Laughing City

Do you feel that the internet has made you more social?
yes
61%
 61%  [ 26 ]
no
38%
 38%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 42

Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

As the year 2006 draws to a close, people still think that the internet causes people to become less social. I'm not saying that the internet should or shouldn't replace face-to-face human interaction, but I want to get your thoughts on the issue.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
Clark
Vintage Newbie

Hmm..... "Social":

1. pertaining to, devoted to, or characterized by friendly companionship or relations: a social club.
2. seeking or enjoying the companionship of others; friendly; sociable; gregarious.
3. living or disposed to live in companionship with others or in a community, rather than in isolation: People are social beings.

I suppose if you look at in terms of physically socializing with people, then sure, if your on the internet, your not doing much of that.

But after looking at the definitions, it seems as though you can be just as 'social' on the internet as in the real world. Sure, I prefer face-to-face human interaction, but I don't feel 'less social' if i'm interacting with others on the internet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Eff yeah.

Before the Internet, I hung out with a bunch of people from school (if ever anyone) who were mostly pretty lame and awful friends. Great for getting drunk (which I never did) with and getting left out (because I wasn't a partier, I guess).

It's easier to break past some conversational barriers online, I've found, too. While the in-person element is vital at some point, many things that seem to come out easier online are extremely helpful in figuring out a person. Also, I have a whole nation of potential friends, and not just the gamble of finding someone local.

I think something like the Eisley forum serves as a better friendship base than school. Here, we have a band in common. Which means we more often have at least a portion of our taste of music in common. And it also seems to draw compatible crowds (for the most part). So here, I've found it easier to find people who I have more in common with, and who live lives that tend to be more compatible with mine. There are negatives, sure, but willingness and ability can overcome many of those.

School offered me people whose only common link to me was more likely that we happened to attend class in the same rooms of a campus. The upside being that those people were generally more accessible. But what you look for in friendship also has a role in this.

I wouldn't dare cut off one or the other sources. Locking off the world via the Internet seems awfully limiting and closed-minded, but locking yourself out of your surroundings tends to be destructive.

With honesty and openess, many of my online friendships have transitioned perfectly into great in-person friendships. It's actually just as easy to get trapped in a box in person, too.

It's always dependent on situations, but I'm glad I am open to exploring both avenues for socializing. Also (to get back to the question, I think), I feel that being able to "practice" online has made me a much more comfortable conversationalist.

I lost track of my thoughts ... I'll just post this.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
anotherrandomtuesday
Vintage Newbie

Yes. I got on the internet more and more this year, and it's helped me be more social with my friends in other towns (and in one case, other states) than before. Now if I want to talk to them later at night, the phone ringing won't disturb anyone else. I talk to my friend in sacramento twice as much as I used to.
Joined: 28 Jul 2005 | Posts: 4455 | Location: Sacramento, CA.
thesinisterpenguin
Vintage Newbie

i've met at least 20 good friends on the internet, more specifically deviantart. 20+ in fact. closer to 35 probably.
i have met two people from here in real life and one was sprocket.
the internet allows me to talk to people other than the people i have been at school with for the last 7 years and we have ran out of conversation and stuff.

with the internet i can talk to americans and australians and all the rest.
i have two best friends in america due to the internet.
i can also keep up with a friend in thailand.

if my friends are going out, i won't stay in on the internet, i'll still go out, but when we aren't doing anything, i can talk to everyone else all over the world.

in short form: yes. i have more friends because of the net. i talk to people more too.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Another good thing: The Internet closes distance. If a friend moves away, or you move away, you don't have to cease communicating as much. Or if you make a friend in a distant place, you can maintain and even enhance said friendship.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
thesinisterpenguin
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
Or if you make a friend in a distant place, you can maintain and even enhance said friendship.

plan the future too. ^-^
starbucksgod
Vintage Newbie

no the internet has made me less social
norad
Vintage Newbie

I like chatting it up in LC chat. We're a VERY social bunch.
gregorydymitrowicz
Vintage Newbie

Yeah, I think so. I've met some cool people online and also, yes, LC chat is cool.
anotherrandomtuesday
Vintage Newbie

LC chat is awesome. Pimps, hos, innocent bystanders, what more could you want? And third grade Amish girls. Can't forget that...
Joined: 28 Jul 2005 | Posts: 4455 | Location: Sacramento, CA.
Last edited by anotherrandomtuesday on Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

My friends and I used to schedule about 90% of our outings and adventures via the Internet.

That was before I met my boyfriend over the Internet and moved away from all my friends, and now it's Friday night and I'm sitting on my boyfriend's couch... using the Internet.

Crap. Sad

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
norad
Vintage Newbie

See. Internet dating is fine. Hannah hasn't been killed yet.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

If Aaron was gonna kill me, he would have had a much easier time of it at Bonnaroo when we met in person for the first time. Now he'd have to get all my stuff out of his apartment, not to mention the corpse.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
norad
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
If Aaron was gonna kill me, he would have had a much easier time of it at Bonnaroo when we met in person for the first time. Now he'd have to get all my stuff out of his apartment, not to mention the corpse.

So you guys met there. Were you making out at the end of the day?

goto page
 | next >>