Laughing City

What religion/faith are you?
Christian (includes Catholic and Protestant)
57%
 57%  [ 62 ]
Mormon
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Muslim
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
Agnostic
7%
 7%  [ 8 ]
Atheist/Humanist/Existentialist
8%
 8%  [ 9 ]
Eastern (Buddhist, Taoist, New Age, Wiccan, etc.)
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
none/undecided/don't want to answer
12%
 12%  [ 14 ]
other
5%
 5%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 108

Squirly
Vintage Newbie

im kinda a wierd thing.. i dont believe in god in the same sense as christians(more like eastern) but follow most everything else from that area... i do beleive im going to hell though..
Joined: 15 Jan 2004 | Posts: 5464 | Location: Galt, California
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
giant_
Laughing Citizen

I believe in a "higher power" and I know its comforting to belong to a religion (I was a practicing catholic for all my life until a few years ago). So I kinda feel like if I went back my life would contain something it doesnt currently but at the same time I don't believe in alot of what the catholic church teaches, so for now I'm sticking with not being associated with any religion and just trying to be the best person I can be.
librariman
Sea Post King

I kind of agree with the cakebakers...but it is uncomfortably close to deism defined as "one who believes that God exists and that He created the world, but now stands completely aloof from it" also known as the Clockmaker concept I think.

I don't agree that science "disproves" the bible. Science is a way we think about and understand the world around us. Religion is another way we think about and understand the world around us. I think both are equally valid and can't be measured against one another. Otherwise science is the same failure that people make the bible out to be (because it can't explain everything, it appears to contradict itself, it is often wrong when not taken in a greater context, etc.). I consider the bible to be the history of mankind's relationship with God, and in that sense I also believe it infallible. I also believe in the big bang or some similar theory, which will confound anyone who is trying to disprove creationism, but that is probably a bigger debate. I think I seperate in my mind the debate about the existence of a creator from the debate about who the creator is. Meaning I didn't need to believe in a God who made me before I decided that the Judeo-Christian God seemed the most likely description of such an entity.

Umm...I like girls too, but not as a religion. Wink

lostjeremy
Sea Post King

Need to read the book the Case For Christ.
Science actually proves the Bible.
Joined: 09 Aug 2004 | Posts: 189 | Location: Tyler, TX & Mililani, HI
robbie
Vintage Newbie

lostjeremy wrote:
Need to read the book the Case For Christ.
Science actually proves the Bible.

Well, to be fair... Science CAN prove the bible if you want to use it to do so. It can also disprove it if you want to. For something as vague and so often misinterpreted as the bible you can really bend it to make any use out of it that you want. That is probably why there are so many religions (among other reasons), there is no consistency or directness - or at least not enough of it to give a concrete idea of it's purpose. The thing is that humans can bend anything to fortify their own opinions and beliefs if they want to. There's nothing wrong with that, if science is a part of your proof of religion then go with that. Case for Christ is a good book though and it's worth a read whether you believe in god or not. If you can't question your faith or beliefs and come up with an answer then that means you haven't looked hard enough... or that an answer isn't going to be found without further research. Remember, don't rely completely on books, priests, or tradition for answers... you can find your own too (if your beliefs allow that I guess).

To address something just said about science not providing all the answers - The fact is that as young and fragmented as the human race is it would be silly to think that we can possibly find all of the answers that we are looking for - or at least find them anytime soon. We also might have to accept that some of the answers we so often look for don't have answers or at least not one that we want to hear. Science does not provide all of the answers of course, but it strives to find them all the time and someday may give some insight where there are only "I don't Know"s now. Religion, to be fair, also doesn't accurately provide all the answers... it provides quite a few for some people sure, but then you get into the grey areas where most people respond with "well we aren't meant to know yet" or "It's just part of god's plan". To some those are answer enough, but to me those are very similar to the "I don't know" that science provides.
Joined: 17 Jun 2004 | Posts: 2249 | Location: Kansas City, MO
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

i'm so pleased you used the term religion/faith in the title of the poll. I consider myslef Christian and not religious. Religion is a bunch of poo. Faith is completely different Very Happy . i live by the Faith, i do not live by religion.

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
Radical Spike
Sea Post King

TheAntrider wrote:
I believe that God is behind all of that. Existence is a cake. And you have to have ingredients for that cake (atoms, chemicals, elements, etc), and you have to have a process for that cake to be baked (evolution sound familiar?). God is our baker, science is our oven and ingredients. Cakes just don't appear out of nothing.

That may just sound terrible, but I believe it.

Mmmm... Existance has never sounded so delicious...

I love you all truely and sincerely. I bought your album "Room Noises" today and fell in deeper love with you. If you ever want anything from me, whether it be a friendly person to talk to, or a hand to hold, or a band to play in a concert for you. I will be glad to do so.

Your Sincere friend,
Loren
kinz
Sea Post King

TheAntrider wrote:
I believe that God is behind all of that. Existence is a cake. And you have to have ingredients for that cake (atoms, chemicals, elements, etc), and you have to have a process for that cake to be baked (evolution sound familiar?). God is our baker, science is our oven and ingredients. Cakes just don't appear out of nothing.

That may just sound terrible, but I believe it.

indeed

well,being a Muslim,i agree with that completely and wholeheartedly
very well put jamie!im hungry now,thanks for ruining my diet!
erm,hehe,mots of these conversations sound like the ones i had with my formerly atheist husband,who has converted to Islam,God is everywhere around you really,im not really eloquent,so i have a feeling,people will nit pick my argument,but thats how i feel,i dont undersand how some people can go around and not believe that God put us here on earth and stuff
there we go

buffyfreak1234
Sea Post King

hmmm, i'm unitarian which is fancy for 'christian, but really nice and openminded.' not that other relgions, arent, thats not what i'm trying to say at all, but, its just thats what the church is about accepting all people, all faiths, anything. its cool. and the people are super nice Very Happy
Joined: 27 Mar 2004 | Posts: 252 | Location: on the corner of dazed and confused....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
phoenixdown
Vintage Newbie

rottenxbeauty wrote:
you left out Judaism!
it is a major religion ya know

Yeah, but there haven't been any replies from people saying that they're Jewish (unless you're implying that), so hopefully my omission won't skew the statistics much. Confused
Paranoid Android v2.0
Vintage Newbie

The universe has to run correctly. It still needs to be stable. God has to follow some rules to make sure the whole thing doesn't collapse in on itself. Hence, science.

All in all, it's a pretty solid OS.

This is MYSPACE
Gee, Blog
Joined: 29 Oct 2003 | Posts: 4250 | Location: Up here in Connecticut
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
grandmastermagic
Sea Post King

akira_takahashi wrote:
I consider myself Christian, but at the same time I believe in non-christian things, like karma and reincarnation.
So I'm undecided

I my opinion Karma transcends a lot of religons
Do unto Others as you would have them do unto you, for Christians.
The Three Fold Rule for Wiccans.
It goes on
NotSoPunk
Sea Post King

amidthestars wrote:
i believe in Jesus and i'm going to heaven when i die because He died for me & loves me and His blood pays for my sins. (btw, i'm not trying to throw this at anyone... i'm clarifying what kind of christian i am)

I'm Christian. I believe Christianity isn't a reliogeon, its a relationship.
phoenixdown
Vintage Newbie

Paranoid Android v2.0 wrote:
The universe has to run correctly. It still needs to be stable. God has to follow some rules to make sure the whole thing doesn't collapse in on itself. Hence, science.

All in all, it's a pretty solid OS.

It's official: Almighty God uses Unix. Wink
kristina7
Sea Post King

I'm not really any religion... more spiritual than anything.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>