Laughing City
olimario
Laughing Citizen

For me it comes from a place of loving all of their work up until The Valley.
Having Eisley (or Dupree family) stuff that I don't like is relatively new for me and I want to discuss it.

But you haven't been following my posts very closely if you've missed my glowing review of Merriment and Sucre.
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

olimario wrote:

But you haven't been following my posts very closely if you've missed my glowing review of Merriment and Sucre.

i've noticed it, and it gets lost in all the negative stuff. i guess it's just more difficult interpreting what people are saying over the internet, but as i've said it just seems you have the attitude that says, "i can't believe i actually like that." also, i don't like sucre or merriment as much. neither are bad, there's stuff about them i like, but there's stuff about them i just can't get into. i also didn't feel like going around shooting everyone down when they were gushing over When We Were Young.

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
keithabbott
Sea Post King

I just got Rising Fawn EP and finished my first listen. It's a lot different from what I expected. I was expecting upbeat and poppy, instead it's more moody with an emphasis on instrumental arrangements with a few flashes of pop.

Honestly, I'm more hardwired towards tracks like Millstone and Everlasting Songs than the first two tracks. My only reservation about the title track Everlasting Songs is that Chauntelle and Todd combined what sounds like two completely different songs together to make one song that could be easily separated for that 4th track. I'd be fine with ending it at 2:28. Once you get to 2:29 it's something entirely different. I know what they were going for, but I haven't listened to music like that since the 70's.

I dunno really. I'm happy to hear Chauntelle sing, and she does a wonderful job here, but I feel like her voice is sometimes upstaged by the arrangements simply because most of her vocal melodies get lost in the music.

ks1990
Lost at Forum

olimario wrote:
Not very good. Doesn't help that it sounds like it was recorded with a PC microphone and mixed in some Freeware.

But it was clear all along that this was more of a DIY EP/passion project. Not to mention it's being released on an imprint of an indie label. It's like, were you expecting Max Martin level production value?

I could be wrong, but it sounds like you have false expectations of Eisley's recent material and any side projects that you happen to dislike. From what I've gathered, you seem to be more receptive to more radio-friendly pop music, and Eisley have made it clear from Deep Space onwards, that they're not interested in that at this juncture. It seems futile, then, to complain about something that shouldn't be expected in the first place.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I listened to Rising Fawn - Everlasting Songs, on my stereo (not a computer or ear buds) but a legit hi-fi component system with full range 3 way speakers with 12 inch woofers and it sounded great, not low-fi at all. It's more folk-rock than anything, emphasizing the folk more than the rock mostly, and it sounds professional to my ears, and used to run live sound for a living. Given their live sound engineer assisted in the recording and mixing of the record, I would expect it to have a more traditional sound, mix-wise.

Not sure what everyone else listened to their music on, but if you don't have a legit stereo (by choice), I suggest revisiting that choice, and ditching headphones/ earbuds & listening through a computer or mobile device, or shelf system or boombox, and instead opting for a straight up component system. I've found the listening experience using a 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound system sounds odd as well. The use of the Center Channel or small satellite speakers and a sub-woofer really exaggerates the sonic frequencies and the subtlety of a solid stereo mix.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Last edited by wilsmith on Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
keithabbott
Sea Post King

Just in case Will...I didn't mean Chauntelle's vocals are getting lost in the mix, I just mean they are getting lost in the music (mostly first two tracks) where the instruments aren't as supportive as much as they are important if you catch my meaning.

I'm going to Come Clean and admit to committing the worst of sins when it comes to an artists work. I've made an edit of the title track and trimmed it to 3:24. I feel so dirty now. I need a bath. Sad

The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

keithabbott wrote:

I'm going to Come Clean

I see what you did there.

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
I listened to Rising Fawn - Everlasting Songs, on my stereo (not a computer or ear buds) but a legit hifi component system with full range 3 way speakers with 12 inch woofers and it sounded great, not low-fi at all. It's more folk-rock than anything, emphasizing the folk more than the rock mostly, and it sounds great. Not sure what everyone else listened to their music on, but if you don't have a legit stereo by choice, I suggest revisiting that choice, and ditching headphones/ earbuds, listen through a computer, or component system, and opting for a straight up component system, as I've found the listening experience using a 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound system sounds odd as well.

Yeah the bass on Stay Focused gets a bit boomy/muddy on my nice pc speakers but on my stereo system everything sounds fine.

keithabbott wrote:
My only reservation about the title track Everlasting Songs is that Chauntelle and Todd combined what sounds like two completely different songs together to make one song that could be easily separated for that 4th track. I'd be fine with ending it at 2:28. Once you get to 2:29 it's something entirely different. I know what they were going for, but I haven't listened to music like that since the 70's.

I like the way it changes moods. It all flows together nicely though as 1 piece and doesn't sound forced or weird.

keithabbott wrote:

I'm going to Come Clean and admit to committing the worst of sins when it comes to an artists work. I've made an edit of the title track and trimmed it to 3:24. I feel so dirty now. I need a bath. Sad

You dirty butcher!

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
olimario
Laughing Citizen

The Man In The Moon wrote:
olimario wrote:

i've noticed it, and it gets lost in all the negative stuff. i guess it's just more difficult interpreting what people are saying over the internet, but as i've said it just seems you have the attitude that says, "i can't believe i actually like that." also, i don't like sucre or merriment as much. neither are bad, there's stuff about them i like, but there's stuff about them i just can't get into. i also didn't feel like going around shooting everyone down when they were gushing over When We Were Young.

Goodness! Don't be so negative! :p
We have a difference of opinion on music which may be why you're reading in tone to what I'm saying. Merely giving my take over here.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

keithabbott wrote:
Just in case Will...I didn't mean Chauntelle's vocals are getting lost in the mix, I just mean they are getting lost in the music (mostly first two tracks) where the instruments aren't as supportive as much as they are important if you catch my meaning.

I was more directing my comments to the "recorded with a PC mic" comment. Also, the vocals were super prominent when I listened on my stereo, even with the bass boost up. The background vocals were a little less prominent than i expected given the featured spots for Sherri and Christie in the liners.

The one thing that stands out is that the next Eisley Acoustic tour should be done "songwriters in the round" style where all the duprees plus husbands and Jeremy Larson take the stage and instead of sets by each band, they just alternate between performances Sucre, Merriment, Rising Fawn, Perma, and every now and then a full on Eisley tune. It would be pretty amazing, and with Darren and Weston drumming together they could really do some neat things to create the polyrhythms featured on Currents tracks.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
olimario
Laughing Citizen

ks1990 wrote:
olimario wrote:
Not very good. Doesn't help that it sounds like it was recorded with a PC microphone and mixed in some Freeware.

But it was clear all along that this was more of a DIY EP/passion project. Not to mention it's being released on an imprint of an indie label. It's like, were you expecting Max Martin level production value?

I could be wrong, but it sounds like you have false expectations of Eisley's recent material and any side projects that you happen to dislike. From what I've gathered, you seem to be more receptive to more radio-friendly pop music, and Eisley have made it clear from Deep Space onwards, that they're not interested in that at this juncture. It seems futile, then, to complain about something that shouldn't be expected in the first place.

I was expecting her to have access to the same recording equipment as the rest of the family is all. It's like they stuck her in a closet with a Windows XP laptop.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Speaking of negative bias coloring perspective...

Out of curiosity Oli, What are you listening to the EP on, equipment wise?

For the record:

Andy Freeman recorded Deep Space and Though the Rough on his mobile studio gear.

Currents was recorded by Eisley in their home studio and Mixed by Jeremy Larson.

Everlasting Songs was recorded by Todd with assists from Mark, but does it say where on the cd, I don't have mine with me right now...

For the record, those two names in bold, those guys are ringers. They make magic. It's not exactly fair to contrast the work they do or resources at their disposal to most indie artists resources (inclusive of talent and gear). There's a reason they charge for their services.

Also, the EP seems to go for Stark as a feeling, which merits a different sonic treatment than the warmth and frolicking feel of Through the Rough or immersing qualities of Currents.

olimario
Laughing Citizen

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HAM750-Monitor-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B002GQM2 MA

and a Sana Clip +

Through the Rough's recording never sounded great, but the music more than made up for it.
LaRose Guitars
Sea Post King

Hello!
I find this thread quite interesting...and amusing in one way or another Wink
But we want to clarify. This EP was recorded/mixed and mastered by M. Swartzkophf and produced by myself in Eisleys studio. Using the exact equipment and mics that were used on Currents. I recommend listening on a higher end home stereo, or headphones of the same equivalent to optimism your listening experience.

That being said, we strive to create something of a different animal. Not that we're reinventing the wheel but It would be quite redundant on our part to stay in a mold and stifle the creative drive. Rising Fawns music is looking to reach, yes you the Eisley fans Smile but also outside that circle.

We appreciate all opinions good and bad Smile
There's no harm in constructive criticism.
There's plenty of music we love and plenty we cringe at haha.

Anyway Enjoy the music, eat Italian food and relax!

Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

^^^ Well, there you all go, for the answer to the recording questions!

I just came to make a general comment....Just about my listening experience and the comments overall.

Overall, I appreciate the songs very much. They are very emotional and music that makes me feel something = good music to me.

I was going to comment that "Stay Focused" is one that I am focusing on right now, but I was re-listening to "Everlasting Songs," to see if I like the transition or not....and I do!

I can't say I was overall surprised about the sound of the songs. With the very limited exposure we had with any Chauntelle song (well, pretty much Millstone!) lyrically, she's very honest and straight forward, and explores deep intrapersonal material. It makes sense that the music follows suit with more *moodiness* and less pop when not an "Eisley" song.

Side note: Are there lyrics with the physical CD? I'm assuming so, and I want to get one at the show.

In general, I'm loving the official side projects the members are doing in addition to Eisley. Listening to this EP yesterday made me bring back out and jam to Sucre. Honestly, my favorite is them all together in Eisley, but I can't complain about more and different music.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>