Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>
princesstripandfall
Lost at Forum

Slightly belated Austin show rambles:

The Mohawk was a tiny, tiny venue. Lots of character (swashbuckler portraits on the walls, a stuffed bear...) and a low stage. I liked it but not my favorite.
I had planned on coming with my best friend, another friend, and her sister, but they all backed out day-of so I ended up with my mother. Not my ideal situation, but it was fine, I guess, because she's a Sucre stan.
The first opener, Emily Wolfe, was absolutely charming and quite talented. She told a few really bad jokes and was obviously nervous but her music is great and she looks like Natalie Portman's knockaround sister. The guys in the audience approved. Wink
The Tontons would have been okay if the vocals were audible at all. They got super amp happy and their set was a little long.

Stacy, Darren, and Jeremy were astounding. If Stacy blows you away in Eisley context, just wait. I really hope they do a more extensive tour because, seriously, everyone deserves to see them live. Not only were they very tight technically, but seemed to be having a total blast. The sound was excellently balanced and whatever, too. I took my video camera, but filming would have been awkward and i don't think all of Darren's laptop, keyboard and drum tricks would have translated well recorded (I was like 2 feet from him, maybe?)
They played every song on the record, and arranged it in a way that Chemical Reaction came after Hiding Out, Stampede came after The Cliff Waltz, Persuasion was in the middle, and Say Something closed it out. I think that kept everyone really alert and...expectant?
Afterwards I went to get a shirt or something but Elsie said they sold out on the first night (should have ordered more, that sucks. maybe they'll be online?)
Didn't stick around to say hi because it's finals week and their set ended around 1am but talked with the boys beforehand and they seemed really, really happy with the whole thing. Yay!

BrooklynVegan has some pictures up on their website, like this one:
juan_diego
Sea Post King

Buzznet videos!

A Minor Bird Stories- http://youtu.be/pMqu71NZmCM

Persuasion- http://youtu.be/lE17QIWuw0Y

mr pine
Vintage Newbie

if you go the a minor bird page on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/A-Minor-Bird-Sucr%C3%A9/dp/B007WVKPJQ/ref=sr_1_4  ?ie=UTF8&qid=1335503918&sr=8-4

it states that you actually are getting a cdr of the music.

is that strange to anyone else?

the ones bought from the store, are they cdrs?

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

Anybody know a good plumber? The Minor Bird whine thread seems to have started leaking again.

---
edit-
re. the question, got mine at the show. can't tell whether it's a cdr or not. Not sure why I should care.
Last edited by inorbit on Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:50 am; edited 5 times in total
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Laughing

it's a cd with a printed/ painted label like your standard issue stuff.

Amazon CD & DVD on demand is a service they provide. They have stuff in their catalog that some companies would rather have Amazon manufacture at will of the consumer rather than be saddled with inventory.

When I ordered my DVD of MTV's The MAXX is came in the standard DVD Box with graphics and insert, and a printed dvd.

I don't know if they scale down on perks per the client, but it should be no different as far as I've understood. how Amazon does things.

Here's what it says when you click that "Learn More" link next to the CD-R note that backs up my experience:
amazon.com wrote:

What are CD-R and DVD-R media?
CD-Rs and DVD-Rs (the "R" stands for "recordable") look like the discs you're used to and offer the same audio and image quality. This recordable media is used to manufacture titles on demand, as fully authorized by the content provider.

Through manufacturing on demand, CreateSpace, part of the Amazon.com group of companies, enables Amazon.com to offer music and video content that might not otherwise be available. Each disc comes fully packaged, with artwork, in a standard jewel case for audio and an Amaray case for video, although for reissued products the artwork may differ from the original.

CreateSpace works with many of the leading music labels, television networks, film studios, and other distributors to make these titles available to Amazon.com customers. All products are manufactured from original source materials (e.g., for audio products, uncompressed CD-quality audio).

By eliminating inventory, waste, and inefficiencies in the distribution system, on-demand manufacturing provides the added benefit of helping preserve the environment.

When shopping, you'll see CD-R or DVD-R on the product detail page for such products. Amazon.com's standard return policy applies to these purchases.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

yeah calm down mr. pine. it's ok now. inorbit and wilsmith got their cd so it's all good.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

ha. it's fine.

i am used to ignoring in orbit.
so no biggie.

besides that fact, i wasn't complaining. i was just wondering if anyone had seen that before and if the cd from the store was cdr or not.

because, if one was to ask me where to get it, i would said the offical store so they got the cd instead of the cdr.

but yeah

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Outside of reissues where they can"t secure the full original liner notes it will be the same sans the danny roberts 5" print of Stacr in the crown.

The only change might be the bar code sequence is all.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

juan_diego wrote:
Buzznet videos!

A Minor Bird Stories- http://youtu.be/pMqu71NZmCM

Persuasion- http://youtu.be/lE17QIWuw0Y

3 B's and one is Booty.
Laughing

Interesting story how Endless Sleep was a several years old Jeremy piano piece that Darren liked.

mr pine
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
Outside of reissues where they can"t secure the full original liner notes it will be the same sans the danny roberts 5" print of Stacr in the crown.

i wasn't concerned about the content.
more of that fact that a cd "should" last longer than a cdr.
and, right now, outside of shipping, the cd is cheaper on the official page.

wilsmith wrote:

The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

saw the nashville show, and got to speak to jeremy afterwards. all i can say is that the show was unreal.

hiding out
chemical reaction
troubled waters
light out
the cliff waltz
stampede
endless sleep
no return
persuasion
when we were young
say something

i'm 95% certain this was the set list

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

mr pine wrote:
wilsmith wrote:

i wasn't concerned about the content.
more of that fact that a cd "should" last longer than a cdr.
and, right now, outside of shipping, the cd is cheaper on the official page.

Gotcha. I never think about the shelf life of burned cds, mainly because they tech hasn't been in the consumer market widespread long enough to test that 10 year shelf-life prior to degradation. CD-Rs have been around, but not every computer had a CD-R for a while, and then they kept upping the read and write speeds. Is of now I have one disc from nearly 10 years ago of burned music and it still plays on all my players.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if most cds we are buying are CD-Rs and they just aren't telling us? I'm not really trusting of the industy.

vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

pzy wrote:
tahruh wrote:
^The server probably banned you. It's happened to the best of us!

But I wish they would look into it -- kind of ridiculous you can't post more than 3 links at a time, or certain links the censorbot determines to be unfit, when there's actually nothing wrong with them, and then potentially get blocked for x amount of time.

Wait... that actually happens? Do you get any sort of error that you're temp-banned or anything?

That ain't right. Time to complain at good ol' Kingspin Very Happy

Yes! I'm only able to be on right now because I'm using my campus internet. I can't access the forum at all from home. It just tells me the site is down, basically.

Vintage Newbie

vivalaspopie wrote:
pzy wrote:
tahruh wrote:

But I wish they would look into it -- kind of ridiculous you can't post more than 3 links at a time, or certain links the censorbot determines to be unfit, when there's actually nothing wrong with them, and then potentially get blocked for x amount of time.

Wait... that actually happens? Do you get any sort of error that you're temp-banned or anything?

Yes! I'm only able to be on right now because I'm using my campus internet. I can't access the forum at all from home. It just tells me the site is down, basically.
It almost happened to me again last night, so nothing's changed it seems. Confused
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

vivalaspopie wrote:
pzy wrote:
tahruh wrote:

VLP-
I don't know who your provider is, but I think it blocks your specific ip address. If you can get a new one, you can get back on. I have ATT DSL, and the last time it happened to me, I just disconnected, reset my router to clear it, and reconnected. It gave me a new ip address and I could get back on immediately. I don't know though... if you were getting on from behind your campus firewall you might have taken LC out for your whole school!

But yeah, the server does seem to be set up a bit overzealously on that front, imo.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>