Laughing City
gRegor
the gEek

I found this to be humorous, particularly the sole comment at the bottom:

"This person has a BOOK of reviews? Amazing..."

ali
since 1979

i don't think it's the opinion of this guy that irritates me, it's the artless coloring of his article with irrelevant religious and political (mis)information. it likely shaped his opinion of the band long before he heard the album.
ali
since 1979

gRegor wrote:
I found this to be humorous, particularly the sole comment at the bottom:

"This person has a BOOK of reviews? Amazing..."

that was funny Laughing

Paranoid Android v2.0
Vintage Newbie

It's not as terrible as the previous. At least they were able to recognize Stacy and Sherri's voices as being 'angelic'.

This is MYSPACE
Gee, Blog
Joined: 29 Oct 2003 | Posts: 4250 | Location: Up here in Connecticut
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
homesick_alien
Vintage Newbie

ali wrote:
i don't think it's the opinion of this guy that irritates me, it's the artless coloring of his article with irrelevant religious and political (mis)information. it likely shaped his opinion of the band long before he heard the album.

I bet i know the reason why. I bet he had 20 or so promo albums dumped on his desk at once.He was too lazy to give them all a spin so he went through the archives at RS and found that other dull review and just fed his comments off that as he played a few bits and pieces of the album as opposed to listening to it.

Todays lazy journalism at its finest

Golly, Poster

Forget Hilary Duff: this youthful small-town Texas quintet of polite, pretty Christian siblings (and one best buddy) should have performed at W.'s reinauguration. The slo-mo pop songs on Eisley's full-length debut were written around the angelic voices of Sherri and Stacy DuPree, which intertwine in melancholy harmonies that grow more cloying as Room Noises passes. Outfitted with soft piano and sparkling guitars, "Marvelous Things" and "Lost at Sea" conjure a teenage neverland where everyone is sad and beautiful, and punk never existed. Elsewhere, "Brightly Wound" and "One Day I Slowly Floated Away" make prominent use of the verb "shall." Room Noises has some encouraging, lovely moments, but Eisley have yet to prove that they're anything more than a killer talent-show entry.
"CHRISTIAN HOARD (Posted Feb 24, 2005)"

Does that mean we can't complain about his review for another 13 days, since technically it hasn't been posted yet? And what if I don't want to forget Hilary Duff? I'm tired of these reviews telling me what to do!

gRegor
the gEek

Indeed. Boyd's been time-travelling, too.. posting news on the front page... tomorrow.

That's what happens when you work as fast as that man does. yikes!

Noodler
Sea Post King

I wrote this shortly after hearing Room Noises for the first time:

Pre-release/Eisley: Room Noises

The elite music media will find itself in quite a pickle when it comes to reviewing Room Noises.

Eisley embodies everything this illuminated bunch seems to hate: It is a bonified and bonded red state white-bread Christian home schooled, big label pretty-pop family band.

At first glance, based on provenance, Eisley is a throw- away, a tired joke. Easy to dismiss, easier to poke fun at.

At a first listen, however- well, therein lies the dilemma.

Room Noises is a gift. Frighteningly good. Not a single skip song on the entire CD. Impossible to have a favorite. This is a recording in the classical tradition. The songs are put together like acts in a play. They introduce each other. This album is a single piece of art. Every song is thematic in a creeping-into-your-mind kind of way, unbidden but not unwanted. It is background music for just about every emotion, every mindset, every event in a life fully lived. It is (oxymoronically?) infused with darkly fun teen-spirit.

Their audience will not only be the market-researched targeted demographic, it will also be the audience that is inherently hostile to their ever-changing genre labels. (alternative rock?, pop? Indie pop rock emo?- whatever.)

The whole Texas-Christian-Kiddie thing? That’s the really big joke on the elite. These guys are beyond smart, beyond educated, beyond any labels. They are genetically superior to any Harvard graduate I know. They are also wickedly funny, know more about music than probably most critics, and they have a work ethic and value system that certainly shames me. Their values are at the center of their musical identity. They respect their art and their audience.

My question is this. Will uber media super stars actually listen and put their bias aside and give these kids a fair listen or will they hate Eisley because they hate George Bush?

They should, or they will be looking like fools within a very short period of time. There will be a lot crow eaten and quite a few ‘Upon second look’ columns written.
The_Sympt0m
Vintage Newbie

homesick_alien wrote:
lloydobler wrote:
who wants to start a band called christian hoard?
any takers?

LMAO Laughing

I'm not sure why everyone gets so wound up at every bad review the band gets.As stupid and pathetic as we think their opinions may be they are in fact just that...opinions.Not everyone is going to like eisley,not everyone is going to appreciate the things that we see in the band.We should just learn to live with it and continue to share eisleys music with people who do appreciate it.

Rolling stone may sell X million amount of copies but there is NO stronger way of advertising as word of mouth so as long as we keep telling friends/going to eisley shows/buying merch and wearing it around town there will be much more people seeing what we see in the band than there will be agreeing with rolling stone magazine.

the reason people get wound up is because there are people out there who read this and take it to heart, there are people out there who will now NOT buy the album, and they WONT listen to it to make up their own mind. They'll figure it's crap and they wont bother giving it a chance.

-ben

PS™ a lot of people here just want everyone to know eisley, and see these bad reviews as road blocks, because people dont see through them at all.

the gEek

Noodler wrote:

That was a pretty good piece; I liked it.

"They are genetically superior to any Harvard graduate I know." kind of made me laugh, then wonder.. how many Harvard graduates do you know? Smile

boone
Vintage Newbie

I do think it's irresponsible for the reviewer to assume the band's affiliations because of their religion and location. Just because they're religious Texans doesn't mean they're Republican; if they are Republican, that doesn't necessarily mean they're strongly pro-Bush; if they are pro-Bush, that doesn't mean they'd publicly rally for him; and even if they did, that has no bearing on either their music, or who they are as people. It could be seen as libel if it weren't so silly, just on the fact that it comes out so mailiciously.

My opinion is, though, is that this review is ultimately pointless, and seems like such a waste of space. It's full of vapid backhanded compliments (calling Sherri and Stacy's harmonies a kind of glurge...as if saying that good vocals are annoying), with nary a discussion on the album itself, or the songs therein. The space could have been used for something constructive, like praising the next big thing that they accidentally reamed last month. Or maybe just random nonsensical phrases.

Noodler
Sea Post King

gRegor wrote:
Noodler wrote:

That was a pretty good piece; I liked it.

"They are genetically superior to any Harvard graduate I know." kind of made me laugh, then wonder.. how many Harvard graduates do you know? Smile

monkeywrench
Sea Post King

this IS the music business we are talking about. bad reviews are apart of it.
homesick_alien
Vintage Newbie

The_Sympt0m wrote:

the reason people get wound up is because there are people out there who read this and take it to heart, there are people out there who will now NOT buy the album, and they WONT listen to it to make up their own mind. They'll figure it's crap and they wont bother giving it a chance.

-ben

PS™ a lot of people here just want everyone to know eisley, and see these bad reviews as road blocks, because people dont see through them at all.

sorry ben but thats garbage.I don't know of a single person who would take a rolling stone review so seriously it would turn them off hearing a band and what kind of music fan are they if they take rolling stones advice as concrete truth?

Golly, Poster

Meh. Lame.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>