Laughing City
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Bad news, guys.

Stacy wrote:
Hey Hannah,

I'm sorry to say that the show will indeed have a strict no cameras policy for the reason being we are filming it for a DVD that will be released later on.
Plus my project isn't finished and hasn't been officially released so I'd like for it to remain unavailable to the public for now. It's a pretty exclusive secretive little show! That's whats so fun about it!!
I am so excited you are going to join us!
Thanks for asking, I super appreciate it:)

See you Saturday!

Sincerely,Stacy.

I would guess that Stacy put the kaibosh on the preview that Jeremy was going to post for the same reason.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kLafied
Laughing Citizen

Saellys wrote:
Bad news, guys.

Stacy wrote:
Hey Hannah,

I'm sorry to say that the show will indeed have a strict no cameras policy for the reason being we are filming it for a DVD that will be released later on.
Plus my project isn't finished and hasn't been officially released so I'd like for it to remain unavailable to the public for now. It's a pretty exclusive secretive little show! That's whats so fun about it!!

See you Saturday!

Sincerely,Stacy.

I would guess that Stacy put the kaibosh on the preview that Jeremy was going to post for the same reason.

Noooooo, I was so excited to see videos, who knows when the DVD will come out Sad

Well, those of you who go can just tell us how amazing it was... Confused

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

part of me is seriously doing this Twisted Evil Razz Laughing right now.

But seriously, PROPS to Hannah for being discrete and respectful and asking directly Well ahead of time. That's how it should be done. Now she knows we care, and that goes a long way towards motivating a project towards completion.

Do let us know if she busts out in a freestyle rap or something buckwild though Wink

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Kylee Janai
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:

Do let us know if she busts out in a freestyle rap or something buckwild though Wink

Ahhh haha I'd love to see that! Laughing
oathmeal
Sea Post King

I may decide to drive 8 hours or so to attend this show now. Very Happy
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

I just hope her portion of the DVD is substantial, not just 3-4 songs as "bonus content." Too bad no go but freakin' FANTASTIC that it's going to be professionally recorded.
Unregistered
Laughing Citizen

oathmeal wrote:
I may decide to drive 8 hours or so to attend this show now. Very Happy

YOU SHOULD! -if you can of course... wish i could... it's been on my calendar for a long wile. Sad edit: And once you get there be shure to tell Stacy of your effort to attend; that'll make her happy! Smile

Congratulations
Sea Post King

Saellys wrote:
Bad news, guys.

Stacy wrote:
Hey Hannah,

See you Saturday!

Sincerely,Stacy.

Stacy posted the same thing on FB today. And while I would completely respect her wishes and not shoot pictures or video if I was at the show, I think it's kind of a ridiculous policy at the same time.

I don't think many Eisley/Stacy (or Jeremy Larson) fans would not buy a professionally shot DVD of this show just because they could watch some handheld crowd-shot clips from the same performance on YouTube. And frankly, I think it's a bit silly for both acts to pass up the exposure they could potentially get from online clips like those. I say potentially because you never know what will blow up or go viral. But realistically, we're probably talking about thousands of views, YouTube traffic that a cute cat video would blow past on a random Thursday afternoon.

But it's their show and their material, so it's up to them how to handle camera control.
Joined: 31 Dec 2007 | Posts: 335 | Location: Northern Virginia
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Congratulations wrote:
Saellys wrote:
Bad news, guys.

Stacy wrote:
Hey Hannah,

See you Saturday!

Sincerely,Stacy.

Stacy posted the same thing on FB today. And while I would completely respect her wishes and not shoot pictures or video if I was at the show, I think it's kind of a ridiculous policy at the same time.

I don't think many Eisley/Stacy fans would not buy a professionally shot DVD of this show just because they could watch some handheld crowd-shot clips from the same performance on YouTube. And frankly, I think it's a bit silly for both acts to pass up the exposure they could potentially get from online clips like those. I say potentially because you never know what will blow up or go viral. But realistically, we're probably talking about thousands of views, YouTube traffic that a cute cat video would blow past on a random Thursday afternoon.

But it's their show and their material, so it's up to them how to handle camera control.
I love Stacy, but there's no way I'm buying that DVD. I'll wait until someone rips it. So, as bummed as I am to not be able to see this for some time, I think it's probably in her best interest to try and get what she can from it. Also, I think it also has to do with the fact her project is not completed.
Congratulations
Sea Post King

tahruh wrote:
I love Stacy, but there's no way I'm buying that DVD. I'll wait until someone rips it. So, as bummed as I am to not be able to see this for some time, I think it's probably in her best interest to try and get what she can from it. Also, I think it also has to do with the fact her project is not completed.

Interesting, so it sounds like you think that Stacy should hold out for whatever money she can get from this show, but you're not willing to spend any of yours towards that end? I don't follow that. How much will this DVD cost, $20?

But that's kind of what I was getting at. I think that people either will or won't buy this DVD. Some of them will, because they want to spend the money and support smaller acts like these. And some (no offense) will just pirate it, or not bother at all. I could be wrong, but I don't think that amature clips from this show on YouTube would sway either of those two groups from doing what they were planning on originally. You said yourself that there's no way you're buying it.

And I get that Stacy's project isn't finished, but it's not like video from this show would be broadcast worldwide. Right now the most popular Jeremy Larson clip on YouTube has ~45K views and Stacy's Silverspring clip has ~64K. I really dig that song, but in the YouTube world that's not many views. And if they're really that worried about footage, then they could just say no video.
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Congratulations wrote:

Interesting, so it sounds like you think that Stacy should hold out for whatever money she can get from this show, but you're not willing to spend any of yours towards that end? I don't follow that. How much will this DVD cost, $20?

But that's kind of what I was getting at. I think that people either will or won't buy this DVD. Some of them will, because they want to spend the money and support smaller acts like these. And some (no offense) will just pirate it, or not bother at all. I could be wrong, but I don't think that amature clips from this show on YouTube would sway either of those two groups from doing what they were planning on originally. You said yourself that there's no way you're buying it.

And I get that Stacy's project isn't finished, but it's not like video from this show would be broadcast worldwide. Right now the most popular Jeremy Larson clip on YouTube has ~45K views and Stacy's Silverspring clip has ~64K. I really dig that song, but in the YouTube world that's not many views. And if they're really that worried about footage, then they could just say no video.
"I don't think many Eisley/Stacy fans would not buy a professionally shot DVD of this show just because they could watch some handheld crowd-shot clips from the same performance on YouTube." -- I was simply stating that I'm not going to buy it, either way, but that I think it would be of interest to withhold as much as she sees fit for at least initial sales. But I understand where you're coming from, as thousands of views in Youtube's world constitute as microfame, and that currently, this project is an even smaller blip on the radar. Still, I don't think it's as clear-cut as you're making it out to be. Of course there's the fanatics who will buy it regardless, and the people like me, who don't necessarily need physical items and have no qualms about 'the times', but there's surely a percentage that could be swayed. And yes, I'm advocating that she 'gets money', just not mine... I can't really think of anything to defend that, at the moment. Laughing

But back to the point: I think plenty of people could be deterred by "amateur footage," (which can be pretty high in quality these days) by either growing tired of it, or not feeling the enhanced quality really matters in the end, so I understand and support it as a precaution.

Also, since when is $20 considered pocket change? Even though I hardly think it will cost $20. But that's not even the point (it's 2011, my contribution to Eisley's album and eventually her record [and would-have-been upcoming show, if it weren't a part of one of the worst festivals of all time] feels like more than enough to me, for now).
Congratulations
Sea Post King

tahruh wrote:
But back to the point: I think plenty of people could be deterred by "amateur footage," (which can be pretty high in quality these days) by either growing tired of it, or not feeling the enhanced quality really matters in the end, so I understand and support it as a precaution.

Also, since when is $20 considered pocket change? Even though I hardly think it will cost $20. But that's not even the point (it's 2011, my contribution to Eisley's album and eventually her record [and would-have-been upcoming show, if it weren't a part of one of the worst festivals of all time] feels like more than enough to me, for now).

Yes, $20 is $20, and we don't know how much the DVD will be. So I shouldn't have mentioned dollar amounts.

You may be right about people being deterred, and you bring up an interesting point about quality. Especially if "professionally filmed" turns out to be someone shooting with prosumer-level video equipment. I'd think the biggest difference from something crowd-shot would be access to the sound board. But Stacy and Mr. Larson have obviously thought this through and agree with you. I'm sure they're not putting this policy in place just to be mean. Smile

I still think they have more to gain than lose by letting people bring cameras, but it's their gig and their call.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

I respect any artist who wants as much control as possible over how brand new songs get released to the general public. What I got from her message is that this is less about making money off the DVD and more about quality control. Stacy is obviously very protective of these new songs, and doesn't want someone's first impression of them to be crappy phonecam footage, or even decent pocketcam HD video. She has a certain amount of control over the quality of her performance (and we all know it will be stellar), and if by instituting a no cameras policy she feels like she has more control, then more power to her. For my part, I'm glad I'll get to sit back and enjoy the show, rather than being stuck behind my camera.

As for the DVD, I'm betting there will be a deluxe edition of Jeremy's CD (and quite possibly Stacy's too, when it's released) that will come bundled with the DVD, rather than selling it separately for however much.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

^
...which strikes me as consistent with what we've seen in the past.

And I can't fault her... Its not just relentless perfectionism (although there's probably some of that too)- she knows that as a solo artist she is going to be judged for life on the first output anyone hears (fair or not).
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

She's also likely once bitten, twice shy over her demos and The Baby leaking. Nobody knows better than Eisley how important a first impression is--around the time Combinations was released, there was an awful lot of "This doesn't sound like the demo version at all!" and "What happened to 'Lady Get Away'?" Wink

I thought about recording audio at the show, just so I have something to listen to later, but I don't think I will. I don't have recording equipment that is both portable and high quality, and until I can have a recording that Stacy approves and sanctions, I'd rather just have memories.

Smokemonster

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>