Laughing City
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

mr pine wrote:
turns out I will not be going to the eisley show in Chicago Sad

I really wanted to.
but it's on the same night at the childrens program at my church. and my kids are in it. so I must go to that instead.

bummer

Skip the kids and go see MO anyway.

Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

Eisley | Spring 2014 | Currents Tour - RehearsalsThey're going to have a nice choreographed light show.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

i'm so excited to see them tomorrow.

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
Jared x
Lost at Forum

The Man In The Moon wrote:
i'm so excited to see them tomorrow.

Did you manage to get a set list? I'm curious to know what they're playing. I've got a handful of friends going to the show with me next week. Was it mostly from Deep Space/Currents, or did they play older stuff too?

The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

show recap:

this was the 5th time seeing them. they weren't bad, but i'm not gonna lie, this might've been the weakest time i've seem them play; however, i figured that it's the first night of tour and there's still stuff they're trying to work out. the drums were a little bit too loud, and some of the overall mixing was muddy, but it's also the exit/in. the sound their is hit or miss, and when they played their with rooney a few years back, the results were similar. however, the sound seemed to get figured out and normalized around the last 5-7 songs which sounded flawless.

that being said, the overall set wasn't terrible. i was hoping to hear lost enemies live, but i understand that song is probably difficult to translate over. the more albums i make, the more i get the concept of recording and releasing music that you probably won't play live. highlights: blue fish, millstone, oxygen mask, deep space, shelter, if you're wondering, wicked child, ambulance, and laugh it off. me and my friend were surprised that they played please. brightly wound was a nice surprise. we were also a little surprised that memories, i could be there for you, golly sandra, smarter, the valley, better love, and i wish didn't make it to the set list this time.

the main problem from the set came during save my soul. either sherri started in the wrong key, forgot lyrics, guitar got out of tune, or a combination of the three. but she stopped midway into the first verse, and said she wasn't sure what was up. they didn't stop playing though and eventually they all got back on track.

oh mr. moon has a cool little extended instrumental intro based on the noise underneath it at the beginning.

finally the light show really REALLY heightened the experience of seeing them. For instance during invasion the lights made things pretty intense, same with blue fish. it also help set a nice mysterious dreamy vibe and atmosphere during marvelous things. it'd be cool if at some point they also incorporated a backdrop with animation and concept films. i think since this is a tour for currents it'd be fitting to have a projector and someone doing color effects on water.

edit:

song i remember them playing (in no solid order):

currents
invasion
blue fish
i wasn't prepared
marvelous things
brightly wound
many funerals
watch it die
oxygen mask (i also forgot how much of a rocking sound this is live)
mr. moon
please
ambulance
laugh it off
deep space
drink the water
save my soul
millstone
wicked child
shelter
if you're wondering

i think that's everything

edit 2:

final note, i understand they need to play to a click because of tracks, but i think they'll be better when they don't play to a click anymore. i only say that cause i've noticed the way they play and sing live seem to be oddly syncopated(?) sometimes and i think it might be due to hearing the click and trying to follow it.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Thanks for the review!

If you don't mind, can I edit and organize it for SYP?

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

wilsmith wrote:
Thanks for the review!

If you don't mind, can I edit and organize it for SYP?

go ahead!

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Thanks! Very Happy I will credit you, but expect embellishment. Wink

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Christian
Sea Post King

Nice set list, although the lack of I Could Be There For You and One Day I Slowly Floated Away is sort of shocking to me for some reason. I guess I'm just so used to them performing both when I've seen them. Oh well. Time to make room for the new material.
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

The Man In The Moon wrote:
show recap:

this was the 5th time seeing them. they weren't bad, but i'm not gonna lie, this might've been the weakest time i've seem them play; however, i figured that it's the first night of tour and there's still stuff they're trying to work out. the drums were a little bit too loud, and some of the overall mixing was muddy, but it's also the exit/in. the sound their is hit or miss, and when they played their with rooney a few years back, the results were similar. however, the sound seemed to get figured out and normalized around the last 5-7 songs which sounded flawless.

that being said, the overall set wasn't terrible. i was hoping to hear lost enemies live, but i understand that song is probably difficult to translate over. the more albums i make, the more i get the concept of recording and releasing music that you probably won't play live. highlights: blue fish, millstone, oxygen mask, deep space, shelter, if you're wondering, wicked child, ambulance, and laugh it off. me and my friend were surprised that they played please. brightly wound was a nice surprise. we were also a little surprised that memories, i could be there for you, golly sandra, smarter, the valley, better love, and i wish didn't make it to the set list this time.

the main problem from the set came during save my soul. either sherri started in the wrong key, forgot lyrics, guitar got out of tune, or a combination of the three. but she stopped midway into the first verse, and said she wasn't sure what was up. they didn't stop playing though and eventually they all got back on track.

oh mr. moon has a cool little extended instrumental intro based on the noise underneath it at the beginning.

finally the light show really REALLY heightened the experience of seeing them. For instance during invasion the lights made things pretty intense, same with blue fish. it also help set a nice mysterious dreamy vibe and atmosphere during marvelous things. it'd be cool if at some point they also incorporated a backdrop with animation and concept films. i think since this is a tour for currents it'd be fitting to have a projector and someone doing color effects on water.

edit:

song i remember them playing (in no solid order):

currents
invasion
blue fish
i wasn't prepared
marvelous things
brightly wound
many funerals
watch it die
oxygen mask (i also forgot how much of a rocking sound this is live)
mr. moon
please
ambulance
laugh it off
deep space
drink the water
save my soul
millstone
wicked child
shelter
if you're wondering

i think that's everything

edit 2:

final note, i understand they need to play to a click because of tracks, but i think they'll be better when they don't play to a click anymore. i only say that cause i've noticed the way they play and sing live seem to be oddly syncopated(?) sometimes and i think it might be due to hearing the click and trying to follow it.
I'm pretty sure Dallas was their first show last tour, and they were truly awful. Suffice to say, I am glad we're the last stop this time...

And here's hoping they change up the setlist. If You're Wondering?!?! Way too many Combinations-era tunes. Honestly Eisley, you're promoting your best full length yet; compliment it with your best work (i.e., EPs & before)! You don't have to pander to the AP crowd this time!

tungsten
Sea Post King

Kinda bummed there is no Golly Sandra, ICBT4U or Come Clean or I Wish. Sad times.
tungsten
Sea Post King

Also, no Smarter or Sad? I suppose this the issue now that they have 4 albums out. They can't play everything!
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

The escalation in technical issues from one show to the next took a major leap. This is going to be a tour for the ages at this rate! Sherri's always seemed to have problems at every show I've attended (3 so far), 2 times her guitar not coming through the PA or just dying, and once with her Vocals not coming through.

And yup, the last time I saw them in St. Louis I think they had a power amp die mid set too. The force is strong with that one!

So yeah, for them to go all out and get a neat lighting rig for this tour, only to be forced outside due to fire alarms and have to play an acoustic show... that's pretty ironic. But I bet that made MacRVA's proposal all the more romantic. Wonder if he might have pulled the alarm just for that reason? Wink

Marina
Sea Post King

I liked the setlist, but expected more Currents songs. However, it's a little sad to see so few songs Combinations being played over the years (yes, I am part of the minority that loves Combinations... or am I the only one, maybe?).
By the way, I would like to read more stories about the shows. It is curious to me, since I will not have the opportunity to see a show for a looong time...
Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

Thanks for the review! I'm excited to see them next week.

Interesting that they have a light show going on as well! It seems like it is complimentary and not distracting/blinding?

And I hate to complain about the set list, since I"m just happy they are touring at all, but no "Wonder English"? Find Me Here? The Night Comes? The Current songs are all the ones they've played before, no?

Oh well, my fault for not tweeting them back when they asked for song requests!

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>