Laughing City
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

It can be good to cover something to learn from it. I know I don't sit down and try to learn a song because I can think of doing something different to it. Maybe if I ever get really good or something, but otherwise, I'm just trying to learn.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
expectedperfection
Sea Post King

that's not really a cover though. if you're just trying to learn a song just to know it and you're trying to pick out chords that's one thing, but recording yourself singing/playing that song and allowing anyone to hear/see it or performing it in public is really what a cover is. it doesn't really become a cover until someone besides you sees it, then it's you doing a cover of that song..does that make sense? it's so hard to be clear in text. oh well. anyway, i surely do that all the time--between eisley, vanessa carlton, jewel and various movie theme songs i've worked out how to play them on the piano, but i def don't record myself doing them and put them on the internet. (at least not when i can't make a clear and distinct departure from the original--i do have a s&g cover..it's not on the internet, but i've recorded it and let my boyfriend and sis hear it) i dunno, maybe this opinion just stems from my desperate desire to create and not feel like i'm copying or stealing someone else's art. i deal with that feeling a lot when it comes to drawing b/c i can't draw things without having a reference so i'm always going to be copying drawings--or at least elements of drawings--from somewhere. anyway...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address