9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 44

loveisachemical
Vintage Newbie

I'm too lazy to download music.
Plus, I like artwork and hardcopies.
I don't even download legal music.

Though, though.. sometimes friends will send me songs/albums they want me to hear via aim. I rarely ask for them though. Only if it's a must have and I've no way of getting at it 'til later. Then my impatients kicks in. I generally always buy a hard copy later on if I can, though.
thesinisterpenguin
Vintage Newbie

this thread has been awesome.

moreofthesame you rock.
ryan fisher
Vintage Newbie

musicians make music, businessmen sell things

i support musicians by listening to music

as ian mackaye said, "you can't sell music because music is free"
granpaturtle
Vintage Newbie

Twnty4Stvns wrote:

I don't mean to be a jerk, I just feel that rationalizing our actions until we come up with an illogical conclusion that seems to suit us enough to continue to do what is wrong, is absurd.

I think that's a perfectly justified stance, and one I agree with.
I steal music...CONSTANTLY... and I'm OK with that. I make no illusions about what I do, yes the major labels are f-tards and all they want is a quick buck, but seriously, just say you stole the damn song people.
Personally I don't care either way, I will steal a physical CD out of a store too, screw it!

On a less sinful note, I haven't really bought a CD in several months however I've gotten more CDs then ever, not because I pirate, but because I work in radio and many free CDs are sent to me from bands I care to hear or the station is sent multiple copies of a CD for...promotion? I guess...and our music director is like "here...have this" I only pirate when I need something quick for one reason or another

MoreOfTheSame
Vintage Newbie

Twnty4Stvns wrote:

Hey, songs are 99 cents a piece on itunes, you don't hafta pay for the entire cd

That's one thing I do have to give credit to Apple for; bringing back the single format. Contrary to some propaganda out there people are willing to pay for individual songs.

Quote:

I think downloading free music is stealing. Like the original post said, you can't walk out of a store with a cd in your hand without paying for it, that's stealing. Taking music that you don't own, tangible or not, is stealing.

While I agree that flat out shoplifting is stealing, it sounds as if you're saying that ANY downloading of music, including free promotions and music offered on label and artist websites, is stealing as well. I'm sorry if I'm nitpicking words, but that's just how I read it.

Quote:

Swapping several gigs of music is stealing because you don't own each other's music.

If this were the case with everything, than would trading books and Pokemon cards and borrowing office supplies be stealing as well?

"I just traded several rare cards with Jimmy for a mint-condition holograpic Charzzard, but technically it's still Jimmy's because he paid for it."

Quote:

It not only sucks for the bands out there that need that money to keep performing and making money, it's illegal. You just can't argue with the law, whether unjust or not. If you think that the law against murder isn't fair, you still cannot murder, or you'll be thrown in jail. The law isn't relative to everybody, it's a standard for every human that walks on american soil. You're question is ridiculous, "how do you justify it?" Basically you're asking, "how do you make something that's wrong be right in your eyes so it doesn't weigh on your conscience?"

While I am not disputing that everyone must live under the law regardless (save for those with diplomatic immunity), you're describing the law in strictly black-and-white terms that have no basis in reality.

Lets continue with your example of the laws against murder. Say a single mother and her two young children are attacked by an intruder who attempts to kidnap her children. While attempting to defend herself and her children, the mother ends up accidently killing her intruder. According to your reasoning given, despite the fact that the mother had potentially saved the lives of her two children, the mother should still be convicted and punished to the fullest extent.

I'm sorry, but not even the laws themselves are written in such a black-and-white manner.

Quote:

A whole lot of people talk about how purchasing the music doesn't help the band in any way, they would get like 9.3 cents a song, or whatever...but if you purchase it, someone has a record of you purchasing it, and it goes toward the general popularity of the album/band. The record company will see how much money they made off of the band, and that gives the band more play, more touring ops, etc, etc....

While it is true that downloading does affect the artist, you make it sound as if the band is completely dependent on the label, and that without their financial backing bands would just wither up and fade into obscurity, and this is just not true. Just within the past fifteen years, there have been countless incidences of bands who have been able to handle their affairs and support a band an a fanbase without any help from labels. A few examples:

-Matthew Good Band's first two albums for Polygram Records Canada were financed entirely by Matthew Good.

-In order to tour the UK in 2002, members of the then unsigned Montreal band Stars took out personal loans in order to finance the tour.

-Nirvana, tired of living in poverty due to the monthly $1,000 paychecks provided by Geffen Records during the recording of Nevermind in 1991, took to selling t-shirts to LA record shops so they could eat something besides corn dogs.

-After being dropped from their record label Creation Records in late 1991, My Bloody Valentine proceeded the schedule and finance FOUR tours through Europe, North America, and even the Pacific Rim without ANY help from record labels or managers. Not only did the band support themselves on tours, but the also sold over 10,000 CDs to wholesale distributors in the UK. The combined moneys allowed the band to live comfortably without any outside assistance well into 1993, when they signed with Island UK.

Yes, bands are quite capable of supporting themselves. And when you consider today that it is possible to record entire albums without the help of big studios and producers, and that releases can be promoted and sold online without the assistance of a record label (a point made earlier in a post you didn't bother to read), it makes the whole idea of the record label being solely responsible for the fate of a band's commercial career rather silly, don't you think?

Quote:

Sorry, I didn't have time to read everyone's mile-long list of 'wrong-making-rightnesses,' but I just thought I'd add the other side...

I don't mean to be a jerk, I just feel that rationalizing our actions until we come up with an illogical conclusion that seems to suit us enough to continue to do what is wrong, is absurd.

Normally I wouldn't have a problem with someone skipping posts (as I do it on occaision as well), but considering that you just automatically assumed that every post was giving a weak defense of downloading and that we are just making excuses to make ourselves feel better without even LISTENING to what any of us had to say on the matter, I can't help but feel insulted, and I would say that you were being a jerk.
Joined: 02 Sep 2003 | Posts: 2455 | Location: Grapevine, TX
Last edited by MoreOfTheSame on Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total
MoreOfTheSame
Vintage Newbie

ryan fisher wrote:
musicians make music, businessmen sell things

i support musicians by listening to music

as ian mackaye said, "you can't sell music because music is free"

Very well said.
MoreOfTheSame
Vintage Newbie

thesinisterpenguin wrote:
this thread has been awesome.

moreofthesame you rock.

Danke! Very Happy
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

im the sea king wrote:
where be this free ep?

Right here!

As for whoever said downloading is stealing before, I have never, ever tried to deny that downloading from a P2P or BitTorrent is stealing. Maybe someone you know has made that case, or tried to justify it by saying the industry deserves it, and yes, that's dumb (though the industry does deserve it--had they adapted to changing technology when they had the chance, this wouldn't be an issue at all). I download music illegally because (for the most part) I can't find it for sale in my city, or can't afford it. Either way, if it's an album I like by an artist I support, I will purchase the album sometime thereafter when the opportunity arises--and if I don't like the album or the artist, I delete it, just like selling back a used CD. If the RIAA had its way, no one would be able to sell their used CDs for money. No one would be able to do anything with their music other than what the industry wants them to do.

Did you know that people who download music for free buy more CDs than people who don't download? That's because we know what we like before we buy it, and we listen to a wider variety than people stuck with the radio and friends' recommendations, so we buy more. Whenever I have the spare cash (not often, lately) it goes towards music: a CD, a live DVD, concert tickets. I know people who spend hundreds every month on music, most of which they discovered by downloading it and listening first. And then the government tries to tell us we're supporting terrorism. We stimulate the economy more than other music fans.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Marie B
Sea Post King

Amen, Saellys.
MoreOfTheSame
Vintage Newbie

Marie B wrote:
Amen, Saellys.

Amen as well.
jdstories
Vintage Newbie

Wasn't there already a HUGE thread on this subject?

Yes, there was.

http://www.eisley.com/laughingcity/viewtopic.php?t=13462&highlight=fil e+sharing

JD

listener
Sea Post King

I agree with Saellys. Without illegal downloading I probably wouldn't know or love music as much as I do now because that's where my music comes from. If I had money I'd stick with CDs but sadly that's not the case. Record companies do put out a lot of crap. It's time for them to get a clue.
giant_
Laughing Citizen

soulseek is the greatest program ever. if i like the album enough after downloading it i will buy it locally from my mom and pop record store. its a win, win.
MoreOfTheSame
Vintage Newbie

giant_ wrote:
soulseek is the greatest program ever. if i like the album enough after downloading it i will buy it locally from my mom and pop record store. its a win, win.

Agreed. *hugs my Soulseek*
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

MoreOfTheSame wrote:
giant_ wrote:

Agreed. *hugs my Soulseek*

I just got Soulseek, and holy crap it's amazing. Very Happy

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address