Laughing City

What was your favorite Eisley song, or at least the one that made you a fan?
It's still the same, and that song is (answer in comments).
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
It used to be one song, now it's another (answer in comments).
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
It's be varying songs over time, they are (answer in comments).
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I've never had a favorite Eisley song.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

The subject crossed my mind after putting what I consider my favorite Eisley song on a driving around mix cd.

To answer the question myself, Tree Tops and Marvelous Things were my favorite songs, more so the latter if I had to pick one. But now, for musical and emotional reasons, Lights Out is my favorite Eisley song without question. I love many Eisley songs, but the genesis of Lights Out resonated so deeply at the time, only more so since. For me it's a resounding anthem, the inversion of the lullaby-like nature of Marvelous Things.

I imagined Marvelous Things as a song sung to comfort a child afraid of the dark. Lights Out is very much a song about carrying on in the face of losing shelter and trying to wake a loved one from their slumber, to paraphrase the song itself. It has always struck a nerve with me, but especially as the circumstances of my own life and that of my family have leaned into similar realities as those surrounding Lights Out.

What a gift this band & family have given us.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Last edited by wilsmith on Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Probably Mr Pine. I am not as familiar with their discography as I was back in the day. I guess it was only released in the pre-signed recording (by Midlake I think?) and as a live version.

Speaking of Midlake - has their former singer ever released anything? Just came to mind while typing.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
Probably Mr Pine. I am not as familiar with their discography as I was back in the day. I guess it was only released in the pre-signed recording (by Midlake I think?) and as a live version.

Speaking of Midlake - has their former singer ever released anything? Just came to mind while typing.

I'm pretty sure Mr. Pine made it on one of the single/ EPs during Room Noises, cause I was able to get it off Itunes at some point, and it didn't seem to be live.

Tim Smith posted once about working on things as I recall, but in that time the guitarist who fronted them on that last record, Eric Pulido, put out a solo record. https://www.dallasobserver.com/music/eric-pulidos-first-solo-album-is- to-each-his-own-and-the-first-music-video-features-jason-lee-10954123

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Shadow Mouse
Sea Post King

Lately I've found myself going back to their old stuff (i.e. early EPs/B-sides and Room Noises) more than anything. It just has such a unique and timeless sound. When I listen to the other stuff I was listening to when I first discovered Eisley, a lot of it sounds very of the time now (not that that's a bad thing necessarily). The heavy distortion on some of their early stuff sounds pretty 90s I guess, but for the most part, it sounds out of time.

Currents used to be my favourite album and I still love it a lot, but I think it's gone back to Room Noises now. That album is magic.

My favourite Eisley song is and probably always will be Invasion, but lately I've really been liking Marvelous Things and Deep Space. So an old song and a new(er) song. Smile
Last edited by Shadow Mouse on Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:31 am; edited 1 time in total
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Shadow Mouse wrote:
Currents used to be my favourite album and I still love it a lot, but I think it's gone back to Room Noises now. That album is magic.

My favourite Eisley song is and probably always will be Invasion, but lately I've really been liking Marvelous Things and Deep Space. So and old song and a new(er) song. Smile

I'd say Eisley had at least one timeless sounding song on each release, with some songs also sounding like retro homages to older genres and time periods too. But then those distinctly Eisley songs like Marvelous Things, that don't reminding me of anything specifically, they hold up. I always liken it to their being a missing piece in the puzzle of existence that musicians fill with some arcane musical algebra that's in the ether.

Invasion, boy oh boy, the behind the scenes video of them making that and Weston calling it a Cranberries song... I am sooo in that camp. I was a solid Cranberries fan at their peak and still have all their albums after their third and Dolores's solo albums too. And... now I'm going to be bitter thinking about her passing. *sigh* The first comes to mind as far as the chord changes and minor key that makes me think "Invasion" sounds like a Cranberries song,or at least the idea of one. Now that I think about it did Weston say it sounded like REM??? Nah that was one of the songs on The Valley he said sounded like REM ("Sad").

Anyways, I highly recommend The Cranberries Everybody Else Is Doing It So Why Can't We.

Last edited by wilsmith on Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
superhits
Sea Post King

I've had so many over the years. Tree Tops, Marvelous Things, Head Against the Sky, Bluefish... now I think Marvelous Things will just always have the biggest soft spot for me.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

superhits wrote:
I've had so many over the years. Tree Tops, Marvelous Things, Head Against the Sky, Bluefish... now I think Marvelous Things will just always have the biggest soft spot for me.

All excellent songs! Marvelous Things is pretty much perfect so it's hard to argue against that choice.