Laughing City
ali
since 1979

i hope this isn't an old question, since i'm new here. i searched the forums, but couldn't really find an answer.

any chance of eisley coming out on vinyl?

boyd
Eisleyoid

that would be amazing. i wonder if you have to be some big, famous band selling millions of records to be able to do that? but, just so you'll know, it's never been discussed. you're the first. and...eisely is all about vinyl. well, i mean, we're getting more and more into it...we have flaming lips and radiohead and coldplay on vinyl. but they all sell bizillions of records. maybe after they sell more than hundreds, it would be feasible.
i can ask management what the issues surrounding this would be...since i know nothing.

"The industrialists never saw the fruit of their own labor - Post Moderism,
which I now proclaim as dead. Their forefathers digital revolutionists,
have accelerated the final resolve by punctuating an end to our chaotic
journey with a new manifesto and a new era: The Age of Meaning."

(manifesto's sold separate)
Welcome: Illuminists
ptah
Sea Post King

Great question to ask!
I'd love to have Eisley on vinyl. I'd love to listen to it, and I'd love to look at the artwork on a larger canvas than cd-size.

"Spin, spin......spin the black circle" - Pearl Jam

P.

www.myspace.com/ptah
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ali
since 1979

i don't think you have to be huge. i went to an all-american rejects (who are relatively small, i think - it was a small show indoors at stubb's) show, and they where selling their album on vinyl at the merch booth for like $10. i thought that was the coolest thing ever.

i've been meaning to get some radiohead on vinyl, but every time i check it at waterloo, the $30 price tag hasn't gone down. ugh, that's a lot to pay for an album. but it's worth it.

theenvycorps
Vintage Newbie

Dude, all punk bands have been putting out 7 in. singles forever. Even local bands all over Iowa (my state, ech) do it. And they certainly aren't as big as Coldplay or Radiohead.

Making vinyl is more of a kitch/collectors thing. My guess is usually the band wants it pressed for the fans who enjoy it. I bet if Eisley brought up they wanted a vinyl pressing of the album, Warner Bros. would do it, but Warner wouldn't do it just on it's own, because in truth it won't sell many additional units than the cd would.

Vinyl is generally more expensive to make than cd, if you figure in the actual pressing, the custom artwork, etc. However, they usually sell for less than cd's (unless it's only by import, RADIOHEAD!!!!).

Really, it's for collectors, or vinyl junkies. But it can lead to more sales, I guess. For instance, I bought the new Radiohead twice, one on cd, one on vinyl.
abductee
Laughing Citizen

yeah i'd totally buy radiohead on vinyl if their albums weren't $30!! grr... it's funny, I look for a miles davis CD and it's $17... but I get the same record on vinyl and it's $11... needless to say all of my miles davis albums are on vinyl, and I wouldn't have it any other way Mr. Green

but yeah i'd totally buy eisley on vinyl... that would be sweet! I love the sound of the needle going accross the record

Joined: 05 Nov 2002 | Posts: 1640 | Location: California....
ilitherian
Vintage Newbie

do they just put a digitally recorded track on vinyl? or do they record it analog and then put it on vinyl? i thought one of the best things about vinyl was it captured the analog recording in its entirety since digital can't... did i just make this up? maybe...

i would buy eisely on vinyl... or on 8-track... or on cassette... speaking of which, is laughing city out on cassette? do they even make casettes anymore? hmmm this interests me...

i actually am growing more fond of vinyl all the time. but all i have on vinyl is my dads old records some of which are awesome. i would like to buy radiohead on vinyl if only for the larger album cover (and the music...) but i don't have a turntable up here at school... so ill just do without for now... ill listen to my digital music that is missing some frequencies... and cry... Crying or Very sad
Jeff
Sea Post King

ilitherian wrote:
do they just put a digitally recorded track on vinyl? or do they record it analog and then put it on vinyl?

It depends on what the label wants to do.
For Coldplays "A Rush of Blood to the head" and Radioheads "The Bends" They cut the stampers straight from their digital masters (usually a DAT Tape). So these are really just simulated analog.
With albums like "OK Computer" and "Kid A" The stampers were cut from the original analog master tapes so they are in true analog.

its really just up to the producer and the mastering engineer as to how to go about it.
If a recording was done in protools there is really no point on transfering it to vinyl because the ambient harmonic frequencies are already missing and therefore the master is already inferior.

I like the CD version of "A Rush of Blood to The Head" better than the vinyl because in the same way that an analog master on an analog medium is more honest than an analog master on a digital medium, a digital master (such as Coldplay) is more honest on a digital medium rather than an analog medium(such as Vinyl.

As far as Eisley on vinyl: it would be nice, but if Eisley is recording on protools, they shouldn't waste their time because it won't make that much of a difference.

boyd
Eisleyoid

i love it when info junkies post because I learn things. thanks theinfocorps and jeff and ali. Also, Dan told me it's quite possible to do. I will find out...more than likely, I'd think they'd be more open to the notion if it were their full length, but hey....

"The industrialists never saw the fruit of their own labor - Post Moderism,
which I now proclaim as dead. Their forefathers digital revolutionists,
have accelerated the final resolve by punctuating an end to our chaotic
journey with a new manifesto and a new era: The Age of Meaning."

(manifesto's sold separate)
Welcome: Illuminists
ilitherian
Vintage Newbie

that would be sweet... eisley on vinyl... and a full length album... hohhhhhhhhhh
lemonadesurprise
Sea Post King

But until then....

You can make your own "vinyl" Eisley cds.

http://www.verbatim.com/products/products.cfm?pro_id=379

Laughing

I found some of those at Wal-Mart for about $10. I think they are rather spiffy. Wink

Unregistered
Laughing Citizen

i saw those lemonade.. it's nice they are Verbatim. Verbatim work well in car stereos. Smile

hey Jeff, do you know if HTTT is true analogue?

Jeff
Sea Post King

Unregistered wrote:

hey Jeff, do you know if HTTT is true analogue?

I'm not sure, but i dont really think so.

keyboardplayer
Golly, Poster

if eisley went to vinyl....that would be awesomeness.

and i would have a better way to listen to my records....my record is hooked through my stereo....i don't think it was meant for that.

sigur ros on vinyl is awesomeness. i got it for me birthday.

Joined: 06 Nov 2002 | Posts: 743 | Location: there are places i remember.....