Laughing City
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Album Premiere is Live here http://clrvynt.com/eisley-im-only-dreaming/

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

Defeatist is still my favorite. Louder Than a Lion and You Are Mine too. Brightest Fire is really good too even though some of it reminds me of Creed Higher or something for some reason lol.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

I'll wait until I order the CD online. No stores seem to be carrying it. Hasting's would have been the best chance here, but it's gone.

Most places online seem to be around $13. I like to get them at least as low as $9.99 first week.

I'm working on the new Flaming Lips and Ryan Adams album right now anyway.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I expected Louder than Lions to be my favorite, but Rabbit Hole & Brightest Fire made very strong impressions on me. Snowfall grab my attention as well. It's a solid, consistent album, with variations in styles that aren't as dramatic as past release. In that way it is dreamy.

Also, I preordered from Deep Discount with RA and Son Volt, so free shipping brought it to $12 even & $30.45 for all three.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:

Also, I preordered from Deep Discount with RA and Son Volt, so free shipping brought it to $12 even & $30.45 for all three.

DD and Target were the cheapest I saw, but both were backordered/out of stock.

Any idea what is happening in the Louder Than Lions music video?

Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJjX7aGStTQ&ab_channel=EqualVisionReco rds

Sherri is standing in front of a window. Garron brings her a fresh drink. She starts singing. The bartender wonders why she is singing. Some dude in a freaky mask creepily looks on. A mermaid under the sea cuts an anchor rope and the boat they are on lurches and Sherri falls in the water and her leg gets entwined in the rope. Garron crawls across the floor. The dude in the mask is in the water too, wrapped in chains like a magician. He starts singing while he struggles to escape the chains. The mermaid is swimming around them. Garron shows off his cool watch. The bartender dives in, ignores Sherri and swims down towards the magician. Some other dude swims by. Garron dives in and untangles Sherri from the rope. The mermaid swims away. Garron and Sherri swim up. Sherri is back at the window. She's only dreaming.

mr pine
Vintage Newbie

Nowhere Man wrote:
bigideas wrote:

Sherri is standing in front of a window. Garron brings her a fresh drink. She starts singing. The bartender wonders why she is singing. Some dude in a freaky mask creepily looks on. A mermaid under the sea cuts an anchor rope and the boat they are on lurches and Sherri falls in the water and her leg gets entwined in the rope. Garron crawls across the floor. The dude in the mask is in the water too, wrapped in chains like a magician. He starts singing while he struggles to escape the chains. The mermaid is swimming around them. Garron shows off his cool watch. The bartender dives in, ignores Sherri and swims down towards the magician. Some other dude swims by. Garron dives in and untangles Sherri from the rope. The mermaid swims away. Garron and Sherri swim up. Sherri is back at the window. She's only dreaming.

this sounds way cooler if you imagine Hannibal lector is saying it to us

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Nowhere Man wrote:
bigideas wrote:

The bartender wonders why she is singing. Some dude in a freaky mask creepily looks on. The dude in the mask is in the water too, wrapped in chains like a magician. He starts singing while he struggles to escape the chains. The bartender dives in, ignores Sherri and swims down towards the magician.

A mermaid under the sea cuts an anchor rope and the boat they are on lurches and Sherri falls in the water and her leg gets entwined in the rope. Garron crawls across the floor. The mermaid is swimming around them. Garron shows off his cool watch. Some other dude swims by. Garron dives in and untangles Sherri from the rope. The mermaid swims away. Garron and Sherri swim up. Sherri is back at the window. She's only dreaming.

Circa Survive, Anthony Green's band, started out indie on equal vision and got signed to a major for their 3rd album, and then went indie again. Also Anthony has been able to maintain a solo career, and marriage with 4 young children while being active with Circa Survive.

When I apply that to the video treatment it makes the contrast between his magician character (portrayed by someone else because he was on tour) and Sherri's damsel in distress, it says a lot about their careers.

Sherri is thrown off kilter by a mermaid/ siren, liberating herself. The result is Sherri is in over her head and caught in a desperate situation. At first I thought the other person who dove in was Remi...

Notice Sherri never really struggles, and the Magician is calm until he's sung to. Lots of take aways here.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

I've already seen 2 reviews use the album title to say the album is "too dreamy." Some say Sherri alone makes it more focused, while other says the voices of the others are missed.

Here is a positive blog on the album. He shares a lot of likes with you Wil, so the blog on the whole may interest you:

http://www.turnofftheradio.de/2017/02/first-thoughts-on-eisleys-im-onl y.html?m=0

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

It is very "dreamy" & "Focused". That's one way to say that the album production values and pacing are very consistent. This may bore some people who are looking for the diversity of Combinations or the Valley, which did their fair share of genre hopping, discretely. Sherri sings in at least three distinct vocal ranges/ voices, often in the same song to differentiate verses from bridges, chorus, and each other. She does harmonies, but doesn't go over the top layering them, and then you have Max, Anthony, and Christie providing vocals on tracks. In that sense you have as many vocalists on the album, but not the same ones as the past, and not on each track. It almost plays as dinner party/ date music to my ear, which is not a bad thing at all, but that's something I think Currents managed to pull of, but the sequence of that album didn't quite flow to have the same effect that IOD has. There are energetic songs but I wont to say most of the album is in 4/4 and midtempo.

I am going to review it for playbackstl/den if Manonthemoon doesn't beat me to it. I have been ridiculously busy so I haven't gotten a chance.

Also the name Alan Parish is VERY familiar for some reason.

Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

mr pine wrote:
this sounds way cooler if you imagine Hannibal lector is saying it to us

mr pine
Vintage Newbie

i enjoy my meals with a glass of sherri...i mean sherry

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:

I've linked him before. He blogs about Eisley/related bands, SDRE, Starflyer 59, Bazan, etc. and has a profile on this board. The avatar is the cover of The Gloria Record's Start Here album.

Watched the video again. Very cool visuals, but I still can't really make a linear story from it, though maybe there is not meant to be one. I wonder if they did the sped up vocal thing like Thom Yorke did for No Surprises? They lip synched to the music sped up and then they slowed it down to normal speed so it looked like he held his breath longer.

Deep Discount finally got it back in stock at $9.99, so I bought it and the new Grandaddy and Temples albums that come out Friday.

Mr Pine, will you try to hunt down all vinyl variants?

Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

They definitely did the slo-mo sped up lip syncing at the beginning on the boat. After that I think it's normal speed. In the Radiohead video he was lip syncing normal speed, maybe slightly faster until after he went under, then the music was sped way up. He had to not blink, blow bubbles or do anything that would give it away. Neat-o stuff. The first video I ever noticed doing that trick was the Police's Wrapped Around Your Finger.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
wilsmith wrote:

I've linked him before. He blogs about Eisley/related bands, SDRE, Starflyer 59, Bazan, etc. and has a profile on this board. The avatar is the cover of The Gloria Record's Start Here album.

I checked out the blog you linked, but I feel like I recognize the name from elsewhere, outside of the LC. I was thinking more like production credits I read on liner notes somewhere or something. I could just be mucking up John Parish and someone named Alan I can't think of, who knows?

Also, I think Nowhere Man's explanation nails it and makes it very discernable in regards to the continuity of the story in the video. They editing may be a little jarring/ abrupt, but the ideas are straight-forward and linear if you adopt his synopsis.