Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I saw Annihilation as well. It's not what I expected, but I didn't expect too much. It wasn't surprising either. Just well done in general.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9596 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Congratulations
Sea Post King

The last movie I saw in the theater was Mother!, starring Jennifer Lawrence, and man, it was a hell of a trip. I was the only one in the room at a major chain, and I was surprised that the movie was showing there at all.

I had a similar experience when I saw The Neon Demon.
Joined: 31 Dec 2007 | Posts: 332 | Location: Northern Virginia
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I ended up seeing Mother at a major chain as well, in one of their reserved seating lounge style theaters. It was about 40% full, and most everyone did not know what to expect going it. The general reactions was bewildered underwhelmed acceptance.

I saw Infinity War in IMAX 3D (unnecessary features in retrospect) and I'd say maybe it was 50% full, but this theater happens to be the last major attraction in an outlet mall that has had 80% of it's national chain stores leave and is basically a ghost town. the general reaction was bewildered overwhelmed acceptance.

I saw Isle of Dogs the week before that and enjoyed it quite a bit.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Congratulations
Sea Post King

Yeah, Mother! was more like a movie I'd expect to see at a film festival. Same goes for Neon, which was really out there and had some similar elements.

At least some moviegoers at the big chains are getting their horizons widened!
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I think the initial ad campaign may have misled some people into thinking it was a horror/ suspense film. I know for a fact a few people in my circle thought so, and after their viewing experience, their horizons were narrowed. Laughing

To her credit, Jennifer Lawrence has done more art leaning or oscar-bait movies than popcorn flicks (x-men, hunger games). Turns out Winter's Bone is more representative of her career choices than her teen oriented fodder has ever been.

Congratulations
Sea Post King

Right, and to be fair to the marketing folks, that must have been a challenging flick to promote.

And I totally agree about Jennifer's role choices. She's balanced things pretty well between movies that clearly paid the bills and the artsier ones. Winter's Bone was incredible, and it was nearly all Jennifer.

Elle Fanning seems to be on a similar track. I'm a big fan of her, too.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Elle, and at one point Elizabeth Olsen too. Younger siblings (and their parents) learning from the career choices of their older ones in those cases???

To her credit Kirsten Dunst did a good job of doing that as well. You can even make a case that Natalie Portman did too. Some start with small art house type films, land major roles and then never look back. Some stay in that lane and never leave, and then there's balance.

I'm curious to see how things will turn out for Alicia Vikander, Anya Taylor-Joy, and Ana de Armas.

It's also been interesting seeing the evolution of Charlize Theron's career and Ellen Page's.

Congratulations
Sea Post King

Yeah, Lizzie's a great example. She was awesome in Martha Marcy May Marlene and, more recently, Ingrid Goes West and Wind River. In the meantime she's been in a bunch of Marvel films, which will probably pay her bills for decades to come.

I really wish that I Saw The Lighthad taken off back in 2015. I saw it at a local film festival with director/producer Marc Abraham and legendary cinematographer Dante Spinotti there for Q&A afterwards. I asked him about Lizzie's singing, and he said it was painful to hear her pretending to sing badly. I thought maybe that movie was going to be the next Walk the Line, but it just didn't work out that way.

I've always been a Kirsten Dunst fan, but she cemented a place in my heart with her work in Melancholia. Amazing.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Congratulations wrote:

I've always been a Kirsten Dunst fan, but she cemented a place in my heart with her work in Melancholia. Amazing.

Q. F. T.

Most of my friends didn't get into it, but man alive, she was on her game. She made a heck of an impression from day one in Interview With A Vampire. I remember thinking, 'Whoa, this kid is amazing! Jeez!!!"

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Black Panther
Infinity War
Filled in a lot of the blanks, but still haven't seen Ultron.
Surely will see Solo this weekend.
Shape of Water
It's Alive 2
Flatliners og version
disaster artist
the graveyard shift

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Infinity War Shocked

Deadpool 2 Shocked [/quote]

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Solo - the weird thing about this one - there are a few people I know of online that are diehard Star Wars fans. When a new one comes out I think to check their profiles to see what they think. Pretty much all of them didn't even mention Solo. They didn't even say it sucked, they just didn't post about it at all. I found it to be pretty enjoyable.

The new Halloween trailer looks like it has potential. So odd that David Gordon Green and Danny McBride are behind it. I only own the original 2. I have seen some of the sequels on TV. Same with Friday the 13th, but I only own 2. Horror movies were not shown at my house growing up.

p.s. Bonus for Eisley fans - the Currents vinyl is under $10 on Amazon right now. It appears to be sold out in Equal Vision's store at the moment. They seem to be printing multiple colors of other albums, so they may be planning a repress for all I know.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Ant-Man & The Wasp Smile It was fun, nothing surprising for the most part, but a fitting sequel to the first that plants enough seeds to connect with the greater story of Infinity War that I feel after next year's Avengers movie it will be appreciated a lot more.

Sorry To Bother You Shocked This one is a trip. It's an experience. Buyer beware. I was entertained.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

For some reason, it didn't even hit me what had happened in the post credits scene until I was reading about it later and thought....oh yeah.

Garron said he didn't really care for The Last Jedi during the Facebook Live event.

It sounds like Mission Impossible is great and meant to be seen in IMAX.

Skyscraper - got 2 free unlimited Atom Tics through their Friday text contest, so I saw this in 3D RPX. I had to use it on whatever I saw next and I had another coupon for Jurassic World FK that I needed to use.

Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom - bought JP3 for $5 and got $5 Atom code so it was under $2.

Deadpool 2 - free with movie codes from a messageboard

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I' Tonya - Very Happy Harley Quinn gonna Harley, and Bucky, well, he wasn't quite himself. What else is new. Alison Janney FTW. Who knew Tonya Harding's mom was so out there???

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>