Laughing City
em-tucky
Sea Post King

Quote:
LABELS.
I'm not wanting to brag really; I mean on Eisley's label... because the state of the industry right now is scary, volitile, shifty, cranky, depressive, paranoidial... worrisome. But I can't not mention that WB is the top label in the WORLD right now. OK... Ok... Perhaps just in the US - dunno. While all labels are reporting mudslide losses, WB is positively eeking things out... way ahead of the pack.

Why? I honestly think they're better. They sign better bands and keep them (if possible). While most other labels sign pop acts and push singles instead of forwarding careers, WB has a solid rock roster, they believe in music, people, consistency... they work hard to stay on course. Tom Whalley is intelligent, a motivator, a music lover.... A leader.

I kinda was scratching my head as I was reading this praise for WB. Yeah, Eisley seems to have it pretty good with the label. WB supports them and has treated them right (for now). But this is not the case for every band or artist they sign. Ever heard of a band, Maxeen?

Maxeen signed to WB about 3 years ago. Promises were made. Not many kept. In the last 3 years the label made them drop off a major tour (supporting Motion City Soundtrack) to record, and then DELAYED the recording. After FINALLY getting into the studio, they recorded and were able to score the Relient K tour and the label made them drop off a few shows on the tour to RE-record some of the album. So the waiting to release the album begins...and continues and continues...finally last fall they were smart and started selling a "tour edition" of the album while out on the road because WB refuses to release the album, seems they "don't hear a single" from the album. So, 3 years later and still no album AND the label refuses to release the band from their contract. How's that for the label believing in their bands?

Another case of them believing in people? My friend makes a cross-country move (not company paid) on their request to come work for WB-Nashville, within 3 months she's laid off.

I know this happens in "the biz" all the time. I'm aware, but what I'm trying to point out is that WB is not immune to the big bad major label stigma, I'd say it probably happens just as much at WB as it does at the others. I'm sure there's tons of artists at WB getting paid $0.02 per album.
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

All major labels suck. Some just suck a tiny bit less.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
RockerChick
Sea Post King

Wanker Brothers has a thousand stories like that, but you have to understand that their roster is HUGE, so you will have success/happy people, and not so happy/dropped people. I'm sure there are a ton of bands happy on WMG. It's similar with the other big three. (four? what number are we on? Laughing) You just have to role with it and hope for the best. I may not always agree with going the route of a company like WMG, but their power and resources are endless. They have a large chunk of the market share in music, and if Eisley can play their cards right I think the label will do wonderous things for "Combinations."
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

RockerChick wrote:
Wanker Brothers has a thousand stories like that, but you have to understand that their roster is HUGE, so you will have success/happy people, and not so happy/dropped people. I'm sure there are a ton of bands happy on WMG. It's similar with the other big three. (four? what number are we on? Laughing) You just have to role with it and hope for the best. I may not always agree with going the route of a company like WMG, but their power and resources are endless. They have a large chunk of the market share in music, and if Eisley can play their cards right I think the label will do wonderous things for "Combinations."

It's really not a matter of Eisley playing their cards right; they've already done their part in writing and recording these songs and that's pretty much the limit of their control right now. If the label does good things for them it's because the label wants to. It seems like Eisley has a pretty good relationship with the WB people they work with on a regular basis, and that's nice to see, but it's no guarantee of anything.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
madcat2089
Sea Post King

DRMS_7888 wrote:
All major labels suck. Some just suck a tiny bit less.
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

I feel bad for Record Labels, nowadays.
They're in a maturing market.
It's viscious.

I think a good point that Boyd-oyd brought up
is that they are people.
A label is a group of people, each acting out of free will.
As are the bands.

When people work together, things go great sometimes, sometimes not so great.

Eisley has the distinct advantage of being the most adorable people that are impossible not to get along with. (from what I hear).

I think that Eisley will do okay, and I'm sure Warner Bros. is doing their best to bring good music to us. Since that is how they make money.
Joined: 31 May 2004 | Posts: 2018 | Location: Sacramento, CA
Kit
Sea Post King

em-tucky wrote:
So, 3 years later and still no album AND the label refuses to release the band from their contract.

So, I take it this isn't some kind of official release?

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:dxftxqrrldje
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

cynlovescandy wrote:
It's viscious.

is that they are people.
As are the bands.

When people work together, things go great sometimes, sometimes not so great.

Eisley has the distinct advantage of being the most adorable people that are impossible not to get along with. (from what I hear).

I think that Eisley will do okay, and I'm sure Warner Bros. is doing their best to bring good music to us. Since that is how they make money.

I like that. I think labels' main problem is that they become more interested in sure money than art. I know they have to make money, but they lose sight of everything but sometimes. Also, they refuse to let go of the old ways and embrace the new ones. If they had not clinged so hard to the old ways and embraced digital formats like Apple, they would not have been bested by said computer company. It's sad that the music industry was beaten at its own game by a computer company.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
RockerChick
Sea Post King

cynlovescandy wrote:
It's viscious.

is that they are people.

Laughing I don't feel bad...but I don't really feel good either. I hate seeing people lose their jobs, but you have to remember that labels are BUSINESSES. They make money by feeding your ears garbage on the radio, and if a giant mass of people catch on to a single, you can bet they're laughing all the way to the bank. It doesn't matter how manufactured or shallow a song may be. This isn't 1969 where we can all drop acid and chill with record execs who thing our songs are such great artistic expressions of our soullls. There's no time for waiting around for anything solid. Everything has to have a time frame, has to be fast. If a song/record doesn't click, move onto the next one. Music is like a conveyor belt now, and everything is kind of packaged and redundant. But what baffles me, is that if you people really WANTED intelligent talent playing on the radio, you could demand it and they would give it to you. Because in the end, labels are at the mercy of the consumer. But people don't demand good music, so they don't get it. Although now things are stirring up with satellite radio and downloading....I'm excited.
Kit
Sea Post King

Sometimes labels are flat out stupid. This probably isn't the best example but Mariah Carey signed a major bucks deal with Virgin in the early part of the millenium as most of you know. Her first release for the label was Glitter, which basically bit the big one and barely went gold. Her label freaked out, bought her out of her contract, and fired the person who signed her. Next thing you know she pops up on Island/Def Jam and scores one of the biggest albums of 2005 with Emancipation of Mimi, selling 5 million copies alone in the U.S. - numbers unheard of today. Now, if I were the guy who got canned at Virgin, I'd be pretty pissed off.

There's just no way to predict the market. And at the rate people are actually buying records, I can see why record labels are hesitant to take chances.
em-tucky
Sea Post King

Kit wrote:
em-tucky wrote:
So, 3 years later and still no album AND the label refuses to release the band from their contract.

So, I take it this isn't some kind of official release?

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:dxftxqrrldje

if you'll notice the title says "tour edition" at the top.
the album was never officially released, the band just made copies themselves to sell on tour and such

they are still technically under a contract with WB, b/c the label won't let them go
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
Also, they refuse to let go of the old ways and embrace the new ones. If they had not clinged so hard to the old ways and embraced digital formats like Apple, they would not have been bested by said computer company. It's sad that the music industry was beaten at its own game by a computer company.

The same can be said of television shows being tracked by Nielsen ratings, which don't take into account people who watch the shows with VCRs, DVRs, online, and downloadable formats. All these new ways to watch television, yet shows are routinely yanked off the air based solely on their Nielsen rating without taking into account how popular the show is on the other formats. Yes, I'm still ranting about Jericho. But everything is changing in the digital age, and the music music, television, movies are all being viewed / listened to in ways not imagined a decade ago and the industry needs to keep up with the times.
boyd
Eisleyoid

yeah... good point. well taken. Most people, entities, corporations are very into self-preservation these days; especially record labels. I think I was just feeling good about what I was hearing at the label... their attitude, their vibe, their effort, etc. Plus, the stats speak volumes.

I can't vouch for the sad stories of other bands have. All bands have a beginning and an end. I'm all about the middle. We're here while we're here. One day, Eisley will have their own sad story... and this forum will just be some magnetic space on a server - waiting to be over-written by some random digital file...or by another popular band.

"The industrialists never saw the fruit of their own labor - Post Moderism,
which I now proclaim as dead. Their forefathers digital revolutionists,
have accelerated the final resolve by punctuating an end to our chaotic
journey with a new manifesto and a new era: The Age of Meaning."

(manifesto's sold separate)
Welcome: Illuminists
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

boyd wrote:
and this forum will just be some magnetic space on a server - waiting to be over-written by some random digital file...or by another popular band.

haha, you're such a hopeless realist Boyd.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger