Laughing City
juan
Lost at Forum

in another topic Boyd and ilitherian mentioned the old songs

what do people want to happen to these songs? should Eisley put any of these on the full length? they are the songs that made me want to here more of Eisley, however, and i'm talking about head against the sky, telescope eyes and even the fantstic Mr Pine, etc (the indie versions). do people want these on the full length or should they be left alone in the depths of time? reason i ask is because thining back to the whole telescope eyes thing, it was totally changed for the ep, for fair reasons i guess, but not everyone liked it. what if this happens to those old indie recordings, will they still be as appealing?

maybe Eisley should carry on forward and continue to make the fantastic music they know they can, without using past songs.

then again i think we already know some of the older songs wll be on the full length, as Boyd has mentioed before, i think.

opinions?

- Charles Darwin (legend)
Joined: 04 Apr 2003 | Posts: 1296 | Location: Gateshead - good ol' blighty, up north
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

If they really like an older song, and it fits the full length, I see no reason they shouldn't use it. I know I"d like to see a song or two surface on a full-length. We know all or many of those earlier tunes, but we still aren't a huge number, so they're still quite unknown.

However, if it has been on one of the EPs, I think it's best to leave out for the most part. But a lot of bands have reused their early demo material through their entire careers. The Pixies and the Purple Tape demo are perfect examples. Their last CD (hopefully not last for long) had a song that appeared on that demo, which at that point was three full-lenghth albums and an EP old.

Dang, I'm out of time and need to go ... I hope that makes sense.
-Jamie

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ilitherian
Vintage Newbie

im perfectly content with my old indie recordings of the older stuff. i think that a band should always be pressing forward and writing stuff that is new and innovative and takes the audience to places they haven't ever been before with that band or any other. as much as it would be awesome for them to re-record and release the indie stuff i would prefer them to just concentrate on writing and recording a plethora of new and exponentially more beautiful music.

it is nice though when a band remembers their old songs so that when they play huge crowded auditoriums packed to the gills with adoring fans who paid scalpers 500 dollars just so that they could be there, its nice if they remember those old silly songs they played at the coffeehouses and the bars and the hell holes and give the nostalgic merry go round another whirl and play some old simple song to a crowd that hasn't heard it yet.

so when eisley gets to the aforementioned place (which should be by next thursday if the music scene knows whats good for itself) if they still occasionally played blackened crown or mr. pine (or head against the sky) i would most definently not hold it against them. Wink
Hierophant
Sea Post King

hey, um since you people seem to know about these old songs: do you know where i could get a hold of these songs (not the one's on the songs section of the website (except maybe telescope eyes which is incomplete)). oh yeah, legally of course or as to not get eisley pissed. it doesn't matter if they are live and stuff (which begs another question: are there any available live recordings somewhere (hidden within the forum or something or somewhere or nowhere or everwhere or idontknow). thanks anyways.
Joined: 30 Oct 2003 | Posts: 26 | Location: UC Santa Barbara, Ca
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ilitherian
Vintage Newbie

the old indie recordings should still be available on the eisley main site. a few forumers have them hosted remotely. but im not sure where.... im not the best at answering these kinds of questions.

honestly i don't think the band minds the distribution of the old indie recordings. considering they are available to download for free on the website.
juan
Lost at Forum

boyd has posted a few live songs in recent past. do a search for marvellous things or something as i'm sure that was one of them. other than that the older songs are on ep2. but i think this is now unavailable. Kim or Boyd may be able to help you. i dont know.

actually just had a thought. one of them maybe in the thread entitled recording news, or something.

Joined: 04 Apr 2003 | Posts: 1296 | Location: Gateshead - good ol' blighty, up north
keyboardplayer
Golly, Poster

i have live albums and live songs

but i'm not sharing.

*averts eyes*

Joined: 06 Nov 2002 | Posts: 743 | Location: there are places i remember.....
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

don't forget that they recorded full versions of Sun Feet and Mr Pine with Mike Mogis.........i would really like to hear those........but hopefully they will end up on the full length (prob newly recorded)

what songs are they playing live now?........that's prob a good indicator on half of the full length i'm guessing

juan
Lost at Forum

i hope the new Mr Pine is as good as the old one.

Boydmeister mentioned Golly Sandra, that was on the mtv thing.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

my dream would be an opening 1 -2 punch of Mr. Pine and Sun Feet. both of those are great all around and sort of OK Computer-ish in rhythm, texture......maybe it's just the sleigh bells that make me think that, i don't know