Laughing City
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Since when did a girl with a pretty voice accompanied by nothing but the strumming a acoustic guitar or piano/ keyboard not sound generic??

And I'm not saying that cause I don't think she's awesome solo too, it's just, no matter how you frame a song these days it's all been done to death, and now all you can hope is to do whatever "it" is you do well.

But maybe you mean their arrangements for the backing elements were generic and not inventive, as opposed to the simple fact that her songs are now band songs and not solo? Confused

Ya'll are some hataz

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Last edited by wilsmith on Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

If that's what we're calling those who are able to express an honest opinion without fear, sure!

And yes, I meant the arrangements. It adds nothing to the song, and in my opinion, actually detracts from it. My opinion might be different if she had an actual band who was actually thoughtfully writing out music to accompany these songs, but I don't think that's the case from what I've seen...unless something's changed. But even if they did, I still really like just the guitar/keyboard that puts her voice in the spotlight, and would hope some songs could still be like that. Again, it's only an opinion and she can do whatever she wants.
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

^ Pretty much. If you just add a "band" sound to a solo song, it just makes it sound more radio-ish to me. Some of my favorite singer songwriters are ones who avoid this cliche (Sufjan Stevens with huge-to-tiny instrumentation, and Damien Rice with cello, violin, alto voice, and looping pedals).

Another benefit to "just" a solo performance is that it allows for a much more nuanced performance.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^ Why are you agreeing with her when she just ripped off what you said before? She's stealing your thunder! Laughing

Of course I totally get where you're coming from, and to show how I get what you mean... in principle... But I really enjoyed those arrangements, it was not what I expected, but still enjoyable, a change of pace. But that's just me...

But to bring it back around, the main reason I brought up "the Brewtones Ensemble" is cause I was trying to stick to the thread's idea of (realistic) BANDS I'd like to see open up for Eisley on tour. So, I saddled her with a band to book her on an imaginary tour, with musicians she could realistically recruit. That's all.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Last edited by wilsmith on Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

butt = hurt

It's a compliment to Christie. She has the expressive capabilities to perform an engaging solo act. And, personally, I think that's a lot more interesting when it's not covered up by generic band instrumentation. But, you know what? Home Movies is also my favorite television show. And, it got the worst ratings UPN had ever had, so my opinions are generally irrelevant.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Home Movies started off on UPN???? Confused Shocked

I think there is a pretty general consensus that Home Movies and Arrested Development are generally loved on this board, or at least by the people who's opinions matter the most around here. But I did not know they were on there, ever. It was always a Cartoon Network show to me, pre-adult swim even, I remember it coming on in the evening, it was the highlight, Justice League, followed by some crap, and eventually Home Movies.

Peep the Imdb.com user score now, and rethink your statement there...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Damnit, I don't think I've ever gotten THAT completely off topic? No wait, yeah I have.

Back full Cirlce then..

Eisley & the Swell Season, Aqualung Opens.

DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
Home Movies started off on UPN???? Confused Shocked

I think there is a pretty general consensus that Home Movies and Arrested Development are generally loved on this board, or at least by the people who's opinions matter the most around here. But I did not know they were on there, ever. It was always a Cartoon Network show to me, pre-adult swim even, I remember it coming on in the evening, it was the highlight, Justice League, followed by some crap, and eventually Home Movies.

Peep the Imdb.com user score now, and rethink your statement there...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Damnit, I don't think I've ever gotten THAT completely off topic? No wait, yeah I have.

Back full Cirlce then..

Eisley & the Swell Season, Aqualung Opens.

It started off on UPN in 1999, canned after 5 episodes. Cartoon network picked it up and finished the first seasons in 2001.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Stratman
Sea Post King

I'd like to see them with another underrated Texas band "Fastball".
With their use of harmony and melodic tunes I think they would be a good pairing, plus I would get to see two bands in one night that I really like.
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

Dan and Sam wrote:
wilsmith wrote:
Well, now that the playing field has changed...

this 2010 available bands touring package would make since to me:

Christie Dupree (backed by the Brewtones ensemble)
Vedera
Eisley
the Cranberries

Dolores and the Cranberries! I love this list! Very Happy Throw in Sixpence None The Richer, and I'll be there for multiple venues...

Holy cow yes, but I'm not that lucky!

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
butt = hurt.

I just looked that up... and that's why I changed my Avatar... Laughing

I am not taking any of this seriously or personally, but I will admit that I am being contentious, instigating, making leading arguments, and in general being asinine, so I guess I had it coming...

but one thing I'm not up on is net-slang. But you know... I'm not ashamed of that Laughing

sometimes there's a little dignity in no getting it.

Very Happy

Oh speaking of being asinine: I thought Leigh Nash went solo like 10 years ago???

I never gave them a chance cause the two songs that hit big with them fell into my "hate with a passion" category... I was way off into the 2nd Portishead album, Choirgirl Motel, and stuff like that when Kiss Me & the There She Goes cover's hit big. I found those songs nauseating at that time. The group never got the benefit of the doubt with me because of that.

grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:

Oh speaking of being asinine: I thought Leigh Nash went solo like 10 years ago???

I never gave them a chance cause the two songs that hit big with them fell into my "hate with a passion" category... I was way off into the 2nd Portishead album, Choirgirl Motel, and stuff like that when Kiss Me & the There She Goes cover's hit big. I found those songs nauseating at that time. The group never got the benefit of the doubt with me because of that.

She did but it was more like 5 years ago, then she reunited with co-writer/guitarist Matt Slocum with an EP and then Christmas album as Sixpence in 2008. There's no denying they have an overall shiny sound, but I find their songs very well crafted. Plus I adore Leigh's pixielike voice, and actually I hear a lot of similarity in Sherri's, an aspect that drew me to Eisley on first exposure. A shared sweet Texas twang. Smile Maybe that's a hook that can help get you starrted?

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Nope, not enough.

I always heard their first few Sixpence records were the best, but never got that far. Plus at that time, (10 years ago) I had a buddy who tended to give favor to bands who's lead singers he thought were attractive, which I understand. It also lead to him arguing about how good they were compared to other stuff that I don't think was appropriate, and his crushes would add this intensity to some of the arguments, which put me further off said bands.

Their voices may be similar, and I can hear that, but if I was Eisley, I would dread those comparisons because it does their musical creativity a disservice. I am a fan of pretty voices, but I am a bigger fan of melodic arrangements and production. So in my head, as long as there is an Eisley, I have absolutely no use for a Sixpence. And then along came Vedera, and at that point I lost any and all reason to seek out Sixpence, because again there was a singer compared to Leigh in a band whose music I legitimately loved, no allowances necessary (although Lover's Lie acoustic guitar part does irk me a little cause it sounds like something Sixpence would do Laughing ).

I am such a hater. I did preamble the subject with "speaking of asinine though Smile

grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

Ha ha, this is where the phrase "well more for me then!" should come into play, but that doesn't work with music does it? Ah well, can't be a fan of everything. Or rather, a person shouldn't be a fan of everything, right? I'm sure Eisley doesn't mind the Sixpence comparison, in fact I bet the sisters combined have all their albums. So much up their alleys. I made a special point to mention in my previous post how Sixpence make "very well crafted" songs - melodic arrangements, check, sparkling production, check - but I guess you'll just have to take my word for it. Wink
norad
Vintage Newbie

A Fine Frenzy
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

patrock wrote:
A Fine Frenzy

Gross.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>