, selected by coach Blake Shelton who said "when I heard your voice, I started to smile." Dia advanced through the show's quarter-finals and semi-finales after renditions of "Heartless" and "Losing My Religion". In the season finale, she sang "Inventing Shadows", an original song written by Fraser T. Smith. Notably, the aforementioned singles were the highest charting iTunes digital songs by any contestant on The Voice during its respective voting eligibility period, with "Inventing Shadows" topping the charts at #1. Following the season finale on June 29, 2011, "Inventing Shadows" debuted at No. 20 on the Billboard Hot 100 with 137,000 downloads sold. As of July 7, 2011 Dia's The Voice digital releases have sold 480,000 downloads.[25] She also writes children stories and novels.

So she's done well in that regard. You can consider that the equivalent of selling 48K albums (dl's are a buck, average new album should be 9.99).

Unless she acknowledges Sherri's cover we can speculate all we want and we won't know. So, if she says it was her original idea, sans hearing Sherri's cover, or of it, fine. I don't know that she's made any statement, our if our protestations have even made a ripple in the ocean? Until then, we don't know, and it's just a matter of personal opinion. I put mine out there, take it or leave it.

Now if an Eisley member could get on the voice, that would be interesting.

Last edited by wilsmith on Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:53 am; edited 1 time in total
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Does Dia have Twitter?
What if we just ask her?

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

For all we know Dia has an LC account. Think about it.

The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

Also, how do we know that sherri was referencing dia for sure. Think about it.

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>