Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

StuartBuck wrote:
Saellys wrote:
If the ISPs are getting charged more by the media companies, do you honestly think they'll drop prices for anyone? Even the low man on the totem pole is going to have to pay more, and I still believe a tiered plan can only go horribly wrong.

Again, I think companies are going to move toward tiered plans regardless; they're too fed up with 5% of the users taking up 70 or 80% of the network.

Would they drop prices for any Internet users? Maybe not. But I doubt that they would raise prices either, at least not very much. Let's say that the various industries come together, and their best guess is that with all the illegal downloading going on, it averages out to $5 per month per user, and that ISPs will have to pay the RIAA (or ASCAP or BMI) 2 cents per Mb (just making up the figures here).

So now the ISPs can decide, "Do we want to start charging every customer $5 more per month, or do we want to charge more to the few people who downloaded 20 gigs last month?" I am skeptical that an ISP would take that first option. After all, if the ISP already had enough monopoly market power to charge your grandfather an extra $5 per month without causing him to cancel service, then why wouldn't it just go ahead and do so right now? Why wait to get that free money? Conversely, if the ISP is not charging your grandfather that much right now, then the ISP must have figured out that if it does so, either 1) the cable or DSL competitor will underbid it, or 2) enough people like your grandfather will cancel service altogether that it's not worth it to raise the price.

I'm just guessing how this would all play out. Maybe ISPs would indeed figure out a way to raise prices across the board by at least a little bit. But I still think it might be worth it, if that means more artists like Eisley can be fairly compensated for the many MP3s that are being illegally shared right now.

You have more faith in the ethics of such companies than I do. Yes, most ISPs with that kind of monopoly already charge out the nose for service, but given the legally sound opportunity to charge more, I can only imagine they'd gladly take it.

StuartBuck wrote:
Quote:
Artists already have little to no control over an income stream. That's why the industry is changing so dramatically--because more artists want their profits to go to them, rather than some sleazeball executive for one of the Big Three. The only way to make sure that happens is to completely overhaul the way music is distributed to reflect the changing technology.

What does this specifically mean? If you have the Radiohead model in mind, even Radiohead apparently could only get a small minority of downloaders to actually pay for their album, and I fear that even getting that much won't be realistic for the vast majority of bands with less name recognition. Too many people are getting used to the notion that music is just free like TV; thus, just as TV is supported by advertising, someone has to come up with a way to make sure that musical artists get compensated.

A little less than half (from the figures I've seen) is hardly a small minority, but that's beside the point since that was Radiohead and not Eisley. The most conservative version of my "overhaul" is that of bands distributing their own music. A measly twenty bucks gets your album on half a dozen major downloading sites via TuneCore with all the royalties going straight back to you, and if you've got a physical CD there are places that cater to unsigned musicians as well. There is no longer any reason for bands to have anyone between them and their money. Self-promotion is the way to go.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
StuartBuck
Sea Post King

I was remembering a smaller number for some reason, but this site says that 38% of the downloaders paid for Radiohead. http://www.comscore.com/press/release.asp?press=1883

Anyway, I wonder if we're just coming at this from different assumptions . . . you mention self-promotion, which is great in some respects, but doesn't address the problem of one guy who puts the downloaded files on a P2P network and then you lose 1,000 sales (or 10,000 or whatever). Do you think illicit downloading substantially cuts into a band's earnings?
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Nope, I don't think it does, and that's probably where we differ. Wink

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
fernster
Sea Post King

Oy!!

I got a great idea. Instead of yaking about all this why don't we all go listen to our esliey music all at the same time sunday at 8pm!!PST

pirated or not! 8pm, be there or be square!!!!! yeeehaw!
fernster

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

fernster wrote:
Oy!!

I got a great idea. Instead of yaking about all this why don't we all go listen to our esliey music all at the same time sunday at 8pm!!PST

pirated or not! 8pm, be there or be square!!!!! yeeehaw!
fernster

Why is it a bad thing that we're yakking about all this? Music fans and musicians alike need to be well-informed on the issues facing them as the industry collapses.

Smokemonster
SamuraiPunk
Vintage Newbie

rmlawrence wrote:
the igonorance motif wrote:
We've all got a little bit of pirate in us. Few just choose to admit to it.

I really, really wish I had a parrot.

LOL.I just don't think it's right to steal from people.

StuartBuck
Sea Post King

Saellys wrote:
Nope, I don't think it does, and that's probably where we differ. Wink
I thought so.

Well, all I can say is that I have three sisters who have birthdays in late March/early April (as do I myself -- I'm not sure why my parents always hit the bullseye around the first of July), and I'm thinking about getting them all an Eisley album this year (last year I bought six copies of Leeland to give away).

But I'm not going to burn copies of the CDs that I already have. Sure, if I burned the CDs, maybe they would become huge Eisley fans and then spend their own money in the future on . . . something, but that's really just theoretical. If I buy the CDs, that's something that benefits the band in reality, right now, and if my sisters do become huge Eisley fans, hey, that's gravy. Cool (Not that I'm a huge fan of gravy.)
mikep0922
Lost at Forum

I posted earlier on this thread that I was going to follow Kims' example, and buy extra CD's to give to potential Eisley fans. Just yesterday I picked up an RN at Boarders with this in mind. I've got a couple of each CD already that I lend out. Hopefully they haven't burned them. I think you have a better shot at making a new fan if they have an actual CD in hand then just an anonymous silver colored piece of plastic. They can look at the artwork, peruse the lyrics, get a feel for what Eisley is all about, just like we did.

And it's a gift! Something of value that you bestow on someone, and I think that we all agree Eisley is of immeasurable value!

Also that person might feel more of an obligation to really listen to it! Maybe, possibly. But it's worth the chance!!

alastica
Sea Post King

Blah. All I have to say is that I hate the frigging RIAA.

Joined: 01 Apr 2006 | Posts: 314 | Location: Greetings From Michigan, The Great Lakes State!
SamuraiPunk
Vintage Newbie

Me too.There not about the artiest.There all about greedy lawyers.
They get more press they get more power and the sew more people.

Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

StuartBuck wrote:
Do you think illicit downloading substantially cuts into a band's earnings?

I think it does, but not directly and not as much as the RIAA would have us think. While it's true that artists Eisley's size make little money from a sale of their CD since they need to recoup recording costs, poor album sales do little to motivate the label to put up money to give the band a tour bus and good promotion to make their touring, and subsequently merchandise sales, the real source of income for smaller bands, truly profitable. I think Eisley is a bit of a unique case in this situation, however, since they've got a team at Reprise who takes a sincere interest in the band, something which is rare even at small indie labels.
Bands like Spitalfield and June (Victory Records is notorious for terrible artist treatment) got nearly all funding from the label cut off when their more pop-punk records didn't sell as well as junk like Aiden and Atreyu. Because of the lack of money put up for touring, it was difficult for both bands to continue to tour, make new fans and earn enough money to continue the touring cycle and as a result they've both broken up within the past six months.

<< prev | goto page