Laughing City
Jared x
Lost at Forum

Neil Gaiman tweeted about the band and their kickstarter. Seeing as how donations seem to have started to slow just shy of $15k, I wonder if that will help any.
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

boone wrote:
"Surf's Up" is my favorite Beach Boys song. It's incredible. And, like the best Brian Wilson songs, it was written in like 10 minutes.

Really - do you just mean the chord changes/melody?
I would think Van Dyke Parks lyrics took more time, unless he already had them prior to the session.

Yeah a lot of the stuff on Smile / Smiley Smile would be weird/trippy.

If they did the Cantina version of Heroes & Villains who would say,

"You're under arrest!"

marshkingsdaughter
Golly, Poster

The_Paronomasial_Mattoid wrote:
I would actually like to hear their take on an 80's song. That could be fun. I wish I had the money. Maybe the LC should just raise the money together, all settle on a song and then have one person put in the pledge. That would be sweet. We could all just transfer the money to an account specifically set up for it... Ehhh?

I'd really love to see them do something by New Order or The Cure, and would be willing to contribute to the group pot. But I doubt we'd be able to agree on anything.

http://inconnumag.com
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

Jared x wrote:
Neil Gaiman tweeted about the band and their kickstarter. Seeing as how donations seem to have started to slow just shy of $15k, I wonder if that will help any.

perhaps, but this is only day 3 and only roughly 350 people have donated. i figure at least a few thousand donating.

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

The Man In The Moon wrote:
wilsmith wrote:

Demos wise, if they were gonna release rehearsal recordings or full band demos of all those songs most can only find Live versions of like Silver Bugs, Lady of the Wood, Cobalt, Queen of Leaves etc is more exciting to me then album track demos cause i have never really been one for having to juggle versions, with tthe exception being. Ryan Adams. His alternate versions on Follow the Lights are stellar.

Doubt it'll be album track demos. Let's not forget, WB probably owns them.

The way it sounded, and per what I think I got out of an exchange with Boyd during the change to EV, they own the rights, but not the masters, which WB own, and I assume any recording sessions WB financed.

@marshkingsdaughter & paranomasial_mattoid:

A group collection is a great tactic, but I think the issue of song selection given the pricing sets the stage for getting a budget through Congress.

Gaiman piping up is a nice touch. He's also Mr. Amanda Palmer, so maybe she might consider opening up her warchest on their behalf? I'm sure they'll contribute beyond a written endorsement Razz

Curt Smith pumping up Eisley was a pleasant surprise. Seeing as Tears For Fears defined the most troubling part of my grade school years and gave me a cathartic refuge, it was nice to see he was a fan, and a vocal one in this regard.

Truth be told, if Eisley were to get a % of each fans wealth, let's say .5% of each fans relative income it would only take 20 millionaire fans to get them to their goal.

What is really needed, and reasonable, is for 20,000 fans to give $5 each. It's fair to say Eisley should have 20k paying fans .

In my business mind I would just promote the heck out of the EP and pull a United Way type graphic up on all their sites that tallied the # of fans to pledge towards the EP.

I think that would have nullified the backlash preemptively.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
gRegor
the gEek

Guys, guys. They should obviously cover "Thrift Shop."

Weston's got the Wanz part, obviously.

The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

they should do a limited cover album tier, but i doubt they'd have enough time to do that.

mandy
Sea Post King

I keep being obsessive about how it is doing and getting anxiety problems when I see it hasn't gone up much. I need to stop. Laughing

As far as covers I thought the bohemian rhapsody idea was great. And just the idea that somebody would pay them 1,000 bucks to do gangnam style is hilarious.

MacRVA
Sea Post King

mandy wrote:
I keep being obsessive about how it is doing and getting anxiety problems when I see it hasn't gone up much. I need to stop.

Me too!!
MacRVA
Sea Post King

mandy wrote:
I keep being obsessive about how it is doing and getting anxiety problems when I see it hasn't gone up much. I need to stop.

Me too!!
Jared x
Lost at Forum

I'm keeping a randomly timed history of the pledges in the original post. Starting tomorrow I think I may just do one per day, tracking where it's at around 11pm each night.
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

marshkingsdaughter wrote:
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid wrote:
I would actually like to hear their take on an 80's song. That could be fun. I wish I had the money. Maybe the LC should just raise the money together, all settle on a song and then have one person put in the pledge. That would be sweet. We could all just transfer the money to an account specifically set up for it... Ehhh?

I'd really love to see them do something by New Order or The Cure, and would be willing to contribute to the group pot. But I doubt we'd be able to agree on anything.
Feelings aside, and as much as I adore Stacy's voice, I really can't imagine enjoying them covering NO all that much; Barney's slightly tone-deaf, thick Manc accented vocals are such a huge part of what does it for me (which is saying a lot, given his guitar work, Peter's bass and Stephen's drumming). I thought Iron and Wine's cover of Love Vigilantes was dreadful, even though I'm quite fond of Sam.

I kind of feel the same about The Cure, but Dinosaur Jr.

And this when I was in 8th grade...

Disintegration? A Chain of Flowers? (Imagine the Rhodes in the beginning... And Stacy's vocals...Umm...) ...One Hundred Years? Razz

Last edited by tahruh on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

great gig in the sky - pink floyd

lullaby - the cure

anything by bjork. earth intruders, all is full of love, and anything off vespertine and medulla would be interesting.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

The Man In The Moon wrote:
medulla would be interesting.

If I were Equal Vision I would pay them to cover this entire album. It is the one Bjork album that strikes me as more art than enjoyable music. I can honestly say I don't like it, an had I not been so loyal and spoiled by her uptick of great album after great album, would have forgone buying it.

Eisley could fix it, and that would be a beautiful thing.

Oh, did I already say Portishead - Wandering Star (Chauntelle would probably be best suited to singing this one) or Biscuit (Stacy singing this one)

Or some Enigk, which I know they already dig as well Cannons with Sherri on lead vocals.

Or How It Feels To Be Something On which would be outstanding with dual lead vocals, and I'm pretty sure this was an early template for EP era Eisley.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Smar
Sea Post King

I'd dish out the $500 just so they can play a non-acoustic version of Plenty of Paper

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>