Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>
ks1990
Lost at Forum

I literally can't stop listening to "Laugh it Off".
kristinebazan
Sea Post King

ks1990 wrote:

same here. i've prbly listened to it 25 times since yesterday. it's my fave off this ep. for now. Razz
mermaidentwinedshrubbery
Sea Post King

ks1990 wrote:

I'm with you. It's my favorite as well.
Joined: 10 Jun 2005 | Posts: 192 | Location: Castle Rock, CO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

Hmm. I like them all for different reasons. I like "Lights Out" much more than I thought I would. "Laugh It Off" is weird to me, because I love certain parts of it and the other parts are still growing on me. "Deep Space" has taken my favorite spot out of the ones I hadn't heard yet. The guitar in it is so sick. "192 Days" is still one of my favorite songs by them. "One Last Song" is familiar Eisley but the twist at the end is killer.

I like the EP because it's so different. I feel like it's set apart from their other stuff enough to keep you intrigued. That's my take, anyway.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
Unregistered
Laughing Citizen

The drums in Deep Space is is is is is is sisissisisis9sisik k so addicting! Very Happy

The_Paronomasial_Mattoid wrote:

I like the EP because it's so different. I feel like it's set apart from their other stuff enough to keep you intrigued. That's my take, anyway.

Me too! Very Happy

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Valentine's Day makes sense now, cause tonally, Laugh If Off, Deep Space, and One Last Song sound like perfect music for a hip romantic dinner date in the city, if you ask me at least.

Light's Out is driving music thanks to the chorus, but even the verses and bridge have a certain urbane sophistication that feels adult and elegant without trying. Just natural beauty and effortless grace on display. But it's got that killer propulsive hook. If Stacy's vocals were replaced by a guy screaming the At The Drive-In comparison would make more sense, but I would go so far as to say Sparta instead, particularly a mellowed out Cut Your Ribbons maybe?

192 Days, with quiet end to Deep Space, and spare beginning to One Last Song it sort of fits in. It reminds me of this as far as it's style and purpose on this EP. I almost wish they'd have drowned the track in some spacey reverb and echo to give it a bit more of the other-worldly feel the rest of the ep gets from the instrumentation.

All I can say about this EP is it sounds SO GROWN-UP in all the right ways. For each type of song they went for, they sound fully thought out, mature, and lived-in. The production feels very natural and organic/ raw without losing any of its urgency/ energy. It really sounds like the band from EP1 & 2, Laughing City & Marvelous Things after 8 years off, coming back for another go around.

Also, the vibe and production remind me of Sun Feet, Head Against the Sky, and Mr. Pine (the verse part) aka nearly Trip Hop Eisley.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

Unregistered wrote:
The drums in Deep Space is is is is is is sisissisisis9sisik k so addicting! Very Happy

The_Paronomasial_Mattoid wrote:

Me too! Very Happy

I think Deep Space is one of their strongest harder songs to date. It changes up quite a bit and the transitions are so smooth in it. Also, yeah, the drums are so good, but I'm loving that guitar solo in the bridge. Not something I would have ever expected from them but it fits the song so well.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
oathmeal
Sea Post King

I'd go as far as saying Deep Space is my favorite song that Eisley has released.
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

wilsmith wrote:

All I can say about this EP is it sounds SO GROWN-UP in all the right ways. For each type of song they went for, they sound fully thought out, mature, and lived-in. The production feels very natural and organic/ raw without losing any of its urgency/ energy. It really sounds like the band from EP1 & 2, Laughing City & Marvelous Things after 8 years off, coming back for another go around.

Also, the vibe and production remind me of Sun Feet, Head Against the Sky, and Mr. Pine (the verse part) aka nearly Trip Hop Eisley.

my thoughts exactly. i don't think it's nearly as glossy as any of their full length albums, but more rock based mosseisley

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

question, did anyone catch the old MossEisley logo peeking on the edge of the left side of the cover? i just noticed it.

-edit-

it's on the tour poster too

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
olimario
Laughing Citizen

If this sound is "grown up" then I want to be a kid forever.
It's so muffled and unmelodious. Lyrics feel rushed out of their mouths and their beautiful voices and harmonies aren't given a stage.

What I do like in the first 3 songs is the push to break structure. A lot of bands will never try it and I'm glad Eisley is experimenting. I think they need to draw more on classic Art Rock like Queen and ELP and less on whatever grungy, droning nonsense inspired this album.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

You can't please everybody Confused But Eisley have sure pleased me Mr. Green

Let it go, you've got Sucre to look forward to in 2 months. I can't believe you don't care for Laugh It Off though... Is it the songs or the tone/ production quality that's irking you so much?

These songs are like Eisley Wine.

The Man In The Moon wrote:
question, did anyone catch the old MossEisley logo peeking on the edge of the left side of the cover? i just noticed it.

-edit-

it's on the tour poster too

Good eyes! Didn't even catch it poking it's head around from behind Laughing Way to represent!

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
juan_diego
Sea Post King

ks1990 wrote:

I'm having a hard time with the lyrics in the chorus and 2nd verse. Anyone figure them out?

Kayci
Golly, Poster

Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I love it, and agree with whoever said that it'll age well.
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

I'm not going to listen before I get my own copy because it won't count in my iTunes or Last.fm stats. Yes I really just said that. Surprised Wink

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>