Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

The Man In The Moon wrote:
tahruh wrote:
olimario wrote:
I think Eisley is historically terrible at picking which songs to promote.
Last go round I think "Watch it Die" could have had HUGE mainstream success, and it got shunned for their darker and weirder music.
I think the problem with the choice this time around is that it might isolate them from being reviewed by credible blogs, which is unfortunate, because most of these songs (and not just the Stacy songs for once) sound like they are going to be beyond worthy.

i know i'm in the minority when i say this, but watch it die was my least favorite stacy song off the valley. i didn't get all the fuss about it. also, currents and drink the water aren't credible?
Currents is the only single, and no, it turned out to not be very good, imo.
olimario
Laughing Citizen

I don't think your average listener is going to enjoy Currents or Drink the Water. They are too messy and "artistic" to be catchy or radio friendly.
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

tahruh wrote:

the way that drink the water was premiered and released with the preorder pretty much makes it as good as a single despite whether or not it's "official." i think currents turned out awesome with the way it progresses and flows. i also didn't realize eisley had made an album that was suppose to appeal to the average music listener or be promoted on the radio. i don't view it as messy, but intricate and interesting.

imo i don't think you're gonna like much of the album if you don't like currents. from the previews it seems that most of the album is going to follow those kinds of drum patterns.

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
ks1990
Lost at Forum

olimario wrote:
I don't think your average listener is going to enjoy Currents or Drink the Water. They are too messy and "artistic" to be catchy or radio friendly.

It doesn't sound like they're going for the mainstream radio listener demographic, though.
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

ks1990 wrote:
olimario wrote:

It doesn't sound like they're going for the mainstream radio listener demographic, though.

going after that market never worked out for them in the past, when they did so at Warner's behest, resulting in them giving up the appeal that had garnered them buzz band status and a cult following to begin with, it cost them.
olimario
Laughing Citizen

No, you're all being naive I think.

You can keep your artistic integrity intact and still promote yourself to new listeners just by selecting the right song and making the right video for it.

I have never felt that their singles were the right choice and it seems that history has vindicated me.
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

olimario wrote:
No, you're all being naive I think.

You can keep your artistic integrity intact and still promote yourself to new listeners just by selecting the right song and making the right video for it.

I have never felt that their singles were the right choice and it seems that history has vindicated me.

For you maybe, but I know a fair amount of casual music listeners that have loved their singles.

tahruh
Vintage Newbie

tahruh wrote:

the way that drink the water was premiered and released with the preorder pretty much makes it as good as a single despite whether or not it's "official." i think currents turned out awesome with the way it progresses and flows. i also didn't realize eisley had made an album that was suppose to appeal to the average music listener or be promoted on the radio. i don't view it as messy, but intricate and interesting.

imo i don't think you're gonna like much of the album if you don't like currents. from the previews it seems that most of the album is going to follow those kinds of drum patterns.
Uh, the entire purpose of my comment (as well as olimario's, though many of our more specific opinions diverge) was that the other material is favorable, or at least some of it. That one song that's reminiscent of Sad sounds like a throwaway, but the rest sounds like varying degrees of golden, as I said, oh, I don't know, a handful of posts ago? Wink My issue with Currents is the terribly generic chorus mainly, though as I said before, I think it overall tries too hard to be a single (and ironically enough I think EVR is to blame). Drink the Water would have been the better choice IMO, but as someone said earlier, half the album sounds like it's going to be much more interesting, which is saying a lot because that one instantly skyrocketed to the top as far as Eisley songs go for me. So yeah, all kinds of holes in that logic.
Last edited by tahruh on Mon May 06, 2013 5:41 am; edited 1 time in total
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Also, I said nothing in favor of radio promotion- just the opposite, given generic radio rubbish isn't usually associated with "cred."
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

tahruh wrote:
So yeah, all kinds of holes in that logic.

what are you talking about?

anywho, i don't view the chorus to be generic honestly.

and i guess i should've quoted oli, but that radio promotion thing was directed to his comment.

tahruh
Vintage Newbie

This nonsensical statement:

The Man in the Moon wrote:

The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

tahruh wrote:

This nonsensical statement:

The Man in the Moon wrote:

oh that was directed towards oli

vintage_snowflake
Golly, Poster

anyone else recognize lost enemies? I doooooo
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

roaw hiss claw claw...

whatever...

I played Currents and Drink the Water for my friend/ drummer who's known I like Eisley for years but never really bit on given them a listen, and within a minute he was grooving to the beat.

If anything, I wills say this is the first Eisley album that sounds like it's made by musicians just enjoying making music, and that kind of music tends to be a little more cerebral at times, and definitely appeals to other musicians, and people who really dig deeply into the creative expansion of music. It's not ground breaking or genre smashing, it's interesting, and to me that's what the best music should always be.

I think this is a point at which the band should be aiming for a slow and steady climb in terms of building a dedicated fanbase that will stick with them for perpetuity and it looks like the plan is to do that by hitting the road hard. This would make going completely indie feasible in the future, which would allow them to generate much more revenue without having to grow the audience much.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
drinkthewater
Sea Post King

Save my Soul's preview doesn't do anything for me.

I like the rest of the previews, especially Millstone, Shelter and Real World.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>