Laughing City
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Like most people, Mindy Smith's "Come To Jesus" was my introduction to her. Like most Mindy Smith fans the entirety of the album "One Moment More" was riveting and made me appreciate her talent as a sincere and uniquely empathetic songwriter. She'd lost her mother to cancer and the impact of that was woven into her art.

It was on her fourth album that she wrote this song, a letter to her mother, that really did a number on me. I remember a coworker letting me know that Mother's Day was going to be emotional for one of our new colleagues because she'd lost her mother to cancer. It just so happened that this was around the same time that Mindy Smith had released the album that featured the song I am sharing. I shared the song with my coworker via email and the next time she saw me, she was very appreciative but it brought her near tears. I was trying to express an inherent understanding by sharing it, but I wasn't capable of much beyond that as for as emotional availability. I believe now that just letting myself cry and sharing that vulnerability and whatever expression on solidarity/ kinship is welcomed and healthy is the best way to be there for someone. So I'm shedding a tear or two and sharing this here for anyone who can relate.

This song is meant to reassure, but by the end Mindy's voice gives out, and you can only imagine it's because of the emotional toll writing and performing this song had taken. There are times when we know we can handle a very difficult part of life, but it's not our will to do so. Our ability is the legacy of those who raised us and tried to see the best in us come to light, so we understand how to honor them, and bring them joy. But it's heartbreaking at the same time. Is there any truer tragedy?

https://youtu.be/V_l5PagE3D4

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area