Laughing City
thesinisterpenguin
Vintage Newbie

Ben! Shocked Very Happy
boyd
Eisleyoid

I feel lured into this thread but i have to take some annonymous un-named band member to an airport at 5:45am so I mustn't be tempted. Later... i shall return.

"The industrialists never saw the fruit of their own labor - Post Moderism,
which I now proclaim as dead. Their forefathers digital revolutionists,
have accelerated the final resolve by punctuating an end to our chaotic
journey with a new manifesto and a new era: The Age of Meaning."

(manifesto's sold separate)
Welcome: Illuminists
sammm
Sea Post King

just reading a few of the comments...wow
selling out? really?
noooo
i think thats just a popular phrase that people use way to much now. a band gets signed and they have "sold out", or they make new music and start selling more merch. or calling them sell outs for becoming bigger in general is quite lame as well.
if your favorite band is getting bigger, shouldnt you be happy for them? sure you may be sad that your small town band is getting big, but you should be happy for them, because heck, isnt that what they want? to actually make it as a band?
btw, eisley is not selling out, and if you are worried about them becoming different people, i seriously doubt that. personally, from what ive seen they are the nicest people ive ever met. i dont think thats even possible.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

sammm wrote:
if your favorite band is getting bigger, shouldnt you be happy for them? sure you may be sad that your small town band is getting big, but you should be happy for them, because heck, isnt that what they want? to actually make it as a band?

Amen!

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
gundamit
Golly, Poster

Ecouter wrote:
Joshmess wrote:
patrock wrote:
"How are we even taking them serious?" you left out the "ly". Thus the "reread..." Wink

who CARES!

i care.
I care as well. Only deeper. Thats the only way I know how to care. Rolling Eyes

Despite all the hype you'll hear leading up to the release of the next album, I wouldn't worry about the next album resulting in monumental growth in the fan base for Eisley. I'll be satisfied if the album is just as advertised in the Trolleywood journal. I expect Eilsey's next album to be meticulously crafted and commercially appealing without the band trying to be something other than themselves.

The new album should represent the growth the band experienced in the years after the first album. To Eisley fans, the growth will be apparent but evolutionary not revolutionary. Like most living things, they'll grow, mature and get stronger and better at what they do. They'll grow, not mutate or explode.

That being the case, why would the mass market suddenly embrace the band? Hopefully their label will be happy enough with the results and (despite the non-blockbuster revenue streams generated) will continue to keep Eisley in the incubator (writing - recording - touring) as long as possible before the corporate bean counters step in.

If you want to worry about changes that might adversely effect the band and its continued growth, don't spend too much time on the problems mass market success can bring. Eisley is much too atypical to fall prey to stereotypical band implosions following commercial success. Its much more likely the mundane every day problems everyone experiences that'll be the ones to start nipping at the heels of the band.

I have no doubt that the individual members of the band will continue to evolve in whatever creative endeavors they choose once the the band Eisley is no more. But hopefully that'll be after a very long multi-generational run that leaves a huge body of work that is critically acclaimed universally, despite being met with initially ho-hum commercial success.

If you need to worry about something, why not choose something that is much more likely to happen? Start with death and taxes and work your way on down from there. Better yet, just relax and enjoy everything that is right with the world. Wink

Vintage Newbie

sammm wrote:
selling out? really?
noooo
i think thats just a popular phrase that people use way to much now. a band gets signed and they have "sold out", or they make new music and start selling more merch. or calling them sell outs for becoming bigger in general is quite lame as well.
btw, eisley is not selling out, and if you are worried about them becoming different people, i seriously doubt that. personally, from what ive seen they are the nicest people ive ever met. i dont think thats even possible.

no way dood! EIsleys totally sold out yo! once you put pen to paper you're a sell out and you work for the man mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
i totally hate those Eeeslys for seelings out yo!

hatehatehatehatehatehate!
love,
me
no seriously...love me? please?
sammm
Sea Post King

granpaturtle wrote:
sammm wrote:
selling out? really?
noooo

no way dood! EIsleys totally sold out yo! once you put pen to paper you're a sell out and you work for the man mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

love,
me

i dont know what to think from this.
i think the first thought that popped into my head was, if you hate eisley so much, then why the heck are you here? your on their website on the forum using their stuff. so technically you are promoting them using this.

and
i laugh at your closed mind.
haha..ha..heh.
i love, i dont hate, but, seriously, the man? pshhhh
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

You just met Andrew ... he's being facetious. Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
norad
Vintage Newbie

sammm wrote:
granpaturtle wrote:
sammm wrote:
selling out? really?
noooo

love,
me

i think the first thought that popped into my head was, if you hate eisley so much, then why the heck are you here? your on their website on the forum using their stuff. so technically you are promoting them using this.

and
haha..ha..heh.

Hah. But Eisley sucks! what else is he to say? Laughing
sammm
Sea Post King

patrock wrote:
sammm wrote:
granpaturtle wrote:
sammm wrote:
selling out? really?
noooo

love,
me

and
haha..ha..heh.

Hah. But Eisley sucks! what else is he to say? Laughing

*gasps for air*...blasphemy!! i will not have it!!

TheAntrider wrote:
You just met Andrew ... he's being facetious. Smile

oh...
dang i need to remeber peoples names
boyd
Eisleyoid

SELLING OUT
"ALL INVENTORY MUST GO! WE'RE SLASHING PRICES!!"

Ok...short weigh in: I believe that THE INDUSTRY - (whom Eisley would allegedly sell out too) is going to have to sell out to Eisley this time around... or be UTTERLY DESTROYED!!!

No for real - How 'bout a definition first: sell out: To compromise one's believes, opinions, values, identity, art, music for the sake of gain. The problem in interpreting that simple definition is nobody shares the exact core values. The Flaming Lips allowed that song "Do You Realize" to be used for a car commercial. I thought it was cool and enjoyed hearing it - as a fan Lips fan. Someone else might hate them for it and call them "Sell Outs". Plus, they're on a major! - they must be guilty.

Ben Gibbard of Deathcab sold a song to McDonalds... and maybe Honda. The Shins and Modest Mouse and other cool "indie bands" have been on stuff like "Smallville" and "OC", etc. It's the oldest concern in the book. Is it wrong? Is it bad? Does it compromise? I don't know. Is reaching a broader audience bad? Not implicitly... how else can a 40's crowd hear of the Flaming Lips unless perhaps when they're thinking Mitsubishi? What about Coldplay on some movie score? What if Eisley had the opportunity to have a song on an ipod commercial or on a Wes Anderson film... what about a Quinten film? What about a Ron Howard Film? ha ha. I'm just expanding the model for thought. What if Eisley had a song on "Lost"? At one time, Gwyneth wanted an Eisley song on one of her movies.

Labels and publishing companies are surely going to be looking for opportunities... not just for their big bands, but for little bands like Eisley. So you'd better figure out what you believe on these issues. (grins) With ginormous recoupment hanging o're head... and with a second, critical record on a major on the verge of release, it has to be management's concern... it has to be the label's concern... to deliver.

Truth - Eisley is not, at core, money motivated. But they're in the big leagues now and can't really afford to treat this opportunity like it's a free ride... or like some inheritance from an evil step father (the man : -). There is, perhaps, some virtue in being small... but not so much as it concerns longevity. Small = early death. tsk. tsk.

To me - getting big isn't selling out. Again, the Lips sold out the Hollywood Bowl. The Shins did a combined show w/ Belle and Sebastion at the same ginormous, historic, venue where great bands like the Beatles and Eisley have played... so... you see? Smile

On that note - Eisley, of course, is still small, and based on the growth rate thus far, I think we can expect a continous, gradual curve upwards - with no cause for sell out alarm. But I think you have to look at the history of a band to determine whether or not it's in their dna to sell out or not. I'm talking about character. That's what I'll can open (explore) next if this thread continues or I have time.

bd
---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------

"The industrialists never saw the fruit of their own labor - Post Moderism,
which I now proclaim as dead. Their forefathers digital revolutionists,
have accelerated the final resolve by punctuating an end to our chaotic
journey with a new manifesto and a new era: The Age of Meaning."

(manifesto's sold separate)
Welcome: Illuminists
Last edited by boyd on Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I find that a lot of "sell out" cries seem to come from people who seem to feel that their favorite bands somehow belong to them and that other people are stealing them when they get popular. It seems really selfish to me.

homesick_alien
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
I find that a lot of "sell out" cries seem to come from people who seem to feel that their favorite bands somehow belong to them and that other people are stealing them when they get popular. It seems really selfish to me.

My personal take on 'selling out" is a band who changes their style/sound solely for monetery gain. Musical progression is cool if it happens naturally but when an artist does it on purpose for reasons other than "the music" then thats selling out

So when it becomes more about money and a popularity contest instead of the actual music then thats selling out (imho)

I could name quite a few artists but I won't because it apparantly upsets people Rolling Eyes

Vintage Newbie

homesick_alien wrote:
TheAntrider wrote:

My personal take on 'selling out" is a band who changes their style/sound solely for monetery gain. Musical progression is cool if it happens naturally but when an artist does it on purpose for reasons other than "the music" then thats selling out

So when it becomes more about money and a popularity contest instead of the actual music then thats selling out (imho)

I could name quite a few artists but I won't because it apparantly upsets people Rolling Eyes

We all know you're just itching to say Metallica.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
homesick_alien
Vintage Newbie

Pantheon4 wrote:
homesick_alien wrote:
TheAntrider wrote:

We all know you're just itching to say Metallica.

Not really.There are a few bands who spring to mind actually, Including my favourite band

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>