34%
 34%  [ 8 ]
I just watched it because Jude Law is hot
17%
 17%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 23

homesick_alien
Vintage Newbie

This started in another thread but I've been wanting to discuss this since I saw this film.

I'm completely open when it comes to any "offensive" content in movies & most of you know my stance on swearing,it doesn't concern me in the slightest but I truly think they went too far with this movie,especially the "online chat" scene and the scene with Larry and Alice in the strip club.It was totally overdone and crude for the sake of being crude & not to help the storyline. The storyline imho was also quite weak as well and jumped all over the place The only thing that saved it was the great acting performances & the Damien Rice song (the blowers daughter) & part of (cold water) in the soundtrack

I know I added two "jokey" answers in the poll but try and give your honest thoughts about the movie

Laughing Citizen

i am going to be honest. i mainly went to see it because jude law is hot and i plan to marry him one day (damn you sienna miller) but also because from the trailers it looked quite good.

i was so dissapointed. the storyline was indeed very weak and it did jump about too much. it was overly crude and i saw this as an attempt to shock people. it didn't shock me. i've heard worse stuff said before. i just found it over the top. there was no need for the crudeness. i saw it with my mum and it was really awkward, even though i'm 21 and quite open about things.

i just don't understand how this film got such brilliant critical aclaim.

it's a pile of crap.
Joined: 22 Dec 2003 | Posts: 1667 | Location: west midlands, england
norad
Vintage Newbie

well i watched it besause i like natile portmans acting, and none of the other reasons on the poll...but i idint like the movie....
chubbygumby

i watched it because natalie portman was in it
i didn't really enjoy the movie though. it was meh.
 |  | 
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

I watched for Jude. I stayed for Clive. I nearly left because of all the crap. What a horrible, completely draining film. I don't see how it could possibly be considered accurate or apt; the twisted relationship situations the characters found themselves in surely could not apply to more than two percent of the world's population.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
homesick_alien
Vintage Newbie

close poll but hardly anybody wants to say why

damn you all Twisted Evil

lol

Vintage Newbie

I've never seen it, but usually when a lot of people are put off by movies I find them more relatable, so who knows.
RhymeloveandMelody
Lost at Forum

I haven't seen it. What exactly is so crude about it?

Joined: 16 Jan 2004 | Posts: 1152 | Location: San Benito, Texas
PsydewaysTears
Sea Post King

The movie sucked. It was not about love. It was about feigning interest in other people while being involved with somebody else at the same time (a.k.a. CHEATERS). If you don't consider yourself the type of person who can relate to two-timing ho-bags... then do yourself a favor and skip the movie "Closer".

P.S. Jude Law's face looks like a gang of farm yard animals bombarded it with their feces in this movie. I don't think he's ever been uglier.

Vintage Newbie

what a nuts movie
so weird...such a lack of music, it makes my whole house settle with an eerie calm...

homesick_alien
Vintage Newbie

out of the serious answers the "I liked it" people are winning but not one single one of them has expanded on why

*curious*

Vintage Newbie

I liked it, because it held nothing back. it was such a bizzare sequence of events, that it seemed entirely possible. People living their lives, as hard as they may be, trying desperately to find love. It was interesting, slightly revealing, and ultimately educational, don't be Jude Law...that's the moral of the story
phoenixdown
Vintage Newbie

I saw it tonight, and... I'm not sure whether I liked it or not. It's a very bleak movie; there's almost no element of happiness to be found anywhere in it at all. Maybe that makes it more real than most movies though, that require some sort of happy ending -- or at least some kind of conclusion to the plot. I don't know.
seethelight
Sea Post King

i love this movie. all the hostility over this film makes me want to watch it again. it's just such a finely produced, written movie. the dialogue is clipped like there's not much to elaborate on. it delivers the characters' feelings in a half hidden way, like you're allowed to guess. i actually think it's not that crude at all. there's hardly any nudity, just natalie's luscious buttcheeks and some pubes from jude law who is not hot in this film. i love the actors in this, they really delved deeply into the roles. julia roberts is lovely, enigmatic form and her close ups are startling. she proved she can be her character and not just be charming and $#@!.
and the break up between anna and larry is one of the best break up scenes ever commited to cinema.

i recommend this film. you're probably gonna hate it if you're inexperienced in the world of betrayal but if you've ever been betrayed or have betrayed someone in a relationship, you're gonna relate to each of the characters.

the question the film poses is also quite unique. to save a relationship or to end one, which do you choose? which do you prefer? secrets or lies. it's a tough decision and i was so happy to only be watching these characters deal with the dillema. Wink
jamiga
Vintage Newbie

Interesting. I work at a movie store and I get to hear all of my customers opinions on movies. I don't recall hearing many on this movie. Maybe I want to see it now