Laughing City

Are you in favor of the addition of a new, more serious forum?
Yes - I want some place where we can discuss something serious without spam.
33%
 33%  [ 12 ]
No
66%
 66%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 36

RollingPasture
Sea Post King

I'm thinking about contacting who ever runs Laughing City and requesting a new forum for more serious conversations; whenever they're made here they end up covered in spam.

By voting Yes, I hope you also mean 'I will not invade the new forum and dump my spam all over it, too.'

I don't see why anyone would say no. It's not like we have anything to lose.

If there's anyone besides me who thinks this is a good idea, I'll see what can be done.

Vote away.
Joined: 30 Nov 2005 | Posts: 451 | Location: Jolly Old Kansas
RollingPasture
Sea Post King

Why are people voting no..?
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

So will the moderators now have to be "serious police"?
RollingPasture
Sea Post King

No. The only involvement of the moderators will be creating the forum. Other than that I'm hoping those who don't want to take part in anything too serious will just, you know, stay out.
norad
Vintage Newbie

that forum is not needed.
you're too late.
amidthestars
Vintage Newbie

uhh... this isn't an intellectual forum. it's about a band. intellectual and serious discussions are welcomed, as are fun, silly ones, and if you really want a conversation to go on, bump the thread. if people care, they'll comment. it doesn't need another forum.

all your kind, they're coming clean
they shut their eyes
their mess, their scene
Last edited by amidthestars on Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Serious City. No snickering!
norad
Vintage Newbie

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES wrote:

i'll cut you.
RollingPasture
Sea Post King

Quote:
uhh... this isn't an intellectual forum. it's about a band. intellectual and serious discussions are welcomed, as are serious ones, and if you really want a conversation to go on, bump the thread. if people care, they'll comment. it doesn't need another forum.

I'm aware of that. My concern wasn't that a thread wasn't 'going on.' More that they're always dragged down. Was hoping that if we made a new forum that wouldn't happen.

Quote:

Rolling Eyes
Come on, it's not like we'd stick a gun barrel in someone's face if they made a joke. It's just a bit annoying to try to have a conversation and you have fifty other people spamming crap all over the place.

And this place would still be here anyway.

Nevermind, then.
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

In the days of the long long ago... (around fall '04) just about every thread about politics was locked because things got too personal. If my memory serves me correctly, Eisley even thought about shutting the entire forum down because things got that crazy. The admin's added a new clause that said political threads are permitted, but all were advised to use tact. But in reality it only takes one post to turn everything upsidedown. To answer your question, there will be no serious/political forum because that's not what Eisley is about.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
RollingPasture
Sea Post King

Quote:
In the days of the long long ago... (around fall '04) just about every thread about politics was locked because things got too personal. If my memory serves me correctly, Eisley even thought about shutting the entire forum down because things got that crazy. The admin's added a new clause that said political threads are permitted, but all were advised to use tact. But in reality it only takes one post to turn everything upsidedown.

Again, that's why I thought we should make a separate forum; to avoid those things. By posting in the forum you would have already come to point with yourself that you wouldn't start attacking people and you'd respect other people's views while keeping your own civil.

I know Eisley is not about politics; that's why I made this poll before asking it of them.

I could say something like 'Well, Eisley isn't about [list of threads on this forum]' but..
Well, I just did.
Rolling Eyes
Last edited by RollingPasture on Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
amidthestars
Vintage Newbie

RollingPasture wrote:
Quote:
uhh... this isn't an intellectual forum. it's about a band. intellectual and serious discussions are welcomed, as are serious ones, and if you really want a conversation to go on, bump the thread. if people care, they'll comment. it doesn't need another forum.

I'm aware of that. My concern wasn't that a thread wasn't 'going on.' More that they're always dragged down. Was hoping that if we made a new forum that wouldn't happen.

then just keep bumping the threads that you want to stay alive. honestly, if people cared, and actually wanted to have multiple serious discussions, they would. all threads eventually get "dragged" down, so revive the ones that you want to exist. if you're looking for a serious forum, i don't really think this is the place.

all your kind, they're coming clean
they shut their eyes
their mess, their scene
RollingPasture
Sea Post King

'Kay, Amidthestars, you're not getting what I'm saying.

When I say 'dragged down' I mean bombarded with spam. I know that threads live and die, that's just what happens. But threads don't need to be filled with idiot comments from people who don' t know what they're talking about, or even care. That's what I mean by getting 'dragged down.'
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

RollingPasture wrote:

When I say 'dragged down' I mean bombarded with spam. I know that threads live and die, that's just what happens. But threads don't need to be filled with idiot comments from people who don' t know what they're talking about, or even care. That's what I mean by getting 'dragged down.'

So now we need to weed out the idiots? Who will determine what is and what is not an idiot comment?
norad
Vintage Newbie

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES wrote:
RollingPasture wrote:

So now we need to weed out the idiots? Who will determine what is and what is not an idiot comment?

obviously him.