Laughing City
jdstories
Vintage Newbie

Grandpaturtle, we truly are sad creatures.

Kspice wrote:
You know what I noticed, this is not really scientific or anything. But I have these 4 friends have either A. Divorced parents and live with their mother, or B. A dead father, and all these friends, hate Eisley, like seriously, every time I mention Eisley they get offended or something (Note they all love the heavy rock/scream stuff. And then I have these two friends who love Eisley, and their parents are still together. I don't know, maybe people who don't like Eisely are insecure? Or maybe people who DO like Eisley, just have TRUE taste in music?

Well you are right about one thing: that was not scientific. I am a huge fan, and though my parents aren't split, I firmly believe they should be. Anyways, I am attracted to any music that is truly creative, which is a huge factor for my love of Eisley and Opposite Day, and why I don't like cookie-cutter popular music of these recent years. I am also disdainful of remakes (this does not include an artist remaking their own songs, which I view as refining), with few exceptions, since it shows an obvious lack of creativity. In fact, there is not a single style of music that I won't listen to, as long as it is creative. Of course, anyone open to the experience realizes that Eisley is special.

Also, it is not always appropriate to introduce Eisley to Eisley virgins. I know that if I am doing physical work I may be more inclined to listen to Led Zeppelin, or Soundgarden. If I am studying I be more inclined to listen to Mozart. If I am being creative I will probably listen to Eisley.

JD

chasd00
it's pronounced "chasdew"

my parents are divorced and i like eisley though i had been living on my own for 7 or 8 year before i first heard eisley so that may not be relevent anymore. I like heavier bands as well as eisley such as Tool, Deftones, and Rage against the machine. I was mosly attracted to sherri's singing on the ep1 version of telescope eyes. that's what got me interested in wanting to hear more eisley and turned me into a fan. Also, here in dallas at least no one was doing what they were doing. No local band came close to their sound so it was refreshing. Also, chauntelle being a female guitarist sparked a lot of interest around here. (she won the Dallas Observer's best guitarist award for 2004 )
Skabro1005
Golly, Poster

granpaturtle wrote:
i've learned this lesson:

if you want to get guys to listen to Eisley, step one, show them pics of the band...i'm dead serious.
that's how i introduce Eisley to a lot of my WMUC co-workers that are male, and they are becoming fans slowly but surely. They find out hot chicks are playing instruments, and they start to wonder what's going on. It piques their curiosity.
Now i don't ALWAYS do this, but when i really think about it, that's how i became interested in the band (i saw the marvy things video with no sound Laughing ) so it's an effective strategy

Haha. I think he is right. One of the reasons I only gave Eisley a try was because I thought Stacy was super cute. Then I got really into the music and saw them in concert. Now I am completely obsessed with Eisley. Thats what made this guy an Eisley fan. Alright, I hope that helps.

Skabro Mr. Green

i spit out a flury of rude language at garron like, "UGH!....DUMMY!" he flips out and crys for the next couple of hours, then we stop at subway my favorite restaurant and buy him a sub and things are cool now.

You will be greatly missed Jonathon David Wilson. Great bassist, great guy.

*caution*
*Myspace-caution*
Joined: 25 Jan 2005 | Posts: 931 | Location: Where I currently am.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Eclectic Gypsy
Sea Post King

Kspice wrote:
You know what I noticed, this is not really scientific or anything. But I have these 4 friends have either A. Divorced parents and live with their mother, or B. A dead father, and all these friends, hate Eisley, like seriously, every time I mention Eisley they get offended or something (Note they all love the heavy rock/scream stuff. And then I have these two friends who love Eisley, and their parents are still together. I don't know, maybe people who don't like Eisely are insecure? Or maybe people who DO like Eisley, just have TRUE taste in music?

i totally disagree with this theory... a sliver of my personal life - While I was growing up my father was allways verbally and physically abusive to my mother, my two sisters, and myself. During my highschool era they would seperate and get back together. I discovered Eisley my senior year in highschool 2002, and have been listening ever since. My parents divorced in the fall 2003. I guess my point is that even though I had a gloomy childhood, I did not turn out to be a heavy rock/scream stuff music fan or a person of those sorts. Now why people like Eisley music, I have no clue. I think it's just part of your makeup. If your a artsy, wierd, child at heart person, that is in love with great poetic lyrics; then Eisley is for you. If not then, they are not for you. That or they are too afraid to try something new...or maybe I like the band, cause it's as if they grew up in my backyard, and I could retreat to them during my bad times. I know they have both musically, and as people - though they don't know me personally - have helped me through my grey days/years, and continue to do so. GOD BLESS EISLEY

rmlawrence
Vintage Newbie

granpaturtle wrote:

if you want to get guys to listen to Eisley, step one, show them pics of the band...i'm dead serious.
that's how i introduce Eisley to a lot of my WMUC co-workers that are male, and they are becoming fans slowly but surely. They find out hot chicks are playing instruments, and they start to wonder what's going on. It piques their curiosity.
Now i don't ALWAYS do this, but when i really think about it, that's how i became interested in the band (i saw the marvy things video with no sound Laughing ) so it's an effective strategy

See... I"m telling you... guys want to be guys. If you show a guy a picture FIRST... they can always fall back onto the excuse that they're interested because there are hot chicks. That makes it OK. Fellas, you're so predictable and slimy.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Mars Volta
Sea Post King

They're beautiful.

First high note on 'I Wasn't Prepared' gets me every time.

Sea Post King

their amazing voices
Lost at Forum

jdstories wrote:
Grandpaturtle, we truly are sad creatures.
Also, it is not always appropriate to introduce Eisley to Eisley virgins. I know that if I am doing physical work I may be more inclined to listen to Led Zeppelin, or Soundgarden. If I am studying I be more inclined to listen to Mozart. If I am being creative I will probably listen to Eisley.
JD

That's a good point. It really was not the best environment for this type of music.
Later on we unplugged the cd player and retreated to the dressing room/toolshed sort of place because we had to sort through boxes of screws and tools. That was a much better, quieter sort of activity and atmosphere for it.

But out in the open while people are building things (and especially with no introduction or explanation) I guess that can't be expected to go over well. People (guys) want adrenaline pumping music while working.

I will have to try the picture-thing. I am sure it will help. That was one of the first things I mentioned to my brother (about beautiful wonderful girls/siblings playing music and then linked the MT video). And it sure sucked him in immediately.

On a side note, here's one sort of cool experience during this whole Eisley-playing fiasco. At one point me and a few others were instructed to look for some wood in our storage area under the stage. It's quite dark and musky down there, with dead bugs and cobwebs, and you have to crawl in because it's quite low lying. Even when you get fully inside you can never quite sit up. Just as we were climbing in, flashlights in hand, Marvelous Things started playing. It was awesome atmosphere music, filtering dully into our little beneath-the-stage-cave. It was quite magical actually. Thinking of "bats with butterfly wings" and humming along. We all sang the "ahhhh"s at the end.
It was just pretty perfect.
phoenixdown
Vintage Newbie

I think three of the distingushing elements of Eisley's music are

beauty,
imagination, and
innocence.

Some guys are comfortable with taking those things for what they are, others aren't (the manly types).
bts
Golly, Poster

There are a lot of things to look at here. For the first example, I think guys the care too much about what other guys think about them. Those people make comments to sound cool or tough. I don't think it means anything. They're probably just anxious cuz they like it and don't feel comfortable enjoying it around other guys.

But I think the reason more guys like Eisley is because guys tend to go out of their way to find things they like. (More males have actually heard Eisley) There are a lot of open minded guys out there and combine that with the male "hunt things down" instinct -- there ya go. Girls don't have any outside pressure of someone saying "You like this? You must be gay!" or anything like that. They'll usually be honest. But if I had to guesss, it's probably about even regarding girls and guys that have heard the band, that also like the band. Whether they admit it or not is a different story.

Now if you excuse me, I have to get to the gym and build up my muscles.

cryptictonight
Lost at Forum

My dad just walked in and goes.
"I like it. Who is this?"
"Eisley"
"And where is it from?"
"Uh..Texas?"
"No, the word Eisley."
"Ohhh Star Wars. You know Mos Eisley"
"Hmm, I like it"
And then he walked back out.

Score!

I figured my dad would be the most likely to enjoy it. He is very very open to music and takes a lot of the things I like into consideration. My mom..on the other hand.. is stuck in past decades. She's not much a of a life-long listener. Shame.
And my brothers still at home...well I just don't know.

Anyone else try to get family memebers interested?
spacepiggyalpha
Golly, Poster

rmlawrence wrote:
granpaturtle wrote:

See... I"m telling you... guys want to be guys. If you show a guy a picture FIRST... they can always fall back onto the excuse that they're interested because there are hot chicks. That makes it OK. Fellas, you're so predictable and slimy.

Ouch. My pride.
jdstories
Vintage Newbie

phoenixdown wrote:
Some guys are comfortable with taking those things for what they are, others aren't (the manly types).

Hey! Are you saying I'm not manly?! Just kidding.

I don't feel like men and women are that different, at all. I have a 19 y/o niece who would never listen to Eisley simply because it is not mainstream enough. She only has the capacity to like what her friends like. The joke is that I will never be as cool as her, but the truth is I am just not into trends. To be into trends you almost have to be concerned about what everyone else thinks. I don't think Eisley is trendy. Eisley is already a classic.

JD

P.S. I am not slimy! Unless my allergies are acting up.

pinkcamel
Sea Post King

fairies dressed in man-clothing..... i have to say.

okay, not.... but that's really strange that a lot of eisley fans are guys. i know that at the trobadour all the people like glued to the edge of the stage were guys.... ( and i was the exception, of course )

golly_valerie
Sea Post King

yeah, i'm kinda surprised that a lotta guys like 'em, too. but hey, that makes eisley that much cooler.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>