Laughing City
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

I lean towards Stacy's stuff, but only because I relate to it more.
Eisley would not be the same with out both song writers.

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I was going to say how sick I am of hearing about how much better one or the other is ... The Valley would sorely lack something great it has without either contribution, and even more importantly: Eisley is not a contest. Thankfully, I can just ignore it all. Laughing

However, I wholeheartedly encourage this whole Chauntelle songwriting thing. That would be awesome.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

TheAntrider wrote:
I was going to say how sick I am of hearing about how much better one or the other is ... The Valley would sorely lack something great it has without either contribution, and even more importantly: Eisley is not a contest. Thankfully, I can just ignore it all. Laughing

However, I wholeheartedly encourage this whole Chauntelle songwriting thing. That would be awesome.

THIS times a million. seriously, what makes eisley so great is the fact there are two very different songwriters and not just one that has no one to bounce ideas off of.

anywho, stacy said there's only a few songs done for the solo album =/

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Is this the first time the songwriters took sole credit? I thought in the past the entire band shared songwriting credit.
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

it is the first time that they have taken solo credit.

I also read an interview where sherri said that weston and garron have no input on the writing of the music either (not sure about chauntelle).

I am not sure that sharing an opinion about who they think writes or sings better is making it a contest.
they are two different people. who write differently. it is ok if you prefer one over the other.

you can tell easily if lennon or mccartney (or both) wrote what beatles tune. and people have their preference on which one they like. it doesn't make them any less spectacular.

simply because one doest agree with how you feel, does not make their opinions invalid.

just saying.

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Jain wrote:
If there's one thing The Valley has solidified, it's that (I really hope nobody in or related to the band reads this) Stacy has all but ruined my enjoyment of the band.

There's a direct correlation in most of the songs between how much input she had in the song, and how much less I like that song than the other, non-Stacy songs. I just don't care for the melodies she writes anymore, at all.

Unfortunate and harsh, but true.. I enjoyed Eisley's music more when there was less of a difference between Sherri and Stacy's voices.

But on the bright side, I still really like most of Sherri's songs a lot!
[The exact opposite of] THIS! :p

Nah, but like I said, I've really enjoyed some of Sherri's contributions on this album.

But they have definitely gone in different directions and it's going to be interesting to see where it takes the band. I am certainly BEYOND STOKED for Stacy's solo album. Like, literally, in tears at just the thought.

Also, great post, Mr. Pine. Way to be passive-aggressive, Jamie... Wink
I guess it's kind of understandable. I can see how knowing the band on a much more personal level than the rest of us can make such "criticism" feel more personal. It shouldn't be, though. I've always thought what one "lacks" in one area in the band, he or she makes up for in some other way. Sherri's really a fantastic drawer. Even if you don't appreciate the style, you can't deny her talent. From what I've seen, Stacy can't draw much better than most people, but she sure as hell can sing better than plenty of them. It's obviously not a competition to them, and I think to read into it as some of us pitting them against each other, is to read into it incorrectly. I just think some of us have or have had very strong desires for Eisley to go further one way, and I don't see the problem with this. At the end of the day, our desires are not theirs, and they're going to do what they want, but at least let us share our feelings in the meantime. And obviously people should feel free to counter those feelings. Isn't that what a discussion is all about, anyway?
Last edited by tahruh on Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:03 am; edited 1 time in total
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I'm just sharing my opinions like everyone else, except some people seem bent on reading something into anything I post, or condescendingly trying to explain how I'm too snowed over by naive band love to have the correct opinion. I could share my thoughts about why some people hold opinions contrary to mine, but I don't.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
I'm just sharing my opinions like everyone else, except some people seem bent on reading something into anything I post, or condescendingly trying to explain how I'm too snowed over by naive band love to have the correct opinion. I could share my thoughts about why some people hold opinions contrary to mine, but I don't.

But a lot people probably don't read into your opinion as "anyone elses" because A) You do know them on a more personal level and B) You're a moderator, so it seems like you're expressing more of a direction/dictation and less of "just another opinion." And personally, if I read anything into your posts, it's that.

Also, you edited this before I quoted it, but I still want to reply: I don't think Sherri's little side projects seemed to distract from anything (which included both music and art). I think that kind of thing can hurt bands if they're not all on the same page with it, and I'm assuming that's not the case.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

tahruh wrote:
Also, you edited this before I quoted it, but I still want to reply: I don't think Sherri's little side projects seemed to distract from anything (which included both music and art). I think that kind of thing can hurt bands if they're not all on the same page with it, and I'm assuming that's not the case.

Agreed. I was concerned at first about that, but since she seems to do all of her stuff with Max, I assumed it's helping avoid a "Yoko" situation, so to speak. Laughing But I'll resist going further down that path (hence my edit).

P.S. There is no "Yoko" situation I know of in the band, I was just trying to make a point.

Jared x
Lost at Forum

norad wrote:
Jared x wrote:
Who wrote which song? Is there a list of credits anywhere online?

The Valley written By Stacy
Smarter written by Sherri
Watch It Die written By Stacy
Sad written by Sherri
Oxygen Mask written by Stacy
Better Love written by Sherri
I Wish written by Stacy & Sherri
Kind written By Stacy
Mr. Moon written by Sherri
Please written by Sherri
Ambulance written by Stacy

If this is the case, I honestly cannot pick one's writing over the other's in terms of which I like more. "The Valley," "Watch It Die," and "Ambulance" are all amazing, and I like them so much more than "Oxygen Mask" and "Kind." The same could be said about Sherri's songs: "Better Love," "Mr. Moon," and "Please" are terrific; "Smarter" and "Sad" are just 'good' IMO. (Although I think I'm just getting tired of listening to "Smarter" because I've heard it too much; I was in love with it from the first time I listened.)

I actually think my order of "favorites" would go something like this:

Watch It Die [Stacy]
Please [Sherri]
Better Love [Sherri]
I Wish [Stacy & Sherri]
Ambulance [Stacy]
The Valley [Stacy]
Mr. Moon [Sherri]
Smarter [Sherri]
Oxygen Mask [Stacy]
Sad [Sherri]
Kind [Stacy]
libbylives
Sea Post King

I've loosely followed Eisley's music for some years, and I will say their differences have kept me away from the band instead of bringing me into fanship.

I for one am confused when I listen to their albums as it feels like there is some tension between the two songwriters directions. One of the voices is so warm and seamless and the other girls voice (Sherris?) is really nasally and pushed sounding.

It definitely seems like both song writers might be able to go bigger places if they went at what they did full force in their own directions instead of trying to mesh them? Maybe the edgy stuff could go more mainstream and the mellow-70s-pop feel be a real indie success? I know as more of an indie listener, I am turned off by the edgy-90s-early 2000 reminiscing.

It seems like this could even effect who they would be able to tour with. Maybe one set touring with more mainstream/alt/rock and the other with more indie bands.

To me they just sound too different to comfortably reconcile.

Undoubtedly they are doing something right! As just a casual fan, I'd say it seems like they have a super super loyal fanbase to those that do enjoy them.

I'm excited to learn about Stacy's solo album. I think I might be able to actually spin that one on repeat.

Favourite tracks: Ambulance, Oxygen Mask (genius!), Kind.
Least favourite: Smarter, Sad, Better Love
mister_joseph
Golly, Poster

well, there are eleven songs. five are sherri's, five are stacy's, and one is a co-write. equally divided among sisters, as good siblings do!

just don't mention the great cookie wars of 1990--that was brutal!

mister_joseph
Golly, Poster

max is the yoko. does that make him mako? or moko?
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Yoko didn't play guitar. I could make a joke about singing voices, but he's got Yoko licked there too. He can sing in different ways, well, I just happen to not like them all. He's a plus, not a minus, the way many felt Yoko was.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
ks1990
Lost at Forum

bigideas wrote:
Is this the first time the songwriters took sole credit? I thought in the past the entire band shared songwriting credit.

I think it's interesting how they're not credited as a group anymore. I was perusing their ASCAP entries, and all the songwriting is credited to the group as a whole (except for Garron).