Laughing City
Igaveflowerstostacy
Golly, Poster

so, on pollstar dot com and at the Pink martini website, it says that Pink Martini is playing the same day and same night as Eisley at the 930 club in dc.
are they playing on like a side stage? are they opening for Eisley? or am I just a very confused individual

"I was on tour in the United States back in '89 and we did a show in Cincinnati. During that show I shouted out, 'It's great to be in Cincinnati!' That was a lie."
-David Bowie
Joined: 17 Mar 2005 | Posts: 649 | Location: Gotham City, Tennessee
BNROCKS
Vintage Newbie

there's a 3rd opener for the MA date so i guess this will DC's
atran12
Sea Post King

they play before eisley. there were just booked on the same day. this is why eisley is a late show. darn you pink martini!
ryan fisher
Vintage Newbie

atran12 wrote:
they play before eisley. there were just booked on the same day. this is why eisley is a late show. darn you pink martini!

yeah just to clarify, they're two totally separate shows with separate admission and all. the 930 club does that a lot. in fact, there have been times that they've had 3 shows on the same day!
livewirerach
Sea Post King

ryan fisher wrote:
atran12 wrote:

yeah just to clarify, they're two totally separate shows with separate admission and all. the 930 club does that a lot. in fact, there have been times that they've had 3 shows on the same day!

and let me tell you those are a pain to work! i was there for over 10 hours two weeks ago for a double show, but the triple shows are awful.

granpaturtle
Vintage Newbie

our little 9:30 club...so crazy

rach maybe you could tell me, when is Eisley sound checking? before or after pink martini?

ryan fisher
Vintage Newbie

it's most likely after. i'm just thinking about times i've been there with multiple shows...usually, when the first one's over, everyone scrambles to load everything out, then the acts for the next show load all their stuff in and go for it from there.
granpaturtle
Vintage Newbie

ryan fisher wrote:
it's most likely after. i'm just thinking about times i've been there with multiple shows...usually, when the first one's over, everyone scrambles to load everything out, then the acts for the next show load all their stuff in and go for it from there.

excellant...excelllllannnttt.....*steeples fingers*

jdstories
Vintage Newbie

granpaturtle wrote:

That reminded me of something that happened the other day. I was at an empty bar that is usually full and someone kept asking where are all the people? And you know that thing where people clasp their hands together horizontal to the earth's surface and say "here is the church" then they steeple their two index fingers and say "here is the steeple" etc...well I did the last part, where people say "and here is all the people" and I said "here are all the people."

JD

livewirerach
Sea Post King

granpaturtle wrote:
ryan fisher wrote:

actually, it's usually before. there is sometimes only a half-hour in between when the headliner from one show plays their last song, and when doors open for the second show. it usually takes a LOT longer to clean up a show than this, so it is a mad dash. at the last one i worked, ryan adams sound-checked about 1-2 hours before the first show, but the first show *was* a drag king contest (no actual bands playing). boyd would probably know closer to the actual show when they will soundcheck. however, if they need to soundcheck early, that means they have a good few hours that they probably need to be near 9:30 club but not there, i.e. time for you to hang out with them on u street or the like.

granpaturtle
Vintage Newbie

livewirerach wrote:
granpaturtle wrote:
ryan fisher wrote:

actually, it's usually before. there is sometimes only a half-hour in between when the headliner from one show plays their last song, and when doors open for the second show. it usually takes a LOT longer to clean up a show than this, so it is a mad dash. at the last one i worked, ryan adams sound-checked about 1-2 hours before the first show, but the first show *was* a drag king contest (no actual bands playing). boyd would probably know closer to the actual show when they will soundcheck. however, if they need to soundcheck early, that means they have a good few hours that they probably need to be near 9:30 club but not there, i.e. time for you to hang out with them on u street or the like.

oh U street...sigh...it's a brisk walk to adam's morgan Laughing

livewirerach
Sea Post King

granpaturtle wrote:
livewirerach wrote:
granpaturtle wrote:
ryan fisher wrote:

hahaha. but then you'd miss out on possibly seeing dave grohl at black cat or cafe saint-ex! and ben's chili bowl!

speaking of which, gentrification is WAY FREAKING UP in these neighborhoods. they are starting to build a target/bed bath and beyond/washington sports club later this year by my house, and two huge condo complexes are going up right next to the 9:30 club. man, soon i won't be in the minority anymore....stay away, yuppies, stay away.

granpaturtle
Vintage Newbie

livewirerach wrote:
granpaturtle wrote:
livewirerach wrote:
granpaturtle wrote:
ryan fisher wrote:

hahaha. but then you'd miss out on possibly seeing dave grohl at black cat or cafe saint-ex! and ben's chili bowl!

speaking of which, gentrification is WAY FREAKING UP in these neighborhoods. they are starting to build a target/bed bath and beyond/washington sports club later this year by my house, and two huge condo complexes are going up right next to the 9:30 club. man, soon i won't be in the minority anymore....stay away, yuppies, stay away.

where in god's name are they putting high rises?
the old abandoned warehouses?
that's nuts...its right next to a hospital man...and a music venue...why would a condo go there? that's retarded

livewirerach
Sea Post King

granpaturtle wrote:
livewirerach wrote:
granpaturtle wrote:
livewirerach wrote:
granpaturtle wrote:
ryan fisher wrote:

where in god's name are they putting high rises?
the old abandoned warehouses?
that's nuts...its right next to a hospital man...and a music venue...why would a condo go there? that's retarded

they're on the other side of 9th st/florida ave - some are nearing completion between W and V streets on florida, and in between florida and 9th, where there is a car wash and such, an unused lot and abadoned houses have been almost completely knocked down to make more. INSANE.

don't worry, the warehouse with bullet holes in the windows are still there.

granpaturtle
Vintage Newbie

livewirerach wrote:

don't worry, the warehouse with bullet holes in the windows are still there.

yerssssssssssssss

my favorite part!

i wanna throw rocks at it next time i'm there