Laughing City
Daniel Kraft
Sea Post King

You know...I was just studying the genius of Boyd DuPree's cd artwork on the "Laughing City" ep. ...which I do from time to time as a way of self improvement, and I had a funny thought. Looking at how the band each individually strike a pose on the label brought a central "airplane" theme to my mind as though it was planned, yet I'm sure this is not the case. For it must appear differently to every person. To me it looks as though Stacy is directing the plane, Jon has triumphantly landed the plane, Chauntelle is looking for the plane, Sherri is dodging the plane, and Weston is "being the plane". Each pose is characteristic of the band member I think. I would love Boyd's commentary on his artwork Label/Cover etc.... What does it all mean? What are the subtle nuances that we aren't seeing with the naked untrained eye. If this has been discussed in previous posts could someone please direct me to that thread? Also does any one else have any views on the cd art?

My Xangaaaaa...(Ricardo Mantaban)
http://www.xanga.com/Danelectro
Joined: 05 Nov 2002 | Posts: 193 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas
diddlebaum
Sea Post King

Daniel Kraft wrote:
does any one else have any views on the cd art?

I guess I might have a birds eye .... uh... planes eye view, but it would
never top your wonderful flight of fancy. Shocked
Dan'l don't ever change for nobody, hear? what an imagination you have!
jay

And passive aggressiveness.
Daniel Kraft
Sea Post King

Fluke Jay-Walker!!!! No way...it's Jay! You are a better man than I gunga din!
If I would have known you were on this forum I would have seated my boney buns in silence as the real artists spoke and conversed like Chuck Taylor at a shoe-making seminar! People out here in Eisley space probably don't realize that the old Jedi master of Sugar Mountain Hill (aka Jay) is amongst us. Wow! I stand in Awwwwww man you did a great job finishing up our PS40 cd art project. Boyd did us right by steering you our way...I wonder if Boyd will ever take me to school and spank me with his genius brain again. I keep telling him he needs to write a book. Not that people need to be like Boyd because that might "over-saturate the volatile market", and all Boyd posers would fall short of the glory, but the ideas that he has can be implemented in any area of life. His ideas really just help shift limited thinking. I know he got that from God because I really don't think anyone is naturally that smart.
He he he!!!
-Danican fry-wokker

ilitherian
Vintage Newbie

i totally see that... but i always thought chauntelle was the one directing the plane (isn't she on the far left?) its so hard to tell...
Daniel Kraft
Sea Post King

Maybe so Ilitherian. I couldn't tell...thus my point about having a naked untrained eye. My eye is naked!!! AHhhh!! Don't look at my eyes!!!! They're naked!
Maybe Boyd can shed some lights so that we will have a further knowledge of his reasonings. He is the seeing eye dog that leads fish to market. The Pied Piper of paper...the Cassius Clay of canvas...need I continue with such ramblings. I think not. He would probably slip some Iocane powdered donuts in my lunchbox if I set his benchmark any higher. (Boyd stinks, he's no good...he...nahhh...I just can't lie like that.) off the record......."Warts can't subscribe how radicool Boyd is." I just wish I could see his design portfolio. I hear he can do wonders with Skeeter bass boats and Mexican food joints.

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Seeing Boyd's portfolio would be cool. I've seen a handful of Web sites and the Laughing City packaging. Seeing more print work would definitely rule.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Daniel Kraft
Sea Post King

(In the loudest Texas Festus voice I can muster)... "I know I know!!!"
He's no doubt busy brewing some glory right now. We may have to wait until he's dead to see all that he has done in the past because he's always too busy in the present creating some new chapter in his memoir!

Daniel Kraft
Sea Post King

But hey this is the Eisley board not the Boyd board. I forget sometimes. I just admire really good art/music. It's such a Godlike quality that I think is given to man. God must look down from heaven and say.."Awwwww...how cute! That's really good!"

boyd
Eisleyoid

I bet he doesn't think I'm cute. Maybe he thinks my head looks like...well, if you were to walk out onto a field on a hot, summer, Texas afternoon and find a big watermelon by itself....but someone had already smashed it in with their foot...like 2 days before...and it was runny and rotten and there were flys all around...and you just looked and made a gross face. Maybe he doesn't think I look like that, but...he knows my head feels like that.

"The industrialists never saw the fruit of their own labor - Post Moderism,
which I now proclaim as dead. Their forefathers digital revolutionists,
have accelerated the final resolve by punctuating an end to our chaotic
journey with a new manifesto and a new era: The Age of Meaning."

(manifesto's sold separate)
Welcome: Illuminists
lemonadesurprise
Sea Post King

TheAntrider wrote:
Seeing Boyd's portfolio would be cool. I've seen a handful of Web sites and the Laughing City packaging. Seeing more print work would definitely rule.

As you wish:

BOYD DUPREE: Also Appears On

No, I didn't do some of that...imposters...not true...boyd

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Awesome. Thanks

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Daniel Kraft
Sea Post King

Boyd also did our band's cd artwork, but I hesitate to post it only because I wouldn't want it to seem like I was trying to promote our band or anything. Boyd did a great job on the whole design, but he gives more credit to the photographer Courtney Perry who really was super professional. Everyone that sees the cover says, "Wow...nice cover..who did it?" I tell them..."You know that guy who's head looks like a watermelon that got kicked in?....." he he. (God thinks you are cute Boyd!!! I wouldn't be surprised if when we see Jesus that he will have that Boyd DuPree beard face. He knows what it's like to actually have his head kicked in too.) Boyd is so modest about his looks so that when you actually meet him you think...wow...he's cool. I think because he makes you feel like you are cool...even when you are just a redheaded, frecklefaced, skinny buttocked, crooked toothed, Opie Cunningham look-alike kid with big earas.

Daniel Kraft
Sea Post King

Yes...Boyd's Jedi cave for 10 years...
I have had it bookmarked for two of those years. I have studied the 7 team values and I have begun to master the art of 4D envisioning. I want to be a Jedi...I'm not too old to begin the training. I've already learned so much!

dmont01
Golly, Poster

where is everyone seeing this portfolio? am i missing the link or something? help, please!
Unregistered
Laughing Citizen

I always thought stacy was just finishing consuming the airplane. Chewing the last bits of the left wing in pure bliss.