Laughing City
homesick_alien
Vintage Newbie

Gomez are unbelievable

the fray make me so sleepy

Lost at Forum

oliez wrote:
okay stacy, no husband from this band please...

Laughing
RockerChick
Sea Post King

madcat2089 wrote:
RockerChick wrote:
Laughing AGHHHH they tour with such god awful bands! Shocked

The label must not know what to classify them as. They must not understand the audience. Cause this is LOUSY.

hahaha are you kidding me? please tell me that's sarcasm. SURE, I'm not a fan of any of the bands exactly, but come on - it's pretty obvious that the Fray an OK GO have EXPLODED in the last year with the Fray's (basically) one hit wonder (shoot me for saying it) and OK GO's taking-over-the-world-insanely-creative music videos. Even if Eisley doesn't fit the "genres," they fit in perfectly with the other bands considering the fact that they too are becoming more popular every day. And it's not like they're going to be spending month after month on this tour - it's less than 2 weeks of shows. Shoot me for saying this as well, but this tour isn't for us, the fans. It's for the millions of people that NEED to hear Eisley, ESPECIALLY after this new album comes out. To me, that's just as good as Eisley headling with the best indie bands around because it's tours like those that can do the band absolute wonders.

Ohhhh fine. I guess it's good exposure. But why expose them to an audience that's not the same "genre"? Shouldn't you be exposing them to an Eisley-esque market? The target market? I mean, hypothetically, the fray and eisley sound really different, so why would the fray's fans like eisley? (And the other way around.) I understand they're not exclusive and that there's some crossover...but....I don't know. Seems weird to me. Like you would never put...Beyonce on tour with the Rolling Stones right? Because they have different audiences. I just don't think they understand Eisley's audience. They're trying to reach too many people...and if they narrowed it down I'd bet they'd have more success. That's all.
Kappa962
I LIKE KNOBS, FADERS

Eisley's fanbase is insanely eclectic. That is why it is very difficult to find a band that seems obvious to tour with. I think the Fray are way closer to Eisley's genre than any of the bands they've been out with previously. Coldplay and Snow Patrol also being fairly close. But the two most successful opening tours were with Brand New and NFG, who are not even remotely like Eisley.

Out of curiosity, what are some bands that you think would be in Eisley's genre?

-Mark
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

As much as I'd love to see them tour with say, Arcade Fire (for example), I think a tour with The Fray will be far more productive. Eisley "fits" in a lot of different styles. They have something that punkers can dig, they have a pop element, they have a mainstream element even. They can tour with a variety of bands.

Also, indie fans tend to be bigger snobs ...

Though I do think a tour with Arcade Fire would rock. Laughing

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Caley
Lost at Forum

I think it would be amazing if Eisley toured with My Morning Jacket, mewithoutYou, Clap Your Hands and Say Yeah, or Broken Social Scene (merely out of indulgence for me).

But I really don't care who Eisley tours with just as long as those bands' fans don't throw beer bottles at them.

Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

Kappa962 wrote:

Out of curiosity, what are some bands that you think would be in Eisley's genre?

Oddly enough, I can't really think of any! I think you are extremely right when you say Eisley's fanbase is really eclectic...There's a reason for that. If you look over Eisley's full catelouge, they are rather eclectic themselves. I can actually tell one song from another, as oppose to most bands out there.

Bands that I think would be in Eisley's genre would be somewhere in the mix of the Cardigans, the Decemberists, and/or Keane.

Bands that are touring or up and coming now that would be close to genre would maybe be MuteMath (I think we established that without saying earlier) and even (dare I say it) the Hush Sound.

The Fray, whether I like them or not, is actually a good move for them. Compared to the other bands they've toured with, they are definitely in the closer-to-own-sound category. I believe that they can and will definitely get some new fans from that bit of shows....
RockerChick
Sea Post King

Kappa962 wrote:

Well the first two that came to mind were Decemberists and Arcade Fire. But people already said that. (I know I've said it a ton.) But I think musically, especially the Decemberists, the similarity is there. Eisley shares with them this knack for narration and intelligence within music. Their songs are significant. They both have a certain charm with their songs and stage theatrics. And they have that catchy pop base that appeals to people who like pop music, but not synthesized bubble-gum pop. I love that there are characters...Meloy has barrow boys, chinese trapeze artists, and suicidal lovers....and eisley has fairies and dragons and all kinds of similar fantastic imagery.

The Fray does not have fantastic imagery.

Do I make sense?

I think a broad, diverse audience can grow to LIKE eisley....but I think only a certain kind of music listener will respect and understand them.

Or I'm just weird.

Alternate suggestions: Sufjan Stevens? Jenny Lewis? (Maybe too country/folk for them.) Hanson? (Assuming Hanson hasn't reverted to the 90s version of themselves. Laughing) Even Regina Spektor would be kinda cool. Maybe there could be a piano collaboration. Martha Wainwright?
kuhlmun
Golly, Poster

TheAntrider wrote:
As much as I'd love to see them tour with say, Arcade Fire (for example), I think a tour with The Fray will be far more productive. Eisley "fits" in a lot of different styles. They have something that punkers can dig, they have a pop element, they have a mainstream element even. They can tour with a variety of bands.

Though I do think a tour with Arcade Fire would rock. Laughing

Excellent point Jamie.
"We want Eisley to tour with "other" indie bands" is pretty much the underlying statement most of the people are saying who are opposed to them touring with the likes of Ok Go, The Fray, etc.
Here is my question though, if you were musically open enough to liking Eisley in the first place then why aren't you musically open enough to see the bands that open for them/that they open for? Eisley really DOES NOT fit nicely into any one genre despite what some of you think, so why should they be limited to playing with "other" indie bands? Who knows, you might actually like a band that is out of your musical comfort zone.

Yes, a tour with Arcade Fire would be nice, but one of the great things about going to shows is getting to hear a band that you otherwise wouldn't get to hear. This is the way I found out about Eisley, I saw them at a SWITCHFOOT show... that's right, I saw them as a supporting act for a band that isn't even close to being considered "indie". If it weren't for that show, I wouldn't have realized what an awesome band I had been missing out on... I wouldn't even be a part of this forum ( Shocked ).

So my point is, let Eisley do their thing, because people who listen to all different types of genres (and not just indie) deserve to hear their music.

King Gallon: "You used Oswald to fight Darkova!? Let's see you try to get the good ending now!"
Joined: 26 Feb 2006 | Posts: 914 | Location: I'm not here, this isn't happening
nevernever
Laughing Citizen

Kappa962 wrote:

the shins
the decemberists
page france

if there ever existed a show that included eisley and the shins together... i'm pretty sure i would die of sheer bliss
Joined: 10 Nov 2005 | Posts: 1692 | Location: orange county, ca
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Terebinthia
Vintage Newbie

nevernever wrote:

if there ever existed a show that included eisley and the shins together... i'm pretty sure i would die of sheer bliss

As would I.

Laughing

Commentary on creepy online men who use fake photos of girly Fabiosos to get the ladies:

"The longer my hair gets, the more sexy I have" - Jamie M.
Joined: 10 Jan 2005 | Posts: 3967 | Location: In between here and there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
homesick_alien
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:

Like eisley fans who are never happy with bands eisley tour with? Wink

Sea Post King

kuhlmun wrote:

"We want Eisley to tour with "other" indie bands" is pretty much the underlying statement most of the people are saying who are opposed to them touring with the likes of Ok Go, The Fray, etc.

Not really. That's not what I said anyway. But I didn't read the entire thread closely, so I could be guilty of missing other people's points.

I didn't mean what I said as a snobby comment. I meant it as certain bands mesh better with other bands because of their audiences.....it doesn't really matter. None of us have any control over who anyone tours with.
dont_panic
Vintage Newbie

Terebinthia wrote:
nevernever wrote:

As would I.

Laughing

i would be in heaven.

i am too broke to pay to see eisley open for a band i don't like. i think that's the problem i have with who they've been opening for lately. i really want to see eisley, but i can't justify paying the majority of my money to a band i don't like.

crusso
Sea Post King

RockerChick wrote:
madcat2089 wrote:
RockerChick wrote:
Laughing AGHHHH they tour with such god awful bands! Shocked

The label must not know what to classify them as. They must not understand the audience. Cause this is LOUSY.

hahaha are you kidding me? please tell me that's sarcasm. SURE, I'm not a fan of any of the bands exactly, but come on - it's pretty obvious that the Fray an OK GO have EXPLODED in the last year with the Fray's (basically) one hit wonder (shoot me for saying it) and OK GO's taking-over-the-world-insanely-creative music videos. Even if Eisley doesn't fit the "genres," they fit in perfectly with the other bands considering the fact that they too are becoming more popular every day. And it's not like they're going to be spending month after month on this tour - it's less than 2 weeks of shows. Shoot me for saying this as well, but this tour isn't for us, the fans. It's for the millions of people that NEED to hear Eisley, ESPECIALLY after this new album comes out. To me, that's just as good as Eisley headling with the best indie bands around because it's tours like those that can do the band absolute wonders.

Ohhhh fine. I guess it's good exposure. But why expose them to an audience that's not the same "genre"? Shouldn't you be exposing them to an Eisley-esque market? The target market? I mean, hypothetically, the fray and eisley sound really different, so why would the fray's fans like eisley? (And the other way around.) I understand they're not exclusive and that there's some crossover...but....I don't know. Seems weird to me. Like you would never put...Beyonce on tour with the Rolling Stones right? Because they have different audiences. I just don't think they understand Eisley's audience. They're trying to reach too many people...and if they narrowed it down I'd bet they'd have more success. That's all.

I think it's pretty common that they mix bands that have different, but not off the wall different (like your Beyonce/Rolling Stones example) audiences to expose them to other markets. I went to a Steely Dan concert a few years ago in Ohio, and Dream Theater opened for them. Talk about a bizarre combination. A progressive rock band, which appeals more to the younger Y generation(20ish age range) opening for an 70's classic rock band which appeals a lot more to the parents of the Y generation(40+).
I think some of the older people there were a little confused at the music Dream Theater played, but I actually liked them better than I did Steely Dan.

The same could happen with the Fray and Eisley. Eisley puts out such a unique type of music that I wouldn't be surprised if they gained a significant fanbase from this small tour.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>