Laughing City
ks1990
Lost at Forum

oliez wrote:
I've been thinking about this for a while...

The Fire Kites EP has been out for over 1/2 a year now...and as "up on the curve" Eisley wants to be on releasing new material...Ambulance and The Valley (as great as both songs are) have been out for too long to include on a full length album in the current "music scene". To include them on a physical album just because they're done doesn't do anything for music critics/fans/overall music enthusiasts (especially those who have kept up with the band).

I agree that the inclusion of the EP songs on Room Noises didn't help the overall sound of the album and I would think the band would agree given their current and past hesitation to play most of the EP songs (Telescope Eyes and Marvelous Things) during tour dates. The new mixes were interesting, but it didn't add to anything to what we/the audience wanted/needed to hear from the then "new Eisley". I promise I will quickly skip over the two already "mixed" released songs if they're released on the new album, wanting to listen and embed myself in the new ones.

As much as I've loved and embraced this band, I think it's time thing are thought of/done differently...Let it be known that, for me, Ambulance is my favorite Eisley song. Stacy's voice and lyrics have become something I never expected them to become (as well as Sherri's, although she wasn't as showcased in the EP as much Stacy was). The overall organization of the band has grown farther than I thought was possible for the family. To include Ambulance and The Valley in the next full length release without doing a complete overhaul of the songs (which would be unneeded) would be, as I see, a mistake.

--

That said, I hope the band doesn't make any decision on what they read here and I will always stand behind anything this band does. I believe in their dedication and desire of "real music" and I do hope they release an album this year. If they don't, the songs they've already recorded for the next record could quickly lose their place in their current lives and quickly could be forgotten.

Right now is an interesting time for Eisley.

As far as I'm concerned, Eisley NEEDS to release an album this year (be it digital or physical). Combinations was received very well by critics, magazines and in smaller radio demographics (I heard Invasion many times in Kansas City). As "sweet" as some of the personal stories might be, since then, as far as the industry is concerned, they've dropped off the radar completely. Radio doesn't care that they've gone and got divorced, remarried, married, engaged...They don't care that they've been "taking a break"...They might not even remember.

EISLEY is still a name that most people in the music industry know. I hope the band acts on it before it's too late and they're just known for the minor "hits" they've had or even worse, for the people they've married...

--

My friends (who have only learned of the band post '07, through the band's marriages/relationships) and I have had some interesting conversations on the future of this band...they have potential beyond any other band I've followed. I hope they take advantage of (from what I've seen) an industry who wants to hear more MUSIC from the band Eisley...and hopefully without the influence of "a major".

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

princesstripandfall wrote:
wilsmith wrote:
Puh Lease Confused Rolling Eyes

For all the Room Noises lovers we have in this crew, and 4 of those songs were on the 3rd and 4th EPs we know as Laughing City and Marvelous Things, and I had those for Nearly Two years before Room Noises came out.

Truth be told, don't cut those songs, just make the record longer. Combos was roughly 38 minutes long, My personal taste has found that 45-50 minutes is the album length sweet spot. That's enough room to produce an album long enough to include those 4 plus an album's worth of unheard material. And bear in mind that a disk can hold 79 solid minutes of music... No need to cut, just extend in length Tori Amos style.

There's no need for eyerolling,
did you see my Laughing ?

I just meant, if it came down to Ambulance and The Valley vs. newer material, I'd take the newer. Wow.

Fear not, you were not the target* of my brattitude. that and "Puh Lease" spelled that way is a tip-off that I'm just being stoo-p!d ore sumpten.

Truth be told, (beware, redundancy [and cliches] follows) the truth hurts, the truth will set you free.

*yup, I was reacting to the thought of someone being depressed about the new album, no ill will intended, just redirecting the emoness of it back. I shouldn't be calling people out though, I am not a troll, I am a giant

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

oliez wrote:
To include Ambulance and The Valley in the next full length release without doing a complete overhaul of the songs (which would be unneeded) would be, as I see, a mistake.

Your entire post was thoughtful and seemingly sincere, but ^that point^ is just off the mark, for the following reason:

The majority of music die-hards don't know about these songs, or have had a chance to enjoy them because of how they were released and distributed.
Eisley self releasing for sale on a tour and on-line, publicized primarily to pre-existing fans is not a proper life cycle for material for a national band (indie or major, trendy or not).

Same went for the earlier EPs. You are saying that because the tens of thousands of committed fans are tired of the songs, they shouldn't be easily (legally) available for the 100s of thousands who may enjoy them?

Tell that to all the artists who have had singles spun for nearly a year before they caught on for them and saw major rereleases (we had this discussion here before):

Jewel: Who Will Save Your Soul (out for a year)
The Fray: Cable Car (out for a year)
Plain White Tees: Hey there Delilah (rereleased after being on a previous album)
Chris Isaak: Baby Did a Bad Bad Thing (same as above but 3 or 4 years between the original release and a soundtrack appearance)
Gary Jules: Mad World

There are plenty more, but I am not of mind to dig that deep into recollection to make a point. So just bare in my that the Core Audience isn't the only audience. We are early adopters but we aren't the only fans there are, or that could be. New fans should be able to get this music with minimal hassle and not have to wait til Eisley decides to do a single's compilation, or Best Of to get these songs on a proper release.

On fix would be offering Fire Kites EP as a free download with the purchase of the new LP when it comes out, or selling the cds (I know it was a limited run) online. If they run out of physical cds and don't have ordering more physical inventory, a physical release on the LP is a good thing to offer fans who still like physical media (be it cd or vinyl), be them as part of the sequence or as bonus tracks. Not everybody can/ could make a show or is willing to do business with strangers to get one of those first run physical copies, and the inventory will eventually sell out.

Why So Stingy?

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

Kit wrote:
JBaker wrote:
To be honest, I lost interest in Eisley because it took them so long to put out Combinations.

So long? Two and a half years is practically "rushing it" nowdays. Back in the 60s and 70s, yeah it wasn't unheard of for a band to release a new album every year. But today, a lot of bands wait as long as 4 years or longer to release new material. Eisley's little 2 1/2 year wait was nothing.

What I mean is that we were basically told the album was coming out in a couple months for a year and a half until it finally came out.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^ well that is something altogether different. I remember Trolleywood posts from the LA sessions where there was talk of enough material for a quick follow up record right out the gate. If you take that to heart Combinations took 4 years to come out, and should have come out a year after Room Noises.

For LP three there were 2 time tables for this record hinted at in Trolleywood, fall 09' and February/ Spring 10'. They weren't even strong hints. Add in label subsidiary switches and ultimately departures, and you have game changing events at play.

I think Eisley can pull a Modest Mouse/ Deathcab for Cutie Mid Career blossoming. Sometimes bands forgo the buzz, lay real low, and come with the bang.

grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
^ Free Fiona!!! Surprised

I agree with both of you, and I still hadn't heard the Brion Mixes till I got the Hook Up on the LC last year or so. I believe it was either the Poster from the state directly south of mine, or directly north. Both have good taste, and one had a link to the goods.

It was north. That's why they call me 'Dr. Hook.' Smile I really wish she would make another album. Sigh.

I haven't read all these posts so I'll just chime in that Eisley really oughta release an album this year, if only because Boyd has sworn by Thom Yorke's lazy eye they would. I won't throw a hissy fit if they don't (although I might suffer from pixie dust withdrawl) but postponing further is not a great career move, unless they're planning a major media blitz with some outfit (unlikely.) They should be churning 'em out while they're still young, an approach that will gain them a lot more at this stage than searching for the proper 'timing.'

inorbit
Laughing Citizen

... dunno-
how soon do we think the Axl Rose jokes are going to start flying.

Honestly, a break in continuity with the Warner years might be healthy for a fresher start.

Some of the fanbase they developed during that period will come along, but those are the ones who will still be interested when Eisley resurfaces in the record shops-this time as their real selves.

Some of them probably aren't going to go where Eisley are probably gonna go when they are back to calling more of their own creative shots anyway, because they are really more fans of some of the schlockier cheeze whiz that was produced under the whip of the marketing slime at Warner than of Eisley.

To some extent, growth and success is going to come from building, almost from scratch, the following that WOULD have developed from the inevitable growth of the more natural fan base they had amassed prior to their extended Faustian interlude. Most of the people who are destined to become their throngs of adoring fans at some future point aren't the ones who are yet aware of their existence... so Eisley isn't keeping them waiting.

They should release it when they are ready to release it and when conditions are best for its success. If we're being honest, we know we aren't going anywhere.
SamuraiPunk
Vintage Newbie

I kinda think it's running out of steam. I still love the music but i tend to end up playing alot of newer bands.
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

i'm oddly still excited for the album. though, i really like to know their status with the indie label as well as a release date now. i hope they do release some new bonus demo tracks too

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
SamuraiPunk
Vintage Newbie

I still come back to this page a lot.
golly_sandra
Vintage Newbie

SamuraiPunk wrote:
I kinda think it's running out of steam. I still love the music but i tend to end up playing alot of newer bands.

Yeah, I'm pretty much doing the same. I think it's natural. But, to be honest, I'm growing kind of impatient at the same time. Razz

keithabbott
Sea Post King

Well, I've done my part...I talked to an indie label today about Eisley and shot the guy Boyd's email and vice-versa. If nothing else, they can network.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Lame Idea Alert:

I say we do a Tribute Album: A Tribute to Eisley's Forthcoming LP

Cover the songs fans have heard, songs we wish they'd record for this LP, and make up songs for titles we know of other songs that have been slated for this record.

Those with means to track rhythm parts or Embellishments for others who would like Stings, Bass, Harmony, and Drums can volunteer their talents.

I'll be the bigot to suggest only female singers, and as much harmony as possible (multi-tracked or track passed along digitally to another singer...) to ensure Eisleyness since this is our surrogate LP3 Razz

Who's game???

uncreative
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
Lame Idea Alert:

Cover the songs fans have heard, songs we wish they'd record for this LP, and make up songs for titles we know of other songs that have been slated for this record.

Those with means to track rhythm parts or Embellishments for others who would like Stings, Bass, Harmony, and Drums can volunteer their talents.

I'll be the bigot to suggest only female singers, and as much harmony as possible (multi-tracked or track passed along digitally to another singer...) to ensure Eisleyness since this is our surrogate LP3 Razz

Who's game???

I couldn't contribute (unless you need some clarinet) but that'd be awesome if it actually came together! Haha.
golly_sandra
Vintage Newbie

uncreative wrote:
wilsmith wrote:
Lame Idea Alert:

Who's game???

I couldn't contribute (unless you need some clarinet) but that'd be awesome if it actually came together! Haha.

Because you are uncreative!

Ahaha. Excuse my poor joke. Very Happy Razz