Laughing City
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

So I completely filled up my camera's memory card with pictures from the Bottleneck show. Most of them are lame because my camera takes horrible low-light pictures, but I'm proud of a few of them. Here's the story, including the better shots.

I left Springfield around noon and drove to Overland Park to pick up Jon (RollingPasture). We arrived in Lawrence at about four thirty and saw Weston and Garron sitting around outside the Bottleneck as we drove by. We wandered about for a bit and then decided to join the only two other people in line at that point. From five thirty until about six thirty, there were four people in line. We are awesome.

Boyd came out to get something from the van and Jon and I shouted, "Hi, Boyd!" until he came over and talked to us. All the times I've attended an Eisley show have involved talking to Boyd at some point, and he is truly the coolest guy. He conversed with us for a good ten minutes about the tour, the next album, the Bottleneck, and so on. It's easy to see where Eisley get their easygoing, friendly personality.

Now for less talk, more pictures.

The venue had all the right letters, just in the wrong places.

From left: Amanda, Desiree, Jon, and me (not pictured) waited patiently for the doors to open.

We could hear the soundcheck from outside and pressed our ears against the glass. The new songs sound amazing. Soon we found that if you stand on the little concrete ridge against the outer wall of the Bottleneck, you can see over the wooden barrier inside the window and get a glimpse of the stage.

This guy fixed the sign. I declared him my hero.

Nora and her dad arrived promptly at seven thirty and we waited the last half hour until doors opened. When we made it inside, we were front and center--the best place I've ever gotten at an Eisley show. The angle was perfect for pictures and could even lean on a nearby monitor when I got tired. The only downside: it was about a hundred and twenty degrees inside the place by the time it got really full. We got ice water before Brighten's set, but of course it was gone way too soon and we didn't want to risk losing our place to get more.

We also bought merchandise before Brighten came on; I got a hoodie and Room Noises on vinyl. Yum.

The inside scoop is that Chauntelle loaned this Tele to Justin from Brighten because all he brought with him on tour was a Squier with puny sound. Further confirmation that Chauntelle is the Nicest Person Ever.

Brighten were very animated.

This left-handed guitarist was amazing.

Between Brighten and Simon Dawes, I noticed this power strip. Quality branding. Watch for these official Eisley power strips, coming this fall to fine electronics stores everywhere.

Nora and I agreed that Simon Dawes' lead singer looks a lot like Colin Farrell, though it's kind of hard to see in this picture.

Blake is an amazing guitarist and consistently had the best poses/expressions. He was fun to photograph.

It was really, really hot. (The Burger King crown was bestowed by Garron about halfway through their set.) Several times I saw sweat drip off of Blake's guitar. Everybody was feeling it that night.

When Simon Dawes finished, the roadies brought out Stacy's Rhodes. This Brighten sticker was actually invisible under the orange stage lights.

Whu--hey, that wasn't there before!

Setlist! As the evening went on I kind of wished I hadn't looked at it in advance. Spontaneity (or the illusion of it) is more fun.

They emerged! The David Hasselhoff song they played when the lights went down was AWESOME. Flashbulbs were popping all over as soon as Eisley took the stage. It was nice to be in a venue that allowed us to take pictures for a change. I'm used to sneaking my camera in and stealthily taking shots whenever I could.

Sherri and a bit o' Garron during "Mr. Pine."

Stacy belts it out.

As close as we were, it was still hard to get good pictures of Chauntelle due to my camera's crappy flash and the fact that she kept moving. This is one of the better ones.

Stacy's hands with the sparkle of Weston's drums.

Sherri: "Don't drink my water." Stacy: "You don't drink my water." Weston: "Can we just play a song?"

Sherri played acoustic guitar on most of the new songs. Here she is trying to figure out if the next one on the list is a capo song or not.

Chauntelle between songs. All three girls had mics, and after every song would come three breathless exclamations of "Thank you!" all in a row. It was so cute.

Sherri conducts the choir on "I Wasn't Prepared." They said we were the best singers on the tour so far.

Stacy's feet, plus sustain pedal.

Sherri's feet, plus guitar rack.

Sherri's hand was getting too sweaty to hold the pick so she asked if anyone had "one of those tennis-player-Avril-Lavigne-wristband things." Somebody tossed her one and it happened to match her shirt. Later she told the guy he could pick anything he wanted from the merch table as his reward.

Stacy grins at the end of a song. She was smiling and laughing a lot during the show, thanks mostly to audience participation in the form of claps, singing along, and general whooping and applause.

Chauntelle plays.

A tired stretch. Chauntelle taught us the Distortion Squat dance in between a couple of the songs, and it was awesome.

Sadly I used up my entire memory card within the first five songs or so (I never put down my camera), so I have nothing of "Just Like We Do," "Trolley Wood," or the rest. Stay tuned for Nora's pictures; I think she got a lot more of the later songs.

Instead of leaving the stage and coming back for the encore, they stayed onstage because they didn't want to make us wait in the heat any longer. They finished the set with "Trolley Wood" and brought almost (?) all the members of the opening bands back onstage. Blake played an awesome guitar part, Justin sat in with Stacy on the Rhodes and Simon Dawes' lead singer played crazy ragtime bits on the Yamaha. Everyone else clapped, snapped, hit stuff, and sang along. They also doused us with cold water before the song, which was great.

After Eisley left the stage people scrambled for setlists. The last one left was about ten feet away from me, but fortunately Jimmy was nearby handing out more water and I asked him to snag it for me. I got it signed and it's my new baby.

I said goodbye to Nora and her dad, dropped Jon back off at his house, and drove home, only to arrive at 5 a.m. just as my parents were getting up and going to work. Then I woke up again at 1 this afternoon and couldn't force myself back to sleep, so here I am. Maybe I should go get something to eat.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
Last edited by Saellys on Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:07 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
oliez
Vintage Newbie

those two girls in the front of the line are Amanda and Desiree.

yeah that isleey thing made me laugh.

oh snap about that orange brighten sticker. I never saw it. Lighting is a wierd thing.

good show. good times.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

oliez wrote:
those two girls in the front of the line are Amanda and Desiree.

Edited accordingly. Thanks! Smile

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Gina
Sea Post King

Quote:

The inside scoop is that Chauntelle loaned this Tele to Justin from Brighten because all he brought with him on tour was a Squier with puny sound. Further confirmation that Chauntelle is the Nicest Person Ever.

Chauntelle actually gave Justin that guitar for keeps. That means she's even nicer than you thought
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Gina wrote:
Quote:

Chauntelle actually gave Justin that guitar for keeps. That means she's even nicer than you thought

That rocks beyond belief. We need to make her a plaque or a trophy or something.

Smokemonster
sleepydusk
Sea Post King

Saellys wrote:

Brighten were very animated.

This word/picture combination was hysterical. I love the second and third Eisley pictures and the one of Stacy smiling. I wish my camera's bad pictures looked like yours!

LeslieAnnLevine
Lost at Forum

Great pics!
Just a lil' question..what kind of camera do you use? The photos were of good quaility, and I'm shopping around for a new one!
Joined: 19 Apr 2004 | Posts: 1219 | Location: here, there, everywhere.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

LeslieAnnLevine wrote:
Great pics!
Just a lil' question..what kind of camera do you use? The photos were of good quaility, and I'm shopping around for a new one!

It's an Olympus D-500, which cost me $150 on sale at Wal-Mart. If you're in the market and you don't have too much to spend, it's a decent camera but I'd recommend springing for a different Olympus, like the C-700 or 750 (which the DuPree girls used for their photos for quite some time). Those are usually on eBay for pretty cheap.

Smokemonster
Connie
Golly, Poster

Those are awesome pictures. Man.. I wish I had a camera so I can take pictures when I go to the concert.

Anyways.. the Isleey picture made me giggle.

Lost at Forum

Saellys wrote:
LeslieAnnLevine wrote:
Great pics!

It's an Olympus D-500, which cost me $150 on sale at Wal-Mart. If you're in the market and you don't have too much to spend, it's a decent camera but I'd recommend springing for a different Olympus, like the C-700 or 750 (which the DuPree girls used for their photos for quite some time). Those are usually on eBay for pretty cheap.
Wow really? I had a pretty decent camera then it broke, so I got a cheapie for the time being (off ebay), and it's complete and utter crap. Yeah, I'll look into Olympus, I'm gonna have around a 300-500$ price range. I aughta be able to get a pretty good one.
Joined: 19 Apr 2004 | Posts: 1219 | Location: here, there, everywhere.
Raquel Spain
Sea Post King

Hey !

Thanks for the pics and the review Smile

Joined: 06 Feb 2006 | Posts: 299 | Location: Barcelona, Spain
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Wow. Seeing all them sweating their butts off, and it was freezing at the Chicago show (outside at least). Strange weather this year. Thanks for sharing these!
kyle
Lost at Forum

Does anyone know where Sherri's skirt is from?
If it's from H&M then I have the same one Very Happy

gregorydymitrowicz
Vintage Newbie

Cool story and pics. I love seeing different tour pics.
Caley
Lost at Forum

Those pictures are fun and amazing! You have great shots there. I bet the entire show was fantastic and very memorable.

Chauntelle is so sweet and nice! Giving away her Tele just proves that even more now.