50%  [ 9 ]
Y
50%
 50%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 18

BNROCKS
Vintage Newbie

here's another one of these questions:

Two people have a week to live and are in intense pain. Assume that you know nothing about them or that they are equal in all circumstances. Except for two things. Patient X's pain is 15% more excruciating than patient Y's pain. Patient X's illness was caused by the cigarettes about whose warnings he constantly ignored, while patient's Y's illness was through no fault of his own. Only one of those two patients can be given pain medication that will put them in a state of rest for the week. The other will have to suffer. Who would you give it to?

If you would give the meds to patient Y, would your answer change at any point if paitent X's pain was greater? at what % would you change your mind?
ride4Jesus
Vintage Newbie

i would probably say the smoker because many people in my family have had lung cancer caused by tobacco. if they are in more pain, i would say give it to them, no matter how they got into that state. its' a hard decision though.
Joined: 10 Mar 2007 | Posts: 2482 | Location: San Diego, California
granpaturtle
Vintage Newbie

smoker, just because he enjoyed cigarettes doesn't mean he deserves to hurt more
Miss Pine
Golly, Poster

The smoker. Whoever's in the most pain should have the medication -- I would still feel terribly for Y, however, who's illness was no fault of his own.
MarchesxManeuvers
Sea Post King

I think I'd have to say I'd give it to the non-smoker, actually. Just because it wasn't their fault and they've done nothing to deserve it, so I'd assume their mental pain might be worse. As radiohead says (hah that sounds so lame) "You do it to yourself, you do, and that's what really hurts"

I'm not at all saying the smoker deserves it, people in my family have gotten cancer from smokeng, etc, and I understand it is an addiction, but for the non-smoker, it would be kind of like a reward, a 'you didn't let this into your life, here is some help." And it's only 15%...

Actually, I'd have to think about it more, really. Confused

dot.Syntax (fun);
Joined: 20 Jun 2004 | Posts: 426 | Location: Chicago/Minneapolis
ride4Jesus
Vintage Newbie

yeah it's a hard one.
Joined: 10 Mar 2007 | Posts: 2482 | Location: San Diego, California
MarchesxManeuvers
Sea Post King

Ok this is completely cynical and somewhat horrible of me to say, BUT I think if i gave the smoker the medicine, and then they were fine for that week, They'd probably smoke during that time. I mean, maybe not, but the smokers I know certainly would. AAH this is tough.

dot.Syntax (fun);
Joined: 20 Jun 2004 | Posts: 426 | Location: Chicago/Minneapolis
Sprocket
Vintage Newbie

If they're both in intense pain and are only expected to live for one for week I personally feel one must consider the ethics of keeping them alive at all.
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Sprocket wrote:
If they're both in intense pain and are only expected to live for one for week I personally feel one must consider the ethics of keeping them alive at all.

I would give the pain medicine to the one who did not smoke and is in 15% less pain, assuming both are in excruciating pain. How long they are expected to live has nothing to do with if you should try to ease their pain. If they are in excruciating pain, and the medicine can alleviate the pain, then it should be given. If the pain differential were greater, say 30%, I would give the pain medicine to the smoker. But 15% greater pain, how can one even claim they are in 15% more pain with pain being such a subjective thing (I doubt that small of a margin of difference could even be measured).