Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

I deleted all Cookies with Pandora in them and it still won't let me stream. Must be one without their name in it. Oh well, I will try to buy a CD this week anyway.

All Music Guide 3.5/5
http://www.allmusic.com/album/currents-mw0002527864

The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

bigideas wrote:

well written, as usual, i think, but i expected a little higher than 3.5. however, out of 10 that's 7/10 so that's cool too.

edit

here's sputnik, but again, i put them up with the APs on how they're not that credible

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/57006/Eisley-Currents/

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

I've only had one listen so far. I thought this was going to be the Eisley record I've waited for all these years, but... I am kind of feeling the same as I always have. Loving half of the record; not caring for the other half (split along the line of who wrote/sang it.) I have to admit, though, that it's more cohesive than previous efforts, in terms of melding Stacy & Sherri's songs in a thematic and instrumental sense.

But Sherri's vocals have only grown more grating to me over time, especially with the strengthening of the Say Anything influence. I don't totally hate all of her songs, but Blue Fish and Save My Soul... I had trouble not hitting the skip button.

As far as Stacy goes, I really enjoyed her stuff, as usual. However, now having heard Sucre, well... I just prefer that stuff now. Also, I never listened to The Baby, out of respect~ or whatever. Not really sure why everyone was so hyped about Aristicats/Lost Enemies; one of Stacy's weakest efforts, in my opinion.

MILLSTONE, THO. Loved it. But it felt totally out of place in the middle of this album, to me. The production didn't seem to fit with anything else that was going on. To me, it was just like a little hidden treat to remind me of what's coming from Chauntelle.

We'll see how I feel after listen #2.

Vintage Newbie

No fairs. My copy hasn't come yet. No email notice either.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

vivalaspopie wrote:
1.) I have to admit, though, that it's more cohesive than previous efforts, in terms of melding Stacy & Sherri's songs in a thematic and instrumental sense.

2.) I don't totally hate all of her songs, but Blue Fish and Save My Soul... I had trouble not hitting the skip button.

3.) As far as Stacy goes, I really enjoyed her stuff, as usual. However, now having heard Sucre, well... I just prefer that stuff now.

4.) Also, I never listened to The Baby, out of respect~ or whatever.

5.) MILLSTONE, THO. Loved it. But it felt totally out of place in the middle of this album, to me. The production didn't seem to fit with anything else that was going on. To me, it was just like a little hidden treat to remind me of what's coming from Chauntelle.

We'll see how I feel after listen #2.

1. agree whole heartedly

2. totally disagree on Blue Fish. Like others have said, to my ears it's one of her best vocal performances ever. I can see why Save My Soul would be off-putting. It's reminiscent of another acquired taste only me and bigideas seem to show a lot of love towards around here.

3. IDK, I like Sucre, but the bottom end, and overall lack of rhythm guitar and prominent bass outside of strings made it feel lacking to me. Since its recording I've loved her songs with Eisley and her contributions to Sherri's when they are prominent. I love her voice, but I REALLY love her as a musician. Her taste is impeccable, and in Sucre I would love to see her compositions, as played by her. I sort of got the feeling she was singing to Jeremy and Darren's music, which is great, and liberating, but all parties involved embraced the name, and kept the edge out of the sweetness. Her Eisley material has that edge, or tartness I would expect from Red Velvet since that's the label, but maybe that's a reference to the fabric and it's smoothness and sophistication rather than the Cake that has seen an uptick in popularity?

4. Ditto. I'm surprised you hadn't though. I thought you were some sort of insider?

5. I'm going to disagree, but only because I have a feeling that this is the next to last song on the Vinyl A side, and in that place it works as a good transition in mood and pacing between Save My Soul and Real World, which if put back to back would be a pretty stark transition. Wicked Child sounds very much like a B-Side starter to me. Actually all the B-Side songs sound like B-Side songs, which for me was always the side of the album with a little more experimentation and also more of the "night-time" songs, and a strong finish that made you want to start over. They did this very well in my opinion.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

wilsmith wrote:

2. totally disagree on Blue Fish. Like others have said, to my ears it's one of her best vocal performances ever. I can see why Save My Soul would be off-putting. It's reminiscent of another acquired taste only me and bigideas seem to show a lot of love towards around here.

for the record i LOVe stuff like Save My Soul. i'm thinking it actually might be my favorite sherri song off the album, but it's hard to choose.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

The Man In The Moon wrote:
bigideas wrote:

well written, as usual, i think, but i expected a little higher than 3.5. however, out of 10 that's 7/10 so that's cool too.

edit

here's sputnik, but again, i put them up with the APs on how they're not that credible

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/57006/Eisley-Currents/

That Sputnik review was by a User, so it's like you or I signing up and writing a review from what I understand. If someone associated with the site reviews it, I think it will say Staff or something.

Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

Reading some of the media reviews, it seems to me the varied styles of the Eisley albums (and maybe personal tastes) confuse people.

It was mentioned in one review that this album isn't as "tight" as their previous ones and some songs are long...but a common complaint by some fans with their previous album songs was that they were trying too hard to make 3-minute-only-radio pop songs.

This isn't the album that, say, Combinations was...and if the listener prefers tight pop tracks, then it may seem like a step back. If another listener enjoys art-rock and jam-rock/shoe gazer bands, this album would be a step forward (the positive reviews mention Beach House, the Mars Volta and other bands that some love, and others think drone on).

I mean, you will find this range of opinions with any and all albums, but it is just interesting that it's getting anywhere from a 5 out of 5, to a 2 out of 5 in ratings.

(Though, the only comment I can't reason is: how this album with all of the words isn't saying anything. Even compared with previous albums where lyrics were either made-up stories or detailed personal accounts, these seem to be lyrics that actually have deeper meanings that can apply to many people.)
MacRVA
Sea Post King

I didn't wanna post a review until I'd had more listens to really get to know the songs individually but I'm feeling left out by not saying something.

My early thoughts. While I love this album, I would say it's my least favourite of the LPs, The Valley being my favourite.

I think the first half of the album is amazing. Currents is definitely my favourite track. I also can't believe how good Millstone is, Chauntelle is amazing. I'm not a huge fan of the third quarter or so of the album, putting three really slow, sleepy, reverie-inducing tracks back to back was a recipe for me dozing off the first time I listened to the album straight through. Not that they're bad songs, just a little too slow and too many of them together for me to stay focused. Shelter though is a great way to close the record.

The more I listen to it though, the more I like it. I do kind of wish it was a little heavier and louder like The Valley was. I think I like Eisley when they're a little more upbeat and rhythmic.

However it's still a great album and I can't wait to hear these songs on this tour, especially Blue Fish, I feel like that "We all fall down" lyric is gonna be so intense live.
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

MacRVA wrote:

The more I listen to it though, the more I like it. I do kind of wish it was a little heavier and louder like The Valley was. I think I like Eisley when they're a little more upbeat and rhythmic.

However it's still a great album and I can't wait to hear these songs on this tour, especially Blue Fish, I feel like that "We all fall down" lyric is gonna be so intense live.

same, but my problem with the valley is that it's too situational for me to listen to it too regularly. plus i've never been in a relationship before either, so...

however, i do enjoy the heavy guitars and i just realized while driving around listening that i bet blue fish, save my soul, and currents are all gonna be way more intense and awesome live.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I don't know why, but I'm pleased with all the thoughtful reactions to this record on the board, positive and negative.

Re: Millstone

Chauntelle's vocal and the lyrics make that song above all else, for me. The only thing that gives me a little pause is that the vocal melody of the first part of the chorus sounds a little like the vocal melody of the chorus of Marcy Playground's Sex and Candy. I can't help but think of that every time I hear it. Millstone is a far superior song than Marcy Playground's as far as I'm concerned.

It's also kind of fun to listen to Millstone and consider than before Merriment, Chauntelle was a member of the O.G. Christie Dupree band...

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

After heavy repeat, I have to say, this album is grown on me substantially. At first, I wasn't sure how much I'd like it, I won't lie. There are certain songs that really had to grow on me, but once you are in the right context, aka, good speakers, and can hear the complexity and layers, it really started to click with me. I was not a fan of most of the Sherri songs until the layers started to unfold. Blue Fish has frown the most on me, I thoroughly enjoy it now.

Save My Soul is still a toss up for me. I like certain parts of the song but not as a whole. The bridge is one of my favorite parts on the entire album. I am not a fan of the transition from the bridge to the chorus. It's so stinking awkward. It's not horrible, there's just no flow and it's really abrupt and loud. I feel like they could have eased back into it and made it more fluid.

I don't understand the negativity with Real World. It's one of my favorite tracks on the album, for sure. The vocals are done flawlessly and there's some great emotive vocal parts. I'm so impressed where Stacy has come, vocally. I fall more on the Stacy side than I do on the Sherri side nowadays and I think that is due to a certain influence leaking into her writing. I don't mind it, it's just not my favorite on their albums.

I prefer the beat to Wicked Child in the live video over the studio version. I can't handle that drumbeat cause it's so dang repetitive and kind of annoying to me. I love the ukulele in it and the second verse is fantastic, due to that wicked string part Jeremy did. I wish Christie would have belted out the bridge more. I feel like that really could have built it up more. All in all, it's one of my least favorite tracks on the album because the chorus
is a little grating to me.

Find Me Here is so garsh darn pretty. The only part I don't love is the bridge. I like the last part of the bridge where it builds, but not the first part.

I love most parts of Wonder English. I don't love the first verse, but from the first chorus on, it really engages me. The harmony on the bridge is superb. The second chorus is also very appealing to me. The guitar solo is very Kashmir/The Smiths/NMH to me. So good.

I was not excited for The Night Comes cause I didn't think it was anything special from the preview. I love that I was proved wrong because I actually really enjoy this song. The strings really add to it but I also love the breakdown/bridge.

As I thought, Shelter is my favorite. I love everything about it. It reeks of Jeremy's strings and I love it. This song makes me swoon so stinking much.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/music/2013/05/26/review-eisley-current s/gWzOcJ2Ycd0gwjWrrmcC7K/story.html

boston globe review.

edit-

another one

http://bandaidrecords.com/2013/05/27/album-review-eisley-currents/

it's interesting how different and dynamic all the reviews are, there's not a singular track that anyone seems to be able to really agree on.

edit 2-

one last thought for now, they should've recorded the mainframe instead of wonder english =P

drinkthewater
Sea Post King

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

The Man In The Moon wrote:
http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/music/2013/05/26/review-eisley- currents/gWzOcJ2Ycd0gwjWrrmcC7K/story.html

boston globe review.

when he posted the tweet linking to the review, I could tell he was pained \

@spacecitymarc wrote:
"Hey, Marc, how's the new Eisley album?" "Sigh."

It's obvious he is a fan of Eisley the upbeat rock band, and so am I, and this definitely a more low key, cerebral affair, which is funny cause the "rock" songs on this album are a far cry from previous ones, but still manage to put off the fans not into Eisley rocking out.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>